The Student Room Group

I can't revise and I am getting really stressed

Hi, I am Waqas and this my first post on TSR. I am currently at Sixth Form studying AS Computing, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I have both my Unit 1 and 2 exams coming up for all 4 of my subjects and I also have 2 Task 3 EMPAs to sit for the sciences.

My problem is I don't work. I haven't paid much attention so far and its April now and my exams are in a month. I did decently in my GCSEs but I never really tried hard, just a bit of last minute revision. I stand at BCDE at the moment and I must do much better.

Recently, the limited amount of time I had left to work hit me and I really wanted to revise, but I didn't know how. Even when I was in this state of panic, I couldn't revise. I hate making notes and I have a short attention span and if I find something boring I will zone out. I always find myself procrastinating and I just can't help it.

Someone please help me? Oh and don't suggest retaking the year as my school don't allow it and I am not wanting to move school. I want to get it done this year but I need help.

Thanks. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
the only advise i can give you, which i have to act upon as well is to make a time table and plan precisely and stick to it, try downloading notes for your subject and learn them. i learn by making note and find it difficult to understand the concept of reading and remembering notes.

obviously stay away from all the distraction ie not on computer like me am procrastination on TSR.
ok i got to get off now bye.
Reply 2
I've tried making a revision timetable but I can never stick to one as I always get distracted.

I'll try and download some notes though, but I'm afraid I won't learn much just by reading them... I need a technique that is good for learning the work but not as mind-numbing as making notes.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and good luck with your exams! :smile:
Reply 3
Bump?
If you have trouble revising, try and revise somewhere that's free from distraction i.e. no tv, facebook or twitter etc. If you like to listen to music during revising try to go for something that doesn't have any lyrics in it - that way you'll be less tempted to sing along and get distracted.
When you're settled down, set a timer if you wish for about 45mins to 1 hour. After that give yourself around a 20-30 minute break and do something that will help your brain relax and hopefully you can get back to revising without feeling head-achy.
Wish all the best :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Waqas_19
Hi, I am Waqas and this my first post on TSR. I am currently at Sixth Form studying AS Computing, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I have both my Unit 1 and 2 exams coming up for all 4 of my subjects and I also have 2 Task 3 EMPAs to sit for the sciences.

My problem is I don't work. I haven't paid much attention so far and its April now and my exams are in a month. I did decently in my GCSEs but I never really tried hard, just a bit of last minute revision. I stand at BCDE at the moment and I must do much better.

Recently, the limited amount of time I had left to work hit me and I really wanted to revise, but I didn't know how. Even when I was in this state of panic, I couldn't revise. I hate making notes and I have a short attention span and if I find something boring I will zone out. I always find myself procrastinating and I just can't help it.

Someone please help me? Oh and don't suggest retaking the year as my school don't allow it and I am not wanting to move school. I want to get it done this year but I need help.

This is what you will do revise what ever you can now this is the only chance you will get to revise imagine opening your results on results day and you find all grade U's how will you feel when everyone else has got good grades and you're standing there with grade U's?? I'm also behind for my revision but i'm still trying. If you have a short attention span then take regular breaks

Also if you don't like taking notes just read through you class work or text book then try past papers if you can't do them then keep trying until you know how to do it. No one is going to revise for you, it's time you took responsibility of your own revision ... if you don't revise now it will ruin your future is that what you really want? Do you want to live of state benefits for the rest of your life....???? :cool:
Original post by Waqas_19

Ensure that you understand the basics of your subject. If you don't, have a quick whiz through all of the content, making concise notes as you go along. Maybe develop a revision time table. But this needs to be done as soon as you have the opportunity.

Once you have gained a basic understanding of all of your subjects go over past papers and their mark schemes. This is important as you need to understand the format of the exam and how to cope under the time pressures.

To avoid 'zoning out' as you said, make you revision fun! It sounds impossible but it can be done. Set yourself some targets and if you achieve the target, reward yourself. But more importantly make sure that whilst you are prioritising your studies, you have time to go out and enjoy your hobbies (e.g. during a short revision break, go outside and kick a football or something).

If you need a bit more help, feel free to ask me (or anyone else who is willing to help). :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you guys, in the past couple of days I have started doing quite a bit of work. I try to make sure I understand the content before going onto past papers (As TheStudent18 suggested). I still have to make a few notes but it's alright. Thank you everyone who helped so far. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest