The Student Room Group

What do you think?

Hey, um... just want to hear people's honest opinion on this essay. Don't worry it isn't for a CA or anything like that, I'm just struggling to write essays for some reason like a writer's block or something. Every essay I wrote since two weeks ago were all horrible, I'm really panicking right now since I have several exams in a few weeks. 😢

I asked a few people if it was okay to post this and they said maybe so sorry if this isn't allowed. Anyway, here it is:

Topic:h:ow does the change in the animal description reflect the change in Curley's character?

In 'Of Mice and Men', John Steinbeck used animal imagery to describe the change in status between Curley and Lennie by describing Curley as an animal. In the beginning, Curley was described as a "terrier", a small but fearless dog, this was referring to the fact that while Lennie was a giant in comparison to Curley's small stature, Curley wasn't afraid of fighting him, even instigating the fight by punching Lennie in the face repeatedly. The word also reminds us that while Curley seemed weak compared to Lennie, he is still a force to be reckoned with due the fact that he practiced boxing and was the son of the ranch's boss, making him more dominant in status in comparison to Lennie, who was only a worker, a new one at that.

As the fight progresses, the description changed to a "rat" and we're reminded that while Curley had higher status in the farm, it was only because he was hiding behind the names and titles that were given to him. Even his status as a former boxer had no worth due to the fact that Lennie could easily fight back but this doesn't happen due to his status as the son of the ranch's boss but then George told Lennie to fight back, significantly changing the fight.

George's words caused Lennie to fight back and due to his strength, Lennie easily dominated the fight. In the end, Curley was describe as a "fish". By using this word, Steinbeck made us think of how cunning and slyness is no use to true brute strength. Here, Curley's status changed and he became the prey, the weak, defenceless creature.

The changes in description also reflected a change in Curley's character because it shows the changes in his status, at the start of the fight, he was this small but fearless "terrier" who fights whomever he want, this reflected Curley's beliefs that Lennie was this weak, pathetic man who he can easily beat up. As the fight progresses, he became a "rat" and we were reminded that Curley only picked a fight with those he perceived as weak to show his dominance to the ranch. But at the end, he was described as a "fish", "flopping" and struggling in the presence of the real hunter, as the realisation that he was wrong to pick a fight with Lennie.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Too much narrative (re-telling the story) my friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending