The Student Room Group

how to solve this?

Since I've given up on reading useless university notes, I still read them and found that they don't help.

Er, so yeah how the **** do you even begin with q2 and 3
Original post by MSI_10
Since I've given up on reading useless university notes, I still read them and found that they don't help.

Er, so yeah how the **** do you even begin with q2 and 3

Use the chain rule.

Rewrite 3 as f(x)=e(ln2)(tan1x)f(x)=e^{(\ln 2) (\tan \frac{1}{x})}
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
Use the chain rule.

Rewrite 3 as f(x)=e(ln2)(tan1x)f(x)=e^{(\ln 2) (\tan \frac{1}{x})}

I thought chain rule but then questioned what is u and what is v.

Is U= sin and v the rest of it
Reply 3
Original post by MSI_10
I thought chain rule but then questioned what is u and what is v.

Is U= sin and v the rest of it

Do you actually need to set things up in terms of u and v - that is how we teach it for very basic examples
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
Do you actually need to set things up in terms of u and v - that is how we teach it for very basic examples

Can only use what we've been taught. Haven't been given an explanation nor lecture in uni for using chain rule without u and v
Reply 5
Original post by MSI_10
Can only use what we've been taught. Haven't been given an explanation nor lecture in uni for using chain rule without u and v

Did you always use u and v at school
Even when the questions were simple
Even when there were more than 2 functions

You have 5 functions here so you will need more letters
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MSI_10

If that's all you know you might like to practise some easy examples until you get the hang of it.

If you want to get on with this question do it one step at a time.

Start by differentiating y=tan3xy=\tan^3 x

Then try y=cos2(tan3x)y=\cos^2 (\tan^3 x)

Then try y=sin(cos2(tan3x)y=\sin (\cos^2 (\tan^3 x)
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
If that's all you know you might like to practise some easy examples until you get the hang of it.

If you want to get on with this question do it one step at a time.

Start by differentiating y=tan3xy=\tan^3 x

Then try y=cos2(tan3x)y=\cos^2 (\tan^3 x)

Then try y=sin(cos2(tan3x)y=\sin (\cos^2 (\tan^3 x)

(Letting y=f(x){y} = f(x))

For the second one I just did arcsiny=cos2(tan3x)\arcsin y = \cos^2 (\tan^3 x), and I somehow managed to come up with an answer *which I hope is right* just by using implicit differentiation and differentiating with two variables in the chain rule, i.e. letting tan3x=u\tan^3 x = u, and arcsiny=cos2u\therefore \arcsin y = \cos^2 u.

Ended up getting:

dydx=3sin(2tan3x)cos(cos2(tan3x))tan2xsec2x\frac{dy}{dx} = -3\sin(2\tan^3 x)\cos(\cos^2 (\tan^3 x))\tan^2 x\sec^2 x

Similarly for the first and third questions I got:

1) dydx=2x2(1x3)43(1+x3)23\frac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{2x^2}{(1-x^3)^\frac{4}{3}(1+x^3)^\frac{2}{3}}

3)
Unparseable latex formula:

\frac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{-\ln2\sec^2(\frac{1}{x})\(2^\tan(\frac{1}{x})}{x^2}}

Just wanted to test myself since I'll probably encounter this stuff at uni next year, haha.

Are these right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CTArsenal

Spoiler

They are correct. However, I'd put them in a spoiler. Also, the answer to the third is slightly ambiguous. Is everything after ln\ln the argument of the natural logarithm? (I know it isn't, but parentheses get rid of such problems.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Think I got the first part right but the second part is probably wrong.
Reply 10
Okay realised I was using product rule instead like an idiot.

Is this fine for the first 2 parts
Reply 11
Original post by Khallil
They are correct. However, I'd put them in a spoiler. Also, the answer to the third is slightly ambiguous. Is everything after ln\ln the argument of the natural logarithm? (I know it isn't, but parentheses get rid of such problems.

Spoiler

ah okay, thanks very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest