The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No one cares about thighs, only what's between them.
I talked about this on my IGCSE Speaking and Listening C/A 38/49...right. As a bodybuilder and actor I'm just going to say straight up...no.

We like thighs on our girls and there isn't a too much factor there because the amount of muscle on the thigh for a girl is limited by Myostatin. All in all, screw the thigh gaps, squats ftw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thigh gap is just something girls have imposed upon themselves. Guys couldn't care less.
if they're really thick then it gets a bit off-turning
Original post by Solivagant
The thigh gap is just something girls have imposed upon themselves. Guys couldn't care less.

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Seriously I don't understand this thigh gap thing at all! Maybe I'm getting old but what's the big deal? The girl is going to have to spread those legs anyway, what does it matter if she has a stupid gap? :colonhash:

Original post by Holby_fanatic

That sounds like something a slut with no gap would say :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't want a thigh gap at all, I think it looks weird when thighs don't touch. I do find curvier women more attractive in general though (the proper definition of curvy - not overweight), if people want thigh gaps then that's fine, I just don't personally find it attractive.
Reply 8
Its interesting, I think its some stupid social media spread hype like a lot of other things. Girls (including me) are often on the quest to become size 6's and believing theyre fat and things like this dont help us. Its good to hear that its not a big deal at all!
Original post by digbee
I am interested to find out the real opinion on girls with a thigh gap. Do you like this? I do not have one but I feel like I should and I would like one. My boyfriend tells me that he likes me as I am which is great for me but I am interested in the overall opinion. And females how do you feel about having one or not having one? Do you share the same view as me?

Thigh gaps are dependent on your bone structure, you need wide set hips and widely spaced femurs and an overall wider pelvic girdle. I have one and I and most of the women in my family have one and we are a wide range of weights and sizes. You shouldn't have one unless your hips are that way striving for one would see you very underweight because you'd have to lose so much weight off your thighs.

If your boyfriend likes you for how you are that's great but also don't feel the need to have one we're all different shapes and sizes. Some girls have thigh gaps some don't just like some girls have big boobs and some girls don't :smile:
Thigh gap is bull****, it's nothing to do with how thin you are. It's down to bone structure and muscle distribution. I've still got a little curve of gap between mine and I've got pretty developed quads so my thighs are quite big in comparison to my lower leg, it's just how they are. Guys don't like stick legs.
Reply 11
Please don't feel that you 'should' have something as ridiculous as a thigh gap. It's so disappointing to read. It is not a healthy trend.

From a random 'womenshealth' webpage -
...what you may not realize is that this body image isn’t something you can work toward with a healthy diet and exercise routine, very few women have a large gap between their thighs... Thigh gaps really only happen through genetics—but even if you have wide hips, your legs can still touch if you have a lot of muscle.”

Obsessions with transforming certain body parts aren't exactly a new phenomenon, but what’s scary about this trend is that women are going to dangerous lengths to get crazy-thin legs, says Claire Mysko, a spokesperson for the National Eating Disorders Association. “Most women cannot achieve this look without extreme dieting or sometimes a full-blown eating disorder,” she says.

Also, bear in mind that skinny doesn’t necessarily mean fit or healthy,” says Wright. Sticking to muscle-sculpting leg workouts to get toned thighs is a much healthier—and very sexy—option.
Reply 12
Original post by awe
Please don't feel that you 'should' have something as ridiculous as a thigh gap. It's so disappointing to read. It is not a healthy trend.

From a random 'womenshealth' webpage -
...what you may not realize is that this body image isn’t something you can work toward with a healthy diet and exercise routine, very few women have a large gap between their thighs... Thigh gaps really only happen through genetics—but even if you have wide hips, your legs can still touch if you have a lot of muscle.”

Obsessions with transforming certain body parts aren't exactly a new phenomenon, but what’s scary about this trend is that women are going to dangerous lengths to get crazy-thin legs, says Claire Mysko, a spokesperson for the National Eating Disorders Association. “Most women cannot achieve this look without extreme dieting or sometimes a full-blown eating disorder,” she says.

Also, bear in mind that skinny doesn’t necessarily mean fit or healthy,” says Wright. Sticking to muscle-sculpting leg workouts to get toned thighs is a much healthier—and very sexy—option.

Wow thats a very insightful article, to think that perhaps some women would go to the extreme to achieve this look. I thought it was something that would be achievable through exercise and diet but obviously this is not the case in many situations and can lead to extremely negative consequences, I have changed my opinion on them now to be honest!
I can't say I've noticed if any of the girls I have been with over the years even had a thigh gap. If a girl looks unhealthily thin (as lots of these thigh gap obsessive types do) then I'll find her unattractive but probably never notice that her thighs don't touch when she stands with her legs together.

Finding a thigh gap attractive because it's a thigh gap is about as absurd as favouring a girl with an ankle shaped like a Rubin vase.
To quote the elegant and lovely Robyn Lawley, the thigh gap is:

"just another tool of manipulation that other people are trying to use to keep me from loving my body".
Reply 15
Original post by Holby_fanatic

Speak for yourself, i like a big thigh on my birds. No point in having a KFC if there's hardly any meat on it...
I don't understand the thing about the thigh gap because it completely depends on your bone structure (I think, it seems that way anyways). Like on some people it looks great, it's natural. Where as on some it looks way too skinny and it looks unhealthy.

I don't necessarily want a thigh gap, but I do feel like I have flabby inner thighs which I'm working on.
The thigh gap has nothing to do with how fat your thighs are. It has to do with the size of your hips. It's impossible for most women to have one - because their hips are too narrow.
Original post by digbee
I am interested to find out the real opinion on girls with a thigh gap. Do you like this? I do not have one but I feel like I should and I would like one. My boyfriend tells me that he likes me as I am which is great for me but I am interested in the overall opinion. And females how do you feel about having one or not having one? Do you share the same view as me?

I personally prefer big, chunky thighs without a thigh gap.
Reply 19
Original post by Blackshadow
I personally prefer big, chunky thighs without a thigh gap.

Its great to hear that my actual thoughts are being completely unproven. Nobody yet on here has stated that they prefer a thigh gap! Definitely an unexpected opinion but yet a great one :colondollar: