The Student Room Group

Rattling noise between 2500-3000rpm...

I drive a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.8 sri, it's belt driven and has 109,000 miles on it.

I'm getting a rattling noise between 2500-3000rpm, it sounds like lots of bits of metal rattling around inside something.

Key things to note:

- It only happens when the ENGINE IS COLD. It also lessens as the engine warms up more and increases as the engine cools.

- Sounds like its coming from the belt are

I'm thinking metal expands when it gets hotter, so a lose bolt could effectively become tight again when hot?

Any ideas of where to start/what to check. I think a key thing here is the noise goes away when engine is hot and it only happens between certain revs. Could be a lose bolt/screw resonating between certain revs?

Thanks guys for any feedback.
Is it burning oil? Has it been ran with no oil in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InconspicuousGuy
Is it burning oil? Has it been ran with no oil in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I always check it.

So far possible causes -

Cambelt pulley's/cambelt itself

Exhaust heatshield/CAT

It only happens when cold though, when warm the sound goes and I can't figure out why?
BYMP
I suspect it's related to oil - when it warms up it's viscosity lowers (it gets 'runnier') and so it's easier to pump round the engine and will travel through more restricted spaces. Quite what the problem is I'm not sure - maybe a clogged oil gallery leading to oil starvation?
Reply 5
Has it got a cam chain? Timing chain tensioner?
Original post by CurlyBen
I suspect it's related to oil - when it