The Student Room Group

Why do people get obsessed with doctor who?

I don't get why people get obsessed with doctor who...

I like the show but I am not a "whovian" those people seem strange to me, they keep quoting the show and they live by the show and all they talk about is the show.

Why do they get obsessed over fiction?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why does anyone like Doctor Who? It's terrible.
Reply 2
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I don't get why people get obsessed with doctor who...

I like the show but I am not a "whovian" those people seem strange to me, they keep quoting the show and they live by the show and all they talk about is the show.

Why do they get obsessed over fiction?

Read This

It puts it better than I ever could, it's just....amazing.
It's a long running show with a lot of history that people have grown up with. It's just an entertaining escapism :smile:
Reply 4
Why are people obsessed about football?
Why are people obsessed about cars?

Why are people fans of <insert anything people can be fans of>?

Because they enjoy it. Beyond that, who cares? Why does it matter if someone likes something you don't?
logs.omegle.com/b8de8dd

There's an example of a whovain I spoke to...
Most of the David Tennant episodes were just great bits of TV. Everyone before and *cough* after, weren't worth watching.
For the exact same reason as to why people get obsessed with the likes of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. It is also appealing to much broader audiences (otherwise how could you explain Peter Capaldi getting cast? After all he is a well respected, rounded actor with some serious acting chops and more than 30 years of experience on the business), added to the fact that it is becoming a huge hit worldwide, something from which other BBC productions such as Sherlock has benefited from. It is easy to enjoy and unlike many TV shows it actually makes you think.
Reply 8
I have no idea.

It sends me to sleep.
They always ask me who my favorite doctor/companion/monster is... I don't care about that stuff. They also quote the show a lot, I really dislike it when people say to me "Hello Sweetie" they're not my girlfriend, they also tell me not to blink, and say "Are you my mummy?" Don't get me started on the role-players...
They grew up with the crap and so like it.

Not sure why Americans are getting into it these days though. It's no Sherlock.
It's about escape. The Doctor takes people with dull lives and no prospects, and makes them into something, whilst being moderately charming clever and funny, and people identify with that - it appeals to people's inner child, and once they taste that they become loyal to the show, no matter how bad it gets.
They always ask me who my favorite doctor/companion/monster is... I don't care about that stuff. They also quote the show a lot, I really dislike it when people say to me "Hello Sweetie" they're not my girlfriend, they also tell me not to blink, and say "Are you my mummy?" Don't get me started on the role-players...

Hahahahahahahaha.

You're adorable. Either way, I do love Doctor Who but I love a lot of other programmes and films and books as well. It's just escapism. He's a man who runs around the universe in a time-travelling police box, it's glorious. It's becoming increasingly bad though, I stick with it out of loyalty.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
It's ****ing ****.
Original post by Octohedral
It's about escape. The Doctor takes people with dull lives and no prospects, and makes them into something, whilst being moderately charming clever and funny, and people identify with that - it appeals to people's inner child, and once they taste that they become loyal to the show, no matter how bad it gets.

Why would someone want to escape their life?
I've never understood it either. My friends and little brother idolise the show and never stop talking about it, but the few times I've tried to sit down and watch it I found the whole thing rather cheesy and the "special effects" more amusing than anything.

And apparently Moffat is a bit of an eejit.
I know it's ****ing ****.
Why would someone want to escape their life?

Same reason people go travelling (or want to).
BECAUSE IT IS BRILLIANT
tumblr_inline_mrr30fW90e1qz4rgp.jpg

Guaranteed some episodes are better than others but overall

IT IS FANTASTIC

What more can I say?

tumblr_inline_mrse8fJGmm1qz4rgp.gif
Original post by Octohedral
Same reason people go travelling (or want to).

People travel to experience new cultures and to learn.

People want to escape their lives becuase they find it boring or they can't deal with their problems.

Quick Reply

Latest