The Student Room Group

Mature student starting uni September

Hi
Im 35 and starting uni in September. Although I'm really excited and can't wait to get started I'm really worried about the age gap. Really don't want to be the oldest!!

Reply 1
I was 44 when I started my undergrad degree, so you might not be the oldest by a long way! I'll admit that it took my younger colleagues the first year to get used to me, but after that we got along really well. Obviously I didn't go clubbing with them, but I came in handy during a pub quiz, or when they needed a reference for an essay they'd left to the last minute :smile:
Reply 2
That's brilliant. Maybe good news for me then! Did an access course last year and worried the same after I saw everyone at induction days but then found out that there were many older than me. I don't suppose it matters really, I'm not in it for the social side!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 38 and just finishing my access course ready to start Uni in sept. I'm not the oldest on this course but expect to be in Uni as I've been told they don't generally have many mature students. However about 90% of the people on my access course are going to the same Uni as me so at least there will be plenty of friendly faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What the you studying? I did an access course and I wasn't the oldest on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There will be people of all ages at Uni - yes most of then will be 18, but once they get to Uni they stop being obsessed about 'age' and you just become 'Emsy'. Don't worry about it - no-one else will.
Reply 6
Hey I am 28 and will be starting uni in September, I know how you feel. I too am worried about not only age gap but also lifestyle gap between me and the younger students. I am married with two kids and my own house, this obviously puts me in a different place from a lot of younger students. On saying that I feel had I been at uni when I was their age I wouldn't have the determination and focus that I do now so I am focusing on that.

As previously said I don't see me going clubbing or anything with them but I do need to learn to keep my "mummy" side in check. No feeding hungry young students, no telling them to clean student flats and not taking their washing home is going to be difficult for me because that's just what I do and what I am used to doing.

I was chatting to another student who will be starting at the same uni as me and i said to save the stressful commute on exam days I will prob stay in the uni hotel the night before exams, he suggested crashing on someone's halls of residence floors instead of spending money in a hotel lol it freaked me out because it highlighted how much I am used to my own comforts.

We will be fine, be yourself and do what you are comfortable with, that is my plan. We are so lucky to have the opportunity at this stage in our lives as many others don't get it :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh I completely agree, with all points. I hated school when I was there and married very young so I'm pleased I have now got the opportunity to go to uni, although I've worked very hard to get to this point!
Still, it's a nervous time and I know I shouldn't be worrying about age, I don't mind the younger ones, I knew there would be many straight from school but I'd still rather someone be older than me! Haha.
I hate being 35 anyway, don't really see myself as 35 but there's that niggling feeling that I'll be so much more mature than the younger ones!! Hard to explain what I mean. I've had a few people comment, what at your age, when I've told them is applied for uni, although it made me feel a bit sad to hear it it hasn't stopped me.
Time will tell, I know that age doesn't matter, I will get what I want from the course/uni and everyone else will too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My mum didn't go back to uni until after she had my brother and I so she was prob 30s when she went back, she is now a research scientist at a uni and also teaches PhD students, she is an inspiration to me and evidence that it doesn't matter when you do it, you have as much to give as someone doing it much younger :-)
Original post by EmsyLatham
What the you studying? I did an access course and I wasn't the oldest on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on an access science course now and fingers crossed I'll be starting an Environmental Science degree at Bangor Uni in sept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xmhairix
Hey I am 28 and will be starting uni in September, I know how you feel. I too am worried about not only age gap but also lifestyle gap between me and the younger students. I am married with two kids and my own house, this obviously puts me in a different place from a lot of younger students. On saying that I feel had I been at uni when I was their age I wouldn't have the determination and focus that I do now so I am focusing on that.

As previously said I don't see me going clubbing or anything with them but I do need to learn to keep my "mummy" side in check. No feeding hungry young students, no telling them to clean student flats and not taking their washing home is going to be difficult for me because that's just what I do and what I am used to doing.

