The Student Room Group

Is patriotism racism?

I see patriotism as a clear way of segregating people, and influencing populations to be less tolerant towards others that don't live in the same country as them. It's geographical elitism.

Or maybe I just have a cynical view and should feel pride with regards to where I come from?

With globalisation being more prominent as time goes on, this issue arises very regularly and I judge people as racist when they say 'true England is being lost to all these immagrants' and comments of the sort. Is that an incorrect judgement?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm proud and patriotic at being British, but I love meeting and welcoming people from new cultures and places. I understand how to respect and honour your traditions, without forcing out new arrivals as well. People overcomplicate things and resist change. That's why patriotism is sometimes seen as extremely right wing.
People can be both, patriotic and accept other nationalities and cultures at the same time. What is so bad to be proud of the own country? there is no contradiction in my opinion.
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
People can be both, patriotic and accept other nationalities and cultures at the same time. What is so bad to be proud of the own country? there is no contradiction in my opinion.

I would feel less connected, welcome and similar to other people if they were being patriotic toward a different nation than my own. I feel I could never truly be part of their click.

Is there any need/benefit to distinguish and, more importantly, declare you are from a different place to someone else? I see a more negative impact by portraying your nationality than positive.

Although there are many people who are both patriotic and accepting, I fear that patriotism fuels racism. Newspapers like The Sun can also play on patriotism to make the majority of the nation believe we need to keep Britain traditionally British i.e. keep foreign people and views out.
Reply 4
Whenever people get patriotic about their own countries, it either encourages me to read into their nation more (if I didn't know much already) or start a discussion based on their nation when I do. i.e I often ask americans why they are so crazily flag happy.
Original post by PappaWilks
x

I see what you mean. But in my opinion it depends on situation. Imagine there is a football match between two different nations at a world championship to name an example. The fans of the one country want to see their team to win as well as the fans of the other country. During the match every single fan in the stadium is a patriot, as every single fan cheer the team up. What is so bad about that? these different nations are not at enmity. On the contrary! as far as I know there were fans from different nations who made a friendship before a match. That is not racist, isn't it?
If you think your country is better than any other country, thats patriotism. When you think being from that country makes you better than anyone one from any other country, thats racism.
Reply 7
Original post by Kallisto
I see what you mean. But in my opinion it depends on situation. Imagine there is a football match between two different nations at a world championship to name an example. The fans of the one country want to see their team to win as well as the fans of the other country. During the match every single fan in the stadium is a patriot, as every single fan cheer the team up. What is so bad about that? these different nations are not at enmity. On the contrary! as far as I know there were fans from different nations who made a friendship before a match. That is not racist, isn't it?

In a competitive situation such as sport then maybe, but that patriotism makes one have a collective enemy without knowing any of them individually. Hooliganism shows that effect. I think I should have constructed the thread to tackle whether it is positive or negative on the whole to be patriotic. I think the original question is answered though - patriotism is not always racism (however I think it does encourage it :P )
Reply 8
no..is not:rolleyes:
Reply 9
I see patriotism as a clear way of segregating people, and influencing populations to be less tolerant towards others that don't live in the same country as them. It's geographical elitism.

Or maybe I just have a cynical view and should feel pride with regards to where I come from?

With globalisation being more prominent as time goes on, this issue arises very regularly and I judge people as racist when they say 'true England is being lost to all these immagrants' and comments of the sort. Is that an incorrect judgement?

There's a difference between patriotism and nationalism.
Reply 10
I agree with you, it can be very segregating, but it isn't necessarily racist-though it is often used by racists (i.e the BNP and EDL).
I'm not patriotic at all though.
No, it's nationalism.
Reply 12
Original post by simeon
There's a difference between patriotism and nationalism.

And a difference that is not quantifiable, it gives the same problem of being in a click but nationalism is just more noticeable than patriotism. Just because it's a less extreme version of nationalism, does it not incur social barriers?

Personally I feel I'm just born into this country. I don't see pride in where I come from, or a loyalty to fight for the country I am from. I don't dislike it by any stretch of the imagination, but I think harbouring feelings of pride in a location that you are born in seems nonsensical. I had no involvement with the history, or any current decisions. We are a global community (not just humans but all conscious beings), I just happened to be the brain of a human in England.
No, we should be proud of our roots, it's part of identity.
Reply 14

No. I can love Scotland for what it is, what it's given to the world and it's social and economic policies whilst also enjoying other cultures and welcoming people from those other cultures into my own.

Racism is racism, not patriotism.
A nationality isn't a race; how could it possibly be racism?

Patriotism is essentially "I love this piece of land because I was born here but I'd probably love that piece of land if I was born there instead".
Reply 16
Original post by jaydoh
No, we should be proud of our roots, it's part of identity.

Without being disrespectful, that touches on being egotistical.

Also there are plenty of bad decisions England have made that I am definitely not proud of, does being born here associate me with those too?
Reply 17
Original post by EastGuava
A nationality isn't a race; how could it possibly be racism?

Patriotism is essentially "I love this piece of land because I was born here but I'd probably love that piece of land if I was born there instead".

Humans have an evolutionary tendency to organize themselves into distinct groupings based on an affinity of birth. These groups evolve different physical features and are categorised as being different races, so nationality does have a direct correlation to race. When people see other cultures altering the British culture, racism kicks in because they feel they need to be loyal to their country, and it's heritage is under threat.

Having views that your place of birth, and its' history, is somehow something you feel you have the right to be proud of (even with zero input) to me seems illogical.
Reply 18
No. Patriotism = nationalism
Nationalist is a person who is too crazy about his/her country.

"Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind."

-Albert Einstein-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by skunkboy

"Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind."

Don't you see patriotism as infantile? Less extreme I know but the same concept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending