The Student Room Group

Just noticed how much engineers get paid :|

I was under the impression that engineers were well paid, and I am quite intrigued by what we can do with applied science (most jobs are incredibly challenging! unlike *cough cough* HR and Marketing *cough cough*.

Googling around this morning, I have realised that people in Marketing and HR get paid more than engineers! And don't get me started on finance..

Not to mention, Engineers are very undervalued, under-appreciated, and under-rated in the UK (I'd like to travel around and live in several countries throughout my life too!)

Does anyone else feel this way?

Should I reconsider my career?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Ah engineers, the Oompah-Loompahs of science." - Sheldon Cooper
Reply 2
Original post by Jebedee
"Ah engineers, the Oompah-Loompahs of science." - Sheldon Cooper

Electronic Engineering is closer to science than Engineering imo.
If money is your main preoccupation then go into finance or go abroad.

People are paid according to supply and demand, and apparently marketing and HR roles are more important to some companies then engineers. Suck it up, it irritates me how far up their own backsides engineers tend to be.
Top engineers are very well paid. Top HR people are very well paid. Engineers slightly moreso.

Ordinary ranks of both professions are paid ordinary salaries. I'd still say that university-qualified engineers would have higher earning potential than either HR or marketing, but the data for engineers also contains lots of lower-level engineering jobs. How under-valued they are is a matter of opinion of course. I think McDonalds staff are under-valued. TSR over-rates engineers on the whole, which perhaps causes some people to develop unrealistic career expectations.

There aren't any magic pill careers to guarantee you'll earn a fortune. But engineering is amongst the better options as far as I can see, particularly if you enjoy it and feel you can do well at it. If you're ordinary, you'll probably end up earning ordinary money regardless of what you choose to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tengentoppa
If money is your main preoccupation then go into finance or go abroad.

People are paid according to supply and demand, and apparently marketing and HR roles are more important to some companies then engineers. Suck it up, it irritates me how far up their own backsides engineers tend to be.

Why is everyone on TSR so rude?
Reply 6
Original post by russellsteapot
Top engineers are very well paid. Top HR people are very well paid. Engineers slightly moreso.

Ordinary ranks of both professions are paid ordinary salaries. I'd still say that university-qualified engineers would have higher earning potential than either HR or marketing, but the data for engineers also contains lots of lower-level engineering jobs. How under-valued they are is a matter of opinion of course. I think McDonalds staff are under-valued. TSR over-rates engineers on the whole, which perhaps causes some people to develop unrealistic career expectations.

There aren't any magic pill careers to guarantee you'll earn a fortune. But engineering is amongst the better options as far as I can see, particularly if you enjoy it and feel you can do well at it. If you're ordinary, you'll probably end up earning ordinary money regardless of what you choose to do.

I like your profile picture.
Original post by hexagonalRod
Why is everyone on TSR so rude?

Well if you make a thread asking whether you should reconsider your career choice because another career option is paid more, then you should expect rude responses.
Reply 8
Almost everyone is underpaid as a result of the last ten to twenty years.
You're the rude one. Stop this sense of entitlement.
Original post by chelseafan
You're the rude one. Stop this sense of entitlement.

I apologise
Original post by arson_fire
Average wage for a Chartered Engineer is £63,000. 10% make over £100k.

Is this where you got your stats from? :
http://www.imeche.org/news/engineering/chartered-engineers-earn-an-average-of-63-000-a-year-survey-finds
Original post by james1211
Almost everyone is underpaid as a result of the last ten to twenty years.

Not everyone!
Reply 13
Original post by hexagonalRod
Not everyone!

Hence the word "almost".
Original post by arson_fire
From the salary survey, and personal experience.

Are you an engineer? :smile:

I think this gives a better overview: http://www.imeche.org/news/engineering/chartered-engineers-earn-an-average-of-63-000-a-year-survey-finds
Reply 15
But seriously, who gives a **** about money? As long as you are earning enough to be comfortable, job satisfaction is 100 x more important in terms of achieving a level of lifelong happiness.

We could all go and be investment bankers and earn £1m a year, but some of us don't fancy the idea of sucking off satan every evening before bed.
Original post by cole-slaw
But seriously, who gives a **** about money? As long as you are earning enough to be comfortable, job satisfaction is 100 x more important in terms of achieving a level of lifelong happiness.

We could all go and be investment bankers and earn £1m a year, but some of us don't fancy the idea of sucking off satan every evening before bed.

True say, just wanted to see what engineers thought of this on TSR tbh.
Reply 17
I agree, Civil Engineer here. if you want a higher salary, do engineering that has more demand. Engineering is definitely under-rated, we have too many artists drawing scribbly lines and not enough engineers capable of practically transforming our world.

Cut all the irrelevant politics degree courses, and replace them with degrees that teach leadership coupled with science/engineering.
Original post by hihoho
I agree, Civil Engineer here. if you want a higher salary, do engineering that has more demand. Engineering is definitely under-rated, we have too many artists drawing scribbly lines and not enough engineers capable of practically transforming our world.

Cut all the irrelevant politics degree courses, and replace them with degrees that teach leadership coupled with science/engineering.

What engineering would that be then? Electrical? Oil? Chemical?

I got into Electronic Engineering at Southampton.. That's what interests me, really. Along with CS.
Reply 19
Original post by james1211
Hence the word "almost".

Astounding how much the word "almost" allows you to make the most ludicrous statements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending