The Student Room Group

Am I doing the right A levels to get onto a history/modern language course?

When i chose my a levels i was unsure of what i wanted to study at University but i recently found a course that i am really interested in and would like to study. I am unsure however of whether i have chosen the right subjects in order to do this course. I study History, english lit, biology and chemistry at as level and I intend to drop biology at the end of the year. The course I have seen is History combined with a modern language that allows you to study abroad for 1 year of the course. I have always loved history, I enjoyed languages at GCSE and i really want to travel. The course I originally saw was at Oxford and said an a level in the language chosen was not required for some languages such as Italian and Greek which are the ones I would like to study (I have not decided which one yet). Obviously Oxford would be very difficult to get in to so I have checked and this course is available at other universities. Would i be able to get into this course however without a language? I studied Spanish at GCSE and enjoyed it very much, getting full UMS in the whole of the course. The only reason I didn't take it at a level was because I would be more interested in learning a different language such as Italian, but this was not available at my college. I was thinking of maybe picking up Spanish next year at AS level, but I don't know if that would make a difference if it is not the language I want to study. Any advice/ suggestions? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Alexandra97
When i chose my a levels i was unsure of what i wanted to study at University but i recently found a course that i am really interested in and would like to study. I am unsure however of whether i have chosen the right subjects in order to do this course. I study History, english lit, biology and chemistry at as level and I intend to drop biology at the end of the year. The course I have seen is History combined with a modern language that allows you to study abroad for 1 year of the course. I have always loved history, I enjoyed languages at GCSE and i really want to travel. The course I originally saw was at Oxford and said an a level in the language chosen was not required for some languages such as Italian and Greek which are the ones I would like to study (I have not decided which one yet). Obviously Oxford would be very difficult to get in to so I have checked and this course is available at other universities. Would i be able to get into this course however without a language? I studied Spanish at GCSE and enjoyed it very much, getting full UMS in the whole of the course. The only reason I didn't take it at a level was because I would be more interested in learning a different language such as Italian, but this was not available at my college. I was thinking of maybe picking up Spanish next year at AS level, but I don't know if that would make a difference if it is not the language I want to study. Any advice/ suggestions? Thanks

You should email the university and ask, they love talking to people who take the initiative to email the University themselves (rather than those who get their parents to do it) trust me, my dad works in the English department there..they'll be happy to help i'm sure!

Quick Reply

Latest