The Student Room Group

YORK vs NOTTINGHAM

So basically I still haven't chosen which uni to accept and I've whittled it down to York or Nottingham. It shouldn't be such a hard decision but I dropped out of uni last year because I was really unhappy there so for me it's really important I get it right this time.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any more about the unis, maybe if you go to either of them and could help me get more of an insight? I'm studying chemistry by the way.

My thoughts on them currently:
York:
- Fab chem department, brand new labs this year which were AMAZING
- Quite unattractive campus in comparison to Notts
- Love the college system
- Quite concerned about the nightlife as I'm keen to go out quite a lot.
- Course looks really interesting, year abroad happens in the 4th year which I like the sound of.
- Really good choice of accommodation, self catered halls available with group kitchens which would really suit me.
- Beautiful city, really safe for when we live out in 2nd and 3rd years.

Nottingham:
- Amazing campus, feels really homely
-Course looks really good, loads of flexibility but year abroad happens in year 3 which I'm not too keen on (although don't actually know if a year abroad is something I'll want to do yet)
- Town is nice, great facilities
- Good nightlife
- Department wasn't particularly nice
- Better graduate prospects
- No accommodation that I really like the look of.

I think I'm basically over thinking it too much but I'm really worried about making the wrong decision again.

Any comments about student life/the courses at either uni would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply 1
Hi,

I am at uni in york. Dint worry about the nightlife there is alot going on in York . People just don't realise.

York uni is not in the centre of town so you need to get a taxi really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It looks as though your gut is telling you York. Trust yourself!
Original post by hatz88
So basically I still haven't chosen which uni to accept and I've whittled it down to York or Nottingham. It shouldn't be such a hard decision but I dropped out of uni last year because I was really unhappy there so for me it's really important I get it right this time.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any more about the unis, maybe if you go to either of them and could help me get more of an insight? I'm studying chemistry by the way.

My thoughts on them currently:
York:
- Fab chem department, brand new labs this year which were AMAZING
- Quite unattractive campus in comparison to Notts
- Love the college system
- Quite concerned about the nightlife as I'm keen to go out quite a lot.
- Course looks really interesting, year abroad happens in the 4th year which I like the sound of.
- Really good choice of accommodation, self catered halls available with group kitchens which would really suit me.
- Beautiful city, really safe for when we live out in 2nd and 3rd years.

Nottingham:
- Amazing campus, feels really homely
-Course looks really good, loads of flexibility but year abroad happens in year 3 which I'm not too keen on (although don't actually know if a year abroad is something I'll want to do yet)
- Town is nice, great facilities
- Good nightlife
- Department wasn't particularly nice
- Better graduate prospects
- No accommodation that I really like the look of.

I think I'm basically over thinking it too much but I'm really worried about making the wrong decision again.

Any comments about student life/the courses at either uni would be greatly appreciated!!

These were the two I was deciding between so I can see why it's such a tough choice!
Reply 4
Mind you, there is a Hide and Soc society at Nottingham. That's got to be a draw, surely (or am I the only one who thinks that sounds brilliant)?
Reply 5
Original post by lauraaaaa
These were the two I was deciding between so I can see why it's such a tough choice!

Which did you choose in the end? I know, such a tough choice!
Original post by hatz88
Which did you choose in the end? I know, such a tough choice!

York :3
Reply 7
Original post by lauraaaaa
York :3

And how is it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending