The Student Room Group

Is joining a gym a narcissistic endeavour? (lifting, not cardio)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Illogical post is illogical.

One of us works hard to try and change our body into something it is not.The other is happy and secure as he is.

Why are you unhappy with your body?

I think there is too much of this idea that you should be happy with yourself no matter what

(I said it)

I don't fat shame women (or men), because it's not my business what thy do with their lives, but if you are a man with 14-16% bodyfat and very little muscle, there is no reason for you to be proud of your body, you should be proud of stuff you have earned though hard work.

people who lift are trying to get bigger muscles. The question is, why would they want bigger muscles? My muscles are big enough as they are.

See above

I could ask why bother studying if you would be happy earning minimum wage.
Reply 21
Original post by Converse Rocker
Given the body can change massively, I don't understand your statement 'something it is not'. The body is forever changing.

I wouldn't say I am unhappy, I just could be happier. I don't see a problem with that. Having spent a few years running at a decent level of cross country, I was left looking like a strong breeze could blow me away. People would joke that I needed to eat a cheeseburger (I wasn't bullied, just told I was 'too skinny')

Also, you assume the only reason for lifting is the result. It's actually very enjoyable, you should try it some time mate.

I did, when I used to play rugby. It was boring as ****, but it was a means to an end.

Once I gave up rugby, I no longer needed to bench press 100kg, so I spent my time doing something more useful instead.
I did, when I used to play rugby. It was boring as ****, but it was a means to an end.

Once I gave up rugby, I no longer needed to bench press 100kg, so I spent my time doing something more useful instead.

Fair play mate. It's not for you which is fine. Equally, there are sports that bore me to tears, but I don't try and allude to the size of the genitals of the men that do like it.
Reply 23
Original post by yo radical one
I think there is too much of this idea that you should be happy with yourself no matter what

(I said it)

I don't fat shame women (or men), because it's not my business what thy do with their lives, but if you are a man with 14-16% bodyfat and very little muscle, there is no reason for you to be proud of your body, you should be proud of stuff you have earned though hard work.

See above

I could ask why bother studying if you would be happy earning minimum wage.

Becoming more informed, educated is useful. Having huge muscles is not.
Becoming more informed, educated is useful. Having huge muscles is not.

To what ends? Are you going to be a great scientist and make discoveries yourself?
Reply 25
Original post by Converse Rocker
Fair play mate. It's not for you which is fine. Equally, there are sports that bore me to tears, but I don't try and allude to the size of the genitals of the men that do like it.

Its not really a sport though, beyond a certain point, its just distorting your body into something unnecessary and unattractive, like spending 3 hours a week stretching your earlobes until they reach the floor.
Reply 26
Self improvement is great, I'm all for that, but unless you're starting off as a skinny dweeb, becoming musclier is not really an improvement.

It won't make you better at sport, it won't make you more attractive to women, it won't make you live longer.

I'm starting off as a skinny dweeb (see other thread) and find testosterone stops me from being a nervous wreck and spending all my day on the Internet, is that an improvement? :tongue:

I'd say lifting on its own is probably a bit unhealthy-but no-one can deny that aesthetics are attractive at least in gaining initial attention. As for making you better at sport? Pretty sure every athlete has to regularly strength train to prevent injury and loss of bone density :s-smilie:

I sort of agree with you when you're talking about extremes like Arnie (although admire his dedication).
Reply 27
To what ends? Are you going to be a great scientist and make discoveries yourself?

Maybe, yeah. What's your point?
Reply 28
Self improvement is great, I'm all for that, but unless you're starting off as a skinny dweeb, becoming musclier is not really an improvement.

It won't make you better at sport, it won't make you more attractive to women, it won't make you live longer.

Won't make you better at sport? well it has certainly helped me with my rock climbing.

And as for it won't make you more attractive to women, right because women HATE muscles :rolleyes: there is a point where being musclier won't help you, but until you getting to 'roid fuelled schwarzenegger levels it is going to make you look better than just sitting around.
Maybe, yeah. What's your point?

All things fulfill a function

Working out to look better, is no worse than learning to pass exams and get a better job.

Equally working out boosts T which improves mood so it isn't necessarily just about looks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Riku
I'm starting off as a skinny dweeb (see other thread) and find testosterone stops me from being a nervous wreck and spending all my day on the Internet, is that an improvement? :tongue:

I'd say lifting on its own is probably a bit unhealthy-but no-one can deny that aesthetics are attractive at least in gaining initial attention. As for making you better at sport? Pretty sure every athlete has to regularly strength train to prevent injury and loss of bone density :s-smilie:

I sort of agree with you when you're talking about extremes like Arnie (although admire his dedication).

That is what I was talking about. Gym bunnies. Guys who do it for reasons other than sport.

A lot of people mistake muscles for aesthetics, whereas in reality most women do not find large muscles attractive in the slightest. This is the bit that confuses me.
Reply 31
All things fulfill a function

Working out to look better, is no worse than learning to pass exams and get a better job.

Equally working out boosts T which improves mood so it isn't necessarily just about looks

But it doesn't make you look better, it makes you look worse. This is the point.
Reply 32
But it doesn't make you look better, it makes you look worse. This is the point.

That's your subjective opinion.

We think differently, so there's no point in further arguing this pointless discussion.
Reply 33
Original post by tehforum
That's your subjective opinion.

We think differently, so there's no point in further arguing this pointless discussion.

I am heterosexual so I really have no strong subjective opinion about how other men look. If you personally like the muscly look on your men that is fine.

What I mean is that objectively speaking, you are significantly less likely to be attractive to women if you have big muscles. Multiple polls and research proves this time and time again.

Unless you take steroids (which I would not recommend), it makes you look better

and even if you do think it makes you look worse (I honestly believe you are trying to bring people down to your level because you are lazy, but that's just my suspicion) if it improves health and mood, then who cares if some people don't like how it looks? :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
I am heterosexual so I really have no strong subjective opinion about how other men look. If you personally like the muscly look on your men that is fine.

What I mean is that objectively speaking, you are significantly less likely to be attractive to women if you have big muscles. Multiple polls and research proves this time and time again.

Bodybuilder big, yes of course.

But say 'James Bond' big, and women are all over the body.
Reply 36
Original post by tehforum
Bodybuilder big, yes of course.

But say 'James Bond' big, and women are all over the body.

James Bond is just a normal looking bloke.
Its not really a sport though, beyond a certain point, its just distorting your body into something unnecessary and unattractive, like spending 3 hours a week stretching your earlobes until they reach the floor.

Funnily enough I'd be inclined to agree. So let's settle on hobby.

If we are saying people shouldn't lift to get bigger because it's not useful, what's the point of any hobby? Why do anything if you aren't elite at it - it's not useful. You could be reading and learning* something.

*Already explained what I've learnt in my first post, so that's a null point anyway. Basically my point is - do whatever you enjoy and don't try and put others down for doing something different.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Unless you take steroids (which I would not recommend), it makes you look better

and even if you do think it makes you look worse (I honestly believe you are trying to bring people down to your level because you are lazy, but that's just my suspicion) if it improves health and mood, then who cares if some people don't like how it looks? :dontknow:

It doesn't improve health at all, bodybuilding is notoriously damaging.
Reply 39
James Bond is just a normal looking bloke.

Er no.

Your standards are higher because you've been playing rugby, and all the guys there are bigger than your average bloke.

An average bloke does not look like James Bond.

Quick Reply

Latest