The Student Room Group

Thinking of Quitting - Need Advice

Hi everyone

Basically, I'm a 24 year old mature student, and I'm in my first year of Medicine. Generally, the year has gone fairly well, the two grades I have received for assessed work so far have been a B2 and a B1, both of which were for coursework, and I also got an A for a mock exam which we did. I've had excellent feedback sessions from my tutors thus far.

However, throughout the Easter holidays I have really suffered from a crisis of motivation, as I've felt really fatigued and burnt out, and I really haven't studied enough for my final exam, which is at the end of May. I'm due to go back to uni tomorrow, and I'm just really struggling to find the motivation to do so. My mindset just now is that I just want to quit the degree, relax with the studying, and just move on with my life, as I have a good job that I am able to return to.

I don't know if what I'm experiencing is normal or not for medical students, or maybe for mature students, but I basically just feel like I've had enough.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can anyone provide any advice as to what I should do given my situation?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Burnout happens- for me it was in second year in association with some mental health issues, and to be honest my motivation has almost completely shattered in 4th year.

So early in your course I really don't think you should be thinking about quitting, especially seeing as you appear more than capable of passing your exams. The preclinical years can often be difficult from a motivation point of view because what you study seems to have so little bearing on the job that you're ostensibly learning how to do. It really does get more interesting, and that can help to motivate people. You need to ask yourself why you left your previous job to become a doctor? You must have known it would be hard, so what motivated you then?

Maybe this year you haven't been giving yourself enough time to do other things? Do you have many hobbies/things you do that are not related to your course? I don't think there is a single course in the country where year 1 is so intense that you don't have any time to do your own thing.

I have had enough of medicine. I find the majority of it to be exceptionally dull, I am done with being messed about by university/NHS admin bods, I have sacrificed activities and social groups that I care about because I just haven't got time and frankly the idea of being trapped on this treadmill until I die/retire is terrifying. But I'm not thinking about quitting because there is one glimmer. I think I've found my niche; there is specialty that I truly believe is my place in the world, and unless I can think of something that would make me happier than doing that job, I will carry on.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Burnout happens- for me it was in second year in association with some mental health issues, and to be honest my motivation has almost completely shattered in 4th year.

So early in your course I really don't think you should be thinking about quitting, especially seeing as you appear more than capable of passing your exams. The preclinical years can often be difficult from a motivation point of view because what you study seems to have so little bearing on the job that you're ostensibly learning how to do. It really does get more interesting, and that can help to motivate people. You need to ask yourself why you left your previous job to become a doctor? You must have known it would be hard, so what motivated you then?

Maybe this year you haven't been giving yourself enough time to do other things? Do you have many hobbies/things you do that are not related to your course? I don't think there is a single course in the country where year 1 is so intense that you don't have any time to do your own thing.

I have had enough of medicine. I find the majority of it to be exceptionally dull, I am done with being messed about by university/NHS admin bods, I have sacrificed activities and social groups that I care about because I just haven't got time and frankly the idea of being trapped on this treadmill until I die/retire is terrifying. But I'm not thinking about quitting because there is one glimmer. I think I've found my niche; there is specialty that I truly believe is my place in the world, and unless I can think of something that would make me happier than doing that job, I will carry on.

Hi mate

Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

One thing I would say is that I've gone hell for leather this year right from the start, and I think that this has resulted in me feeling really burned out. Right from the first week I was going into the library at the weekend (I'm based at home and commute into uni). I did this because I was worried about returning to education and failing miserably, however I now realise that this was an unnecessary level of dedication, tbh.

As such, I literally left myself no room at all for hobbies or interests, and simply devoted all of my time to work and coursework, hence the good(isn) grades.

The problem now is that I'm stuck in a rut, haven't properly revised for my final exam, and now I think I'm going to end up failing it, and I still have another block to do when I go back, which is really worrying.

I'm glad that you've found your niche, and that you have the motivation to keep going (y) Unfortunately atm I am severely lacking this same motivation.
Reply 3
You are working all the time yet you haven't revised enough for your exam? What mate.

Your are clearly overworking so Stop working. Get your life back. And get your exam paranoia under control.
Original post by Revenged
You are working all the time yet you haven't revised enough for your exam? What mate.

Your are clearly overworking so Stop working. Get your life back. And get your exam paranoia under control.

This 100%. You're working too hard. Work smart, not hard. Don't take it so seriously.
Reply 5
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Hi mate

Thanks very much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

One thing I would say is that I've gone hell for leather this year right from the start, and I think that this has resulted in me feeling really burned out. Right from the first week I was going into the library at the weekend (I'm based at home and commute into uni). I did this because I was worried about returning to education and failing miserably, however I now realise that this was an unnecessary level of dedication, tbh.

As such, I literally left myself no room at all for hobbies or interests, and simply devoted all of my time to work and coursework, hence the good(isn) grades.

The problem now is that I'm stuck in a rut, haven't properly revised for my final exam, and now I think I'm going to end up failing it, and I still have another block to do when I go back, which is really worrying.

I'm glad that you've found your niche, and that you have the motivation to keep going (y) Unfortunately atm I am severely lacking this same motivation.

Lack of motivation is perfectly normal, especially during a break after you've worked hard all year long. You have to realise that there is still 1 month to go before your exam. Even with lectures taking place during that month, you still have plenty of time to revise. Maybe you're not going to get to revise every single lecture and every single detail, but it should be more than enough to make sure you pass.

Just relax, an exam is just an exam. Plus, if you've been doing a lot of work during the year, you'll be surprised when you realise how much stuff you already know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I have experienced this every single year of my degree!! You are so close now, i'm sure you're plenty prepared for the exam with all the work you've been doing, you can't give up now! Sit the exam and then see how you feel afterwards. You have the summer break coming up and I think once you've got your results and proved to yourself you have what it takes then you'll maybe feel a little different!
Original post by beccy.
I have experienced this every single year of my degree!! You are so close now, i'm sure you're plenty prepared for the exam with all the work you've been doing, you can't give up now! Sit the exam and then see how you feel afterwards. You have the summer break coming up and I think once you've got your results and proved to yourself you have what it takes then you'll maybe feel a little different!

Original post by Wolfy^
Lack of motivation is perfectly normal, especially during a break after you've worked hard all year long. You have to realise that there is still 1 month to go before your exam. Even with lectures taking place during that month, you still have plenty of time to revise. Maybe you're not going to get to revise every single lecture and every single detail, but it should be more than enough to make sure you pass.

Just relax, an exam is just an exam. Plus, if you've been doing a lot of work during the year, you'll be surprised when you realise how much stuff you already know.

Original post by shiggydiggy
This 100%. You're working too hard. Work smart, not hard. Don't take it so seriously.

Original post by Fission_Mailed

Struggling here folks :frown:
Reply 8
Struggling here folks :frown:

I can't help noticing that you posted this very early in the morning. Have you been getting up at this time to work or have you been unable to sleep? If the former, you really need to go easier on yourself or you will get ill. This far out from your exams you really don't need to be flogging yourself into the ground.

Have a break. Take the weekend off - you will not fail because of having a few days to relax and get your head straight. Go and do something fun, with some non-medics, so you can't get wound up about how you "should" be working. Even if that involves staying on your sofa with a DVD boxset, that's fine.

Are there any academic welfare people at your uni who you can talk to? I'm sure you won't be the first with these feelings.
Reply 9
I second taking a break. I nearly drove myself nuts last year when I started my revision way too early, and felt similarly burnt out. Fortunately several months before this period of stress/burn out, I'd booked to go on holiday with some non-medic friends for a week. When the holiday approached I couldn't have regretted anything more because the idea of taking time away from revision was horrific...

When I got back it was like somebody had pressed the re-boot button!

Personally I could never work like you say you've worked. I have to go very intensely for the actual exam period and then chill for the rest of the year, or I'd basically just be destroyed. It sounds like you accidentally mis-timed this one, and also there's the added negative that pre-clinical medicine is just rote learning the motherload of all facts.

Anyway I would take a break and come back at it with a fresh mind. There's still time. You've done a lot of leg work all year (perhaps too much!) and so you're not entirely unprepared already. Ask yourself: do I really want to waste a whole year of effort and tuition fee money by not even passing this exam??
At the very least prove to yourself that you can pass and that if you did decide to drop out, you'd never have to tell people you'd actually failed the exams.
Also, why did you come back as a grad and try for medicine in the first place - surely you had your reasons? Pre-clinical medicine is an annoying stepping stone in the direction of an ultimate goal which is to qualify.

In my opinion you should never make big decisions about dropping out etc. when you're feeling at an academic low, or a low for any other reason. Do it when you're feeling on an even keel and can look at the whole situation objectively instead of from the bottom of the burn-out pit.

You've only got to put up with this until the end of May, then get your results and see how you feel then, with everything in perspective.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Try being mid 30s chieff!!! Just stick at it, dont think about it just do it. Once med school is out the way the whole scenario changes.
Original post by Helenia
I can't help noticing that you posted this very early in the morning. Have you been getting up at this time to work or have you been unable to sleep? If the former, you really need to go easier on yourself or you will get ill. This far out from your exams you really don't need to be flogging yourself into the ground.

