The Student Room Group

Im pretty sure I've applied to the wrong degree for me

I applied back in October to do IT at university and now the deadline for accepting the offers is coming up I think I have picked the wrong degree for me. I chose IT as it's what my parents do and I'm good at it at school and I find it quite interesting. I have offers the 4 unis I applied to and they are quite good. I wanted to apply for musical theatre as a degree but no one encouraged me to and I had no confidence and I didn't want to fail at the only thing I really enjoyed. After getting a distiction in my grade 8 singing and people asking why I wasnt singing for a degree I feel more enourage to do it. What do I do if I now want to do this as a degree. Do I have to take a gap year and re-apply next year
Original post by lizzy h
I applied back in October to do IT at university and now the deadline for accepting the offers is coming up I think I have picked the wrong degree for me. I chose IT as it's what my parents do and I'm good at it at school and I find it quite interesting. I have offers the 4 unis I applied to and they are quite good. I wanted to apply for musical theatre as a degree but no one encouraged me to and I had no confidence and I didn't want to fail at the only thing I really enjoyed. After getting a distiction in my grade 8 singing and people asking why I wasnt singing for a degree I feel more enourage to do it. What do I do if I now want to do this as a degree. Do I have to take a gap year and re-apply next year

You could decline all your offers and go through Extra if you were really certain AND if there are any courses left, but it's getting pretty near to closing time now and my bet would be that there's not much left. I think you'd be better taking a gap year and making a careful, studied application instead of jumping at anywhere that will have you at this stage.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You could decline all your offers and go through Extra if you were really certain AND if there are any courses left, but it's getting pretty near to closing time now and my bet would be that there's not much left. I think you'd be better taking a gap year and making a careful, studied application instead of jumping at anywhere that will have you at this stage.

Thanks very much, I think at most costs I want to avoid a gap year as I'd probably have not a lot of useful or productive work or volunteering to do but I think I agree that that would be a better idea than chancing it with Extra...
Original post by lizzy h
Thanks very much, I think at most costs I want to avoid a gap year as I'd probably have not a lot of useful or productive work or volunteering to do but I think I agree that that would be a better idea than chancing it with Extra...

It's perfectly legitimate to spend a year out working and saving up. Universities understand this.
Reply 4
Agree very much with the suggestion of taking a gap year. Definitely don't continue with the degree if you are unhappy with it, and well done for realising this now! I wish I had the same foresight. :P There are great risks with going through clearing just because it's a bit late, you could end up in a great situation but it's more likely that you will find yourself 'settling'. A gap year can be a really good thing and may help you to hone your skills and ambitions, as well as get some experience for your CV in the mean time.

Quick Reply

Latest