The Student Room Group

Worried :/ help :)

Ok I'm in yr 9 and we have to start revising but I don't know any effective ways to revise, only cards but I do t want to do that, I'm also worried they if I do figure out a way to revise I'll revise all the wrong things:confused:
Reply 1
BBC bite size has revision material and little practice tests! http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/
Reply 2
Reply 3
i suggest Mind Maps, i dont use them but they are very useful! i still remember the life of Cassius clay (Muhammad Ali) from a mind map i made 6 months ago!

use online revision videos that summarize your topic
Reply 4
okay, first take a deep breath and calm... okay, everyone has their own methods for revising and as hard as the truth is, you won't know your best technique till you've tried all the methods and got good results. personally I like to take notes on everything I've written... reading things out loud helps it sink into your brain too. use at least 2 different methods per test for best results but try not tro waste time over complicating it all. Good luck with your tests! :smile:
Are you revising for GCSEs (i.e. sitting them a few years early) or just internal school exams?
Assuming the latter:
Use BBC Bitesize
Buy some GGP KS3 revision guides (probably quite cheap on eBay now that KS3 exams have been scrapped - your school will probably just give you old KS3 papers/ questions though, I doubt the syllabus would have changed too much) and read through them - they have little test yourself questions at the end of each chapter which are very useful to check you have remembered the key points.
Redo any class tests/ homework sheets on topics you are less sure of - e.g. if during Autumn term you did a topic test on geometry and you didn't do very well/ think you have forgotten everything, redo the test then check your answers against your previous ones/ ask your teacher to have a look at it.
Make revision quizes for subjects like History/ Science etc. where there are a lot of things to memorise, and have quizes with your friends.
Find some KS3 past papers (probably online, or ask your teacher) for the 'core' subjects and do a couple of those for each subject.

Best thing to do is start soon - stop panicking that you aren't revising and start doing something. You'll find which methods work best for you.
It may help you to create a revision plan - make a list of the things you want to do (e.g. which class tests you want to redo, which revision guides you need to read, etc.) and approximately how long you think these will take. Try to split them into 1-2 hour chunks then plan to do one or two chunks each evening (and more at the weekends, but give yourself some time off) until your exams.
In my school we were told about several techniques: Writing and re-writing notes, reading through notes, covering them and repeating what you have learnt until you remember it. Mind maps/ spider diagrams, which are more visual methods, add drawings to trigger your memory. Flashcards to make notes on. Look at the kinds of questions that you will be asked and practice how you would answer them using your notes (I find this the most effective, I do this now for my a levels). Try not to get too stressed, the exams will be over soon!
Original post by Twaring
Ok I'm in yr 9 and we have to start revising but I don't know any effective ways to revise, only cards but I do t want to do that, I'm also worried they if I do figure out a way to revise I'll revise all the wrong things:confused:

For the vast majority of subjects, BBC Bitesize should suffice, however for courses such as Physics and Mathematics, I would recommend using Khan Academy, and MathsWork. I used them for GCSE.

EDIT: For English, I would recommend using Englishbiz.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you all for your help I hope it works :smile:) xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending