The Student Room Group

failing the IB

Does anybody know of people who have failed the IB and yet still progressed on to uni?

-I had a friend who knew this guy who had failed the IB but his dad managed to persuade the admissions of a foundation year to accept him and he did really well after that
Original post by Lilihavo
Does anybody know of people who have failed the IB and yet still progressed on to uni?

-I had a friend who knew this guy who had failed the IB but his dad managed to persuade the admissions of a foundation year to accept him and he did really well after that

Hello! I know someone who did really poorly in the IB, but then took a year to resit and made it to Warwick!
Original post by Lilihavo

At my school only one person has ever failed and they didn't go on to uni. It's really quite difficult to fail though. Sure, it's difficult to get a 40 but with a one night cramming session before each exam you can definitely pass. You have to be fairly thick not to.
Reply 3
I assume by fail you mean not get the diploma status but still have 24 points or higher?

Quite a few students at my college have experienced this (including my brother who re sat a year and still didn't get diploma status), and they have progressed onto university. If you achieved your required grade for your most relatable higher level subject you are much more likely to be considered without the full diploma.

Original post by Albino_muffin
Sure, it's difficult to get a 40 but with a one night cramming session before each exam you can definitely pass. You have to be fairly thick not to.

In response to this; have you read the small print criteria in regards to the IB diploma? You could have 7's in every subject and still not "pass" to the full diploma. Slip up on TOK, EE, get lower than a 3 in maths and English, not equate enough points from higher/standard etc and the diploma slips through your fingers.
Original post by helerrrn

In response to this; have you read the small print criteria in regards to the IB diploma? You could have 7's in every subject and still not "pass" to the full diploma. Slip up on TOK, EE, get lower than a 3 in maths and English, not equate enough points from higher/standard etc and the diploma slips through your fingers.

But again, failing TOK or EE is extremely difficult unless you plagiarize your entire essay (getting above a D is child's play), and then to pass each subject you need 30 odd percent. In all fairness if someone's getting below 30% in any subject they probably shouldn't be taking the IB.
Reply 5
Original post by Albino_muffin
But again, failing TOK or EE is extremely difficult unless you plagiarize your entire essay (getting above a D is child's play), and then to pass each subject you need 30 odd percent. In all fairness if someone's getting below 30% in any subject they probably shouldn't be taking the IB.

Hmm, I go to a state school thats non grammar so they take on students who personally I think are below the GCSE grades required to do the IB (D's in English and Maths). So its alot more common to not pass in my college. I for one, am absolutely crap at Maths and scraped a C in GCSE. My teachers havent been the most guiding these past two years so if im a few marks off a level 3 (currently my last test was level 2) then yeah I will fail. Everyone has a downfall.
33 percent of my class did not diploma and they all went to university
A third of your class failed to get the diploma????? omg thats pretty awful, they need to look again at whats going so badly wrong there. Our school has been doing IB for 13 years and only one person has failed to get the diploma, she was very dyslexic and did not submit an EE, but she still went to university and did well in her chosen field.
Original post by Loser.1996
33 percent of my class did not diploma and they all went to university

that's a very encouraging statistic :colondollar:
well, beside the fact that all 33% of them didn't get the diploma
but who cares, they're at uni

Quick Reply

Latest