Have a break. Take the weekend off - you will not fail because of having a few days to relax and get your head straight. Go and do something fun, with some non-medics, so you can't get wound up about how you "should" be working. Even if that involves staying on your sofa with a DVD boxset, that's fine.

Are there any academic welfare people at your uni who you can talk to? I'm sure you won't be the first with these feelings.

My sleeping pattern is absolutely all over the place, I feel constantly exhausted, and work is constantly on my mind. Every time I try to write a sentence out and read it back, it makes absolutely no sense, and I find it really hard to concentrate. The same thing just happen with this paragraph I'm typing, it took about 3 or 4 gos just to get it typed up properly.

I'm starting to feel properly ill just now, I felt like I was going to keel over when I was walking into uni yesterday, I considered not going in, but just persevered and I feel a bit worse for it. It's taking an almighty effort to get out of bed in the mornings just now tbh.

I looked into counselling and academic welfare at my uni, and there's a two week waiting list for it. I though about going to my GP, but I did work exp with her before starting medicine, and was a bit worried that she would realise I've made a complete mess of doing medicine :frown:
My sleeping pattern is absolutely all over the place, I feel constantly exhausted, and work is constantly on my mind. Every time I try to write a sentence out and read it back, it makes absolutely no sense, and I find it really hard to concentrate. The same thing just happen with this paragraph I'm typing, it took about 3 or 4 gos just to get it typed up properly.

I'm starting to feel properly ill just now, I felt like I was going to keel over when I was walking into uni yesterday, I considered not going in, but just persevered and I feel a bit worse for it. It's taking an almighty effort to get out of bed in the mornings just now tbh.

I looked into counselling and academic welfare at my uni, and there's a two week waiting list for it. I though about going to my GP, but I did work exp with her before starting medicine, and was a bit worried that she would realise I've made a complete mess of doing medicine :frown:

This doesn't constitute having "made a complete mess." Plenty of people struggle and mental health issues are not uncommon in med students/doctors. A good GP is not going to judge you for running into difficulties - they know how stressful the course is! There is no shame in asking for help, and universities are usually much more understanding of people who have recognised they have a problem than those who bury their heads in the sand. Get yourself on the waiting list for uni counselling. Do you have a personal tutor you can contact?

Nothing in life is worth making yourself seriously unwell. But if you are ill, there are options available that won't involve you having to quit medicine entirely.
You have around a month to prepare, that's enough time. Make sure you cover the core material first before doing any reading/notes on topics that weren't mentioned in your lectures. This will encompass around 70% of the exam, the rest is usually on things that they expect from your wider reading. Set yourself weekly targets of what topics you want to get done, but leave an evening or two free where you can do something you enjoy! Working continuously only leads to depression, and depression leads to inefficient revision.

You need to be aware that things will only get more difficult from first year. But most people find that it's just a shock to the system with the demanding workload medicine entails in their first year. You work ethic will improve as you progress through the course. However if you feel that it really isn't the course for you, because it's something that you're not enjoying doing or that you felt you made a mistake then that is a separate issue you should discuss with your tutors/university counselors. Don't force yourself doing something you're not enjoying because you'll feel worse leaving the course at a later stage. All the best :yy:
I don't even know how I got through first year - thinking about it, it was just a blur of lots and lots of irrelevant stuff you just had to rote learn to pass the exams. How on earth did we cope with multiple lectures EVERY single day for two years; that was major knowledge overload which I cannot imagine doing again, ever! The VAST majority of medical students prefer clinical medicine to pre-clinical medicine. Chances are that once things begin to fit into context with a patient in front of you, you may get more of a kick out of the course. Anyway, point it, it gets better in the clinical years (for most people). Much better. Things start making more sense. You figure out how you work. You get more motivated because you realise this is essentially the job you will be doing for a long time (if you decide to stay in medicine).

OK, I'm rambling.

Right, I think the important things to take from this are that:
1. You need breaks. Seriously. Like Iso said, don't overwork yourself.
2. After really good home-cooked food, sleep is literally THE best thing ever. You really should do it more often and for long enough. It'll do wonders for your productivity.
3. It will get better in the clinical years.
4. Don't have "failure" at the back of your mind; it's not very healthy. Of course, aim to pass, but don't get obsessed about failing. Remember, with medical school exams, the vast majority of people in each year will pass. You just need to aim to be in this group.
5. Work at your own pace. Medicine is NOT a race. Just pace yourself throughout the course. Everyone works differently. Do what works for you and you will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending