The Student Room Group

Electrolysis of mgbr2

Hello, why is bromine gas liberated at the anode in the electrolysis of aqueous mgbr2?
Isn't it suppose to be oxygen?
Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Have you compared standard potentials?
Reply 2
Original post by Borek
Have you compared standard potentials?

I have.
O2+2h20+2e➡️4oh- +0.4

Br2 +2e⬅️2br- +1.07

I thought that the at the anode oxidation occurs thus the least oxidising will be liberated at the anode.
In this case, isn't it oxygen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Isn't this to do with reactivity ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Sweet Rose
I have.
O2+2h20+2e➡️4oh- +0.4

Br2 +2e⬅️2br- +1.07

OK. Now we come to the hard part.

I thought that the at the anode oxidation occurs thus the least oxidising will be liberated at the anode.
In this case, isn't it oxygen?

Standard potential assumes [OH-] = 1 M, in a typical solution that's not the case. MgBr2 solution is more or less neutral, so [OH-] = 10-7 M. That means we have to turn to formal potentials, calculated from the Nernst equation:

E=E0+RTnFlnpO2[OH]4E = E_0 + \frac {RT}{nF} ln \frac {p_{O_2}}{[OH^-]^4}

it gets ugly, doesn't it? But if you plug all numbers in, you will get something like

E=0.4+0.03log0.21(107)4=1.21VE = 0.4 + 0.03 log \frac {0.21}{(10^{-7})^4} = 1.21 V

Actually formal potential for the bromine is not 1.07V either, its exact value will depend on the concentration of the bromide and on the concentration of the free bromine.

There is also another factor that gets into the way. Electrode reactions involving production of oxygen are pretty slow. That means to observe production of substantial amounts of oxygen we need to speed them up by applying additional potential. That means other reactions - despite occurring at nominally lower potentials - will be fast enough to be observed first.
Reply 5
Original post by Borek
OK. Now we come to the hard part.

Standard potential assumes [OH-] = 1 M, in a typical solution that's not the case. MgBr2 solution is more or less neutral, so [OH-] = 10-7 M. That means we have to turn to formal potentials, calculated from the Nernst equation:

E=E0+RTnFlnpO2[OH]4E = E_0 + \frac {RT}{nF} ln \frac {p_{O_2}}{[OH^-]^4}

it gets ugly, doesn't it? But if you plug all numbers in, you will get something like

E=0.4+0.03log0.21(107)4=1.21VE = 0.4 + 0.03 log \frac {0.21}{(10^{-7})^4} = 1.21 V

Actually formal potential for the bromine is not 1.07V either, its exact value will depend on the concentration of the bromide and on the concentration of the free bromine.

There is also another factor that gets into the way. Electrode reactions involving production of oxygen are pretty slow. That means to observe production of substantial amounts of oxygen we need to speed them up by applying additional potential. That means other reactions - despite occurring at nominally lower potentials - will be fast enough to be observed first.

Thank you very much for helping me out. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest