The Student Room Group

I spend at least a quarter and often over half of every day pissing about on TSR

please help. What is this a sign of?
I really need to cut down usage. I'm a chronic procrastinator. Since I joined in 2011 The Student Room has become on of my main hobbies :s-smilie:
If it helps as a kid I used to love video games, Rnescape, eventually MSN, MySpace and Facebook, while generally disliking/being uncomfortable being around other people. This problem was more or less a way of life by the time I was 16. I do still go out and see friends every now and then but a significant portion of my day is spent navel-gazing on a computer. If it's not TSR it's another site-currently relationship forums or fitness things.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's a sign of insanity.

Don't worry, I'm insane too.
cool story

you're just like any other person here
Original post by Riku

The twenty-first century.
We all know that feel tho
Reply 5
Maybe there should be a TSR cap. P: So you can only post 30 posts in a week, or something. If you try and do any more than that you get banned for a week. It's not just about looking at what everyone is saying, part of the addiction is about needing to add your own opinion to it. It's all narcissistic, even if it's within a helpful post.

But really, you just have to learn to self-regulate. Unfortunately if you can't yet control how much you go online, despite wanting to cut down, it doesn't really say great things about future work ethics, imo. I suffer from it too, but at the end of the day I know that I could drop TSR easily, I've taken breaks and almost forgotten about it, even. It's just the comfort of it all that is easy to cling to.

If you can't self-regulate, consider asking for a ban for a couple of weeks to 'TSR-detox' yourself?
Reply 6
Original post by Moosferatu
The twenty-first century.

****ing hell that's sad
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
cool story

you're just like any other person here

I don't think I am, otherwise H=R wouldn't hate me for posting like 100 threads in the space of 3 months about the same things :/
Original post by Riku
I don't think I am, otherwise H=R wouldn't hate me for posting like 100 threads in the space of 3 months about the same things :/

I was about to bring that up.

You recognise that you post the same (admittedly) rubbish.

And you don't take our advice, and you wonder why we get annoyed?
Reply 9
Original post by tehforum
I was about to bring that up.

You recognise that you post the same (admittedly) rubbish.

And you don't take our advice, and you wonder why we get annoyed?

I'm going to take your advice. I'm off to teh gym
Original post by Riku
****ing hell that's sad

As a child growing up in the nineties I was one of the few who managed to get themselves hooked on videogames and spent half the years shunning reality. As an adolescent I gradually grew out of this, and while videogames are still a great hobby, I wanted more from life. At this stage I noticed how many around me were glued to the screens, mainlining Facebook into their system, and realised that I wasn't so different after all.
Story of my life sadly.. I should be doing a past paper at the moment. Brb
Original post by Riku
I really need to cut down usage. I'm a chronic procrastinator. Since I joined in 2011 The Student Room has become on of my main hobbies :s-smilie:
If it helps as a kid I used to love video games, Rnescape, eventually MSN, MySpace and Facebook, while generally disliking/being uncomfortable being around other people. This problem was more or less a way of life by the time I was 16. I do still go out and see friends every now and then but a significant portion of my day is spent navel-gazing on a computer. If it's not TSR it's another site-currently relationship forums or fitness things.

Need some motivation:

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

I used to feel like you.I was just sitting in my bedroom the whole day just having read a page or two of a history text book due to my lack of concentration and certain disturbances and distractions but when i motivated myself to do better i did. The good thing is that you still have time so its a good idea to start from now. Dont think about what you have not done but think about what you are going to achieve and do bearing in mind that time is our enemy. I think you should look at this thread: For all those who think they have left revision to late. This thread was in the A level forum but
can still be handy as you have exams. It also provides info to effective revision etc.
Good luck in your exams and have faith in yourself that you can do it
Get Leechblock, Riku. Or whatever the IE/Chrome/Opera alternative is. It's really not hard, and no, I'm not going to reassure you and say oh yeah we all do it, we're just like you.
So do I :h:
Get ColdTurkey and ban yourself from here. Get out while you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by German123
Need some motivation:

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

I used to feel like you.I was just sitting in my bedroom the whole day just having read a page or two of a history text book due to my lack of concentration and certain disturbances and distractions but when i motivated myself to do better i did. The good thing is that you still have time so its a good idea to start from now. Dont think about what you have not done but think about what you are going to achieve and do bearing in mind that time is our enemy. I think you should look at this thread: For all those who think they have left revision to late. This thread was in the A level forum but
can still be handy as you have exams. It also provides info to effective revision etc.
Good luck in your exams and have faith in yourself that you can do it

I actually appreciate the quotation. Riku distract yourself
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
I actually appreciate the quotation. Riku distract yourself

No prob.:smile:
:itsme:
Have you ever seen what outside looks like?

Quick Reply

Latest