I was chatting to another student who will be starting at the same uni as me and i said to save the stressful commute on exam days I will prob stay in the uni hotel the night before exams, he suggested crashing on someone's halls of residence floors instead of spending money in a hotel lol it freaked me out because it highlighted how much I am used to my own comforts.

We will be fine, be yourself and do what you are comfortable with, that is my plan. We are so lucky to have the opportunity at this stage in our lives as many others don't get it :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't agree more and I know exactly what you mean about having to keep mothering tendencies in check. I have four children, all teenagers. My eldest is about to take a gap year herself and my son will also be going to Uni in 2015 so it's really easy to slip into that kind of role. I'm really conscious of not doing that in Uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I bet lots of imaginary cash that you wont be the oldest, not by a long shot. I am of a similar age and all I can say is not to lose sight of why you are there to start with.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I know how you feel (at least I think I do) I start uni in Sept and although I am not going for the social side (though I want to be sociable) and I'm not going to be clubbng and pubbing it (not something I've ever really been into) I don't want to feel out of place. Although having said that when I went on the open day I felt like I belonged there and although I worry everyone else will be more knowledgeable than me as they will be fresh from school I have to remind myself (even this many months before starting) I got my place on merit I obviously had something the uni liked when I was interviewed. I will be a new 34 when I start btw.
Reply 13
That's exactly how I feel actually.
Well good luck everyone. I hope it all goes well for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Venn
I worry everyone else will be more knowledgeable than me as they will be fresh from school

Actually, you'll find you really have the drop on them in many respects. For most, it will be the first time they've lived away from home and had to fend for themselves. Many won't yet know the basics like how to do laundry, cook a meal or how to make a limited amount of money last for months. They won't know how to do a food shop that doesn't break the bank. Some might have relied on parents to haul them out of bed for school - that's not going to happen anymore (although I did study with undergrads whose parents gave them alarm calls every morning they had a 9am lecture!).

So the younger cohort might be more geared up for learning, but getting the hang of the "real life" bits of their uni experience is going to be pretty scary for many of them. And you'll find the uni-level learning is very different to A Level learning these days. In reality, many of the youngsters struggle to get the hang of it, where Access entrants have had a much more uni-type experience before.

Honestly, I think it's pretty much of a level playing field for the younger and older students. Each of them will have new things to get the hang of. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Klix88
Actually, you'll find you really have the drop on them in many respects. For most, it will be the first time they've lived away from home and had to fend for themselves. Many won't yet know the basics like how to do laundry, cook a meal or how to make a limited amount of money last for months. They won't know how to do a food shop that doesn't break the bank. Some might have relied on parents to haul them out of bed for school - that's not going to happen anymore (although I did study with undergrads whose parents gave them alarm calls every morning they had a 9am lecture!).

So the younger cohort might be more geared up for learning, but getting the hang of the "real life" bits of their uni experience is going to be pretty scary for many of them. And you'll find the uni-level learning is very different to A Level learning these days. In reality, many of the youngsters struggle to get the hang of it, where Access entrants have had a much more uni-type experience before.

Honestly, I think it's pretty much of a level playing field for the younger and older students. Each of them will have new things to get the hang of. You'll be fine :smile:

Thanks. My situation is slightly different in that I haven't been to college or done an access course to get into uni and I don't work in the same field as my course. I was interviewed and I took my portfolio with me with all the things I have made and drawn in my own time and got a place. I think that's why I am anxious what if everyone else is far better than me / knows more than me. But yeah perhaps you're right the younger ones will have more to contend with.

I'm still excited though despite my anxieties.
Reply 16
You'll be fine.

I'm friendly with a few 30+'s who are doing all sorts from undergrads to PhD's. Most of the time I forgot they're older than me.

If anything, the more mature students the better, 18-20 year old's at University tend to be immature, annoying and so concerned with showing off to their friends back at home over facebook that they're leading the best of lives that I want to blow my face off.

Good on you.

Quick Reply

Latest