The Student Room Group

Fussy Eaters.... Ugh explain

I am the type of girl who would eat ANYTHING put in front of me for a meal-
the only thing I have a slight distaste for are mushrooms due to texture but will gladly consume copious amounts in dishes.

I genuinely have enough food in my kitchen, fridge and freezer to feed an army.

I was brought up to eat what everyone else was having so if I was guest I wouldn't kick up about the food. You eat what's on your plate or you don't eat culture.

I have an American staying and it seems to be a 'have it your way' household where she is from. It is seriously stressful trying to placate her without spending a fortune on buying new food.

We are a healthy(ish) household and have all the fruits and vegetables you could dream of and they'd eat none of that.

1. Are you a fussy eater?
2. What do you eat?
3. Do you attribute your fussiness to a certain experiences?
4. Do you prepare the hosts when you go for dinner?
5. Do you think your taste buds are merely more defined than others?
6. Any other information?:colondollar:

I'm genuinely curious.

Scroll to see replies

I was brought up to eat anything, that doesn't mean I like everything but I'll still eat it. Fussy eaters piss me off. They need to grow up.
Reply 2
Are you a fussy eater?
No.

What do you eat?
Almost everything.

To be fair though was a very fussy eater when I was a child. My parents couldn't get me to eat often; the only things I enjoyed were fish fingers, eggs and soldiers and jellytots. Didn't even like chocolate :lol: But as I got older my taste buds radically changed and now I'm not a fussy eater at all. I literally eat, and enjoy almost everything so long as it is edible. Except for Bananas.
I've been told I am although I do eat foods that other people wouldn't? But I do gag if I eat a food if I don't like the flavour/texture e.g kiwis?!

2. What do you eat?
i like quite plain tasting foods e.g. Toast crackers with cream cheese etc. But I cook a lot! I love legumes etc. But some foods I don't like inc. fish, broccoli stalks, egg yolk (those are my more "fussy" dislikes)

i like to think I've gotten better in terms of fussiness but I think I'm mostly fussy about textures, I can't stand horrible textures and I like things to be cooked/prepared in a certain way

no because I generally find something in a meal that I will like or I just chew something a couple of times and then swallow so as not to be rude

not necessarily although I do get quite offended when people say I'm fussy because I don't like something that is quite common for people to dislike... (E.g. Egg yolks) although I do appreciate foods that I do like and am interested in them too

Hope this helps! I think I was much more fussy as a child and I do try to experience new foods and I've met people that are a lot fussier than me!
Original post by Sabertooth
I was brought up to eat anything, that doesn't mean I like everything but I'll still eat it. Fussy eaters piss me off. They need to grow up.

There are quite a lot of foods I don't like. If I think they taste horrible, I'm not going to eat them. It's nothing to do with growing up.
Reply 5
Oh my god, I was skim reading the thread title and thought it said pussy eaters! :laugh:

My mind has honestly been corrupted beyond control :getmecoat:
I just don't like some foods.. didn't realise there was anything wrong with that. Some people say I'm fussy, but on the whole, I think that I'm OK. I eat most things. I just don't really like cheese, steamed vegetables, mushrooms or onions - and people seem to put onions in everything.
Reply 7
I used to be an extremely fussy eater, but I have gotten better. I don't like fish/seafood, some fruit/ vegetables, tomatoes, mushrooms and cucumber, along with tasteless green leaves especially. I absolutely hate mayonnaise, I find it repulsive. I also hate pork, I'll eat beef but I'm not too keen on it. I also hate spicy food. Ok, that still sounds bad but i have generally gotten so much better.

Apparently I used to eat anything when I was a kid, but one weird thing is I've seemed to of gone off foods that my mum did from when she was pregnant with me and love foods she liked. I found it pretty interesting when she told me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on your definition of fussy. I'm fussy in the sense that there are certain things I dislike and/or won't eat for one reason or another - e.g. red meat, especially lamb due to a few bad experiences like trying a disgusting lamb burger after persuasion from my dad when I was younger; non-chewy biscuits, because if I wanted to eat a rock I would pick up one from the ground for free; most deep fried food, especially fritters, since they have a disgusting after taste, etc.
However, I don't really consider myself that fussy because I'm open to try different foods. The weirder and wonderfuller they sound or look, the more I probably want to try them... as long as one of my dislikes aren't a main component of the dish or food (if they're there in a small quantity or on the side, I'll probably try them).

2. What do you eat?
Whatever I can buy from a supermarket for £3.50 or under per meal because I'm too busy to cook 95% of the time. I tend not to buy the same thing twice though... In fact, I think the only thing I've ever eaten fairly regularly is the nutty salad thing from M&S.
If my mom makes something nice like stir fried broccoli, baby corn and chicken or a multi-vegetable vindaloo, then I'll probably eat it. If not, and I haven't bought myself any food, then I'll probably just grab a pot of greek yogurt and a lot of fruit or a couple of slices of bread, cherry tomatoes and those lovely laughing cow cheese triangles. XD
I have a really sweet tooth so I eat chocolate and frozen yogurt pretty often. I love having a school that's only a 10 minute walk away from a shopping centre with a Thornton's and Hotel Chocolat.

Not really.

Never, there's always something I'm happy to eat on the menu... unless it's McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, etc. in which case I'm saving up those £3 for a PS Vita.

Haha, no, probably because I'm not that fussy. If I had defined taste buds there would be no way I could eat stir fried chillis or white chocolate ganache without permanently damaging my tongue.
Original post by Solivagant
There are quite a lot of foods I don't like. If I think they taste horrible, I'm not going to eat them. It's nothing to do with growing up.

Obviously I don't expect people to buy foods they dislike. I was talking more of like going to someone's house, you should eat what you're given not all this "don't like it" crap - it's so childish.
Reply 10
Original post by Solivagant

There's a lot of things we don't like doing that we do do, I don't like going to work doesn't mean I don't. If you're round a relative / friends house do you refuse to eat their food? It's just common courtesy to eat what you're given.
I'm not a fussy eater and I will eat most things, especially if someone has gone to the effort to cook me a meal. The only things I refuse to eat are liver or tinned tuna, vom.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm vegetarian. That probably makes me fussy, although within the bounds of vegetarianism I'm actually pretty unfussy - I'll eat most anything you put in front of me, unless it used to be an animal.

There are foods I don't like, and if someone asks me, "do you like [such and such a food]", then I'll tell them I don't like it, but if you put one of those foods in front of me, I'd probably still eat it.
Reply 13
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
I am the type of girl who would eat ANYTHING put in front of me for a meal-
the only thing I have a slight distaste for are mushrooms due to texture but will gladly consume copious amounts in dishes.

I genuinely have enough food in my kitchen, fridge and freezer to feed an army.

I was brought up to eat what everyone else was having so if I was guest I wouldn't kick up about the food. You eat what's on your plate or you don't eat culture.

I have an American staying and it seems to be a 'have it your way' household where she is from. It is seriously stressful trying to placate her without spending a fortune on buying new food.

We are a healthy(ish) household and have all the fruits and vegetables you could dream of and they'd eat none of that.

I'm genuinely curious.

1. Are you a fussy eater? Yes.
2. What do you eat? Pasta, pizza, fast food, salad, most fruits, most vegetables, :love: berries. I think a more appropriate question would be 'what don't you eat?'
3. Do you attribute your fussiness to a certain experiences? Can't eat chicken without gagging/eyes watering ever since I saw my cousin almost die from choking on a bone in chicken.
4. Do you prepare the hosts when you go for dinner? As a kid people mostly came over to my house, so that wasn't a problem. As an adult, we're more likely to go out to a restaurant (whether we're invited or doing the inviting) so it's not so much of an issue. Friends will get soya milk and/or lactose-free products if I'm staying with them but otherwise :dontknow: I never really go to someone's house who I'm not friendly enough with for them to know about my diet, if that makes sense?
5. Do you think your taste buds are merely more defined than others? Not really.
6. Any other information?:colondollar:
I'm lactose intolerant, can't eat most meats (psychological), hate all salad dressings, hate mushrooms, can't have soggy bread, can only eat cheese when it's melted onto/in something. I do try new things though, so not as picky as I once was. :h:
I wouldn't call myself fussy, I'll eat most things but just happen to be allergic to some ingredients other people use quite frequently :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaeseia

I'm lactose intolerant, can't eat most meats (psychological), hate all salad dressings, hate mushrooms, can't have soggy bread, can only eat cheese when it's melted onto/in something. I do try new things though, so not as picky as I once was. :h:

Surely you can never eat cheese if you're lactose intolerant?
Original post by Sabertooth
Obviously I don't expect people to buy foods they dislike. I was talking more of like going to someone's house, you should eat what you're given not all this "don't like it" crap - it's so childish.

Original post by Tom78
There's a lot of things we don't like doing that we do do, I don't like going to work doesn't mean I don't. If you're round a relative / friends house do you refuse to eat their food? It's just common courtesy to eat what you're given.

Firstly, I don't think I've ever had tea at a friend's house. I've been round and been offered tea before but I've always just refused. They aren't going to be offended.
Not fussy. I dislike a few things (mushrooms, brussel sprouts, asparagus) but I'd eat any of them if given them by a host.
Reply 18
Original post by manchesterunited15
Surely you can never eat cheese if you're lactose intolerant?

Lactose-free cheese exists! :biggrin: I usually get most of my lactose-free products from Lactofree.

Also Lactaid make the best lactase pills which I do use from time to time when the craving for ice-cream is unbearable but it becomes really expensive so it's a treat. :smile:

Definitely a very fussy eater. I find it very difficult to eat anything with artificial flavours, colourings, chemicals, preservatives and that kind of thing. I used to be able to not eat microwaved food (even if it was something like reheating pasta) either.

2. What do you eat?

So I'm pretty much limited to vegetables :lol: But I honestly have begun trying to eat a lot more different foods and not look at ingredients lists.

I hated school dinners in primary - the custard was always lumpy and the food always lukewarm. I never enjoyed eating meat as a kid because my dad likes to his rare - so seeing blood on the plate grossed me out. A girl at my first secondary school constantly asked me everyday what I had for dinner the night before...

Not anymore. Whenever I go over to somebody's house, I tend to bring my own food with me :colondollar:

No... although I find I can tolerate spices a lot better than other people and I can eat a lemon or lime like an apple.

6. Any other information?

I'm a vegetarian and have an EDNOS. But I still classify myself as a fussy eater :colonhash:

Also, it's really interesting to see everyone's different eating habits and preferences :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest