The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know why Oxford and Cambridge are sooooo competitive...sometimes i feel doubtful whether i will be applying there even though i'm an average student... :redface:
I'd say go for it -
You'll still be considered for History and English separately - so if you were great in one but less so in another, they could potentially offer you just History or just English.

As mentioned you only need to sit the HAT not the ELAT, the HAT is very important so work on that.
Your personal statement and submitted essays need to be good, you'll need to send one history essay and two English,

This is the selection criteria the history faculty applies:
The following criteria are to be applied in the assessment of candidates for History. In the case of candidates for the Joint Schools with History, these criteria are to be applied in assessment for the History side of each school.

Intellectual curiosity
Conceptual clarity
Flexibility - the capacity to engage with alternative perspectives and/or new information
Accuracy and attention to detail
Critical engagement
Capacity for hard work
Enthusiasm for History
Evidence of historical imagination and understanding, in particular, the ability to speculate and compare, alongside the possession of appropriate historical knowledge and the capacity to deploy it.

English is pretty similar but obviously showing interest in English instead.

If you get an interview just relax and be yourself, the interviewers know what they're looking for and are great at determining whether the course and university is right for you. It may be that you don't get in and it's a blessing in disguise.

At the end of the day it's only one choice and it's worth a shot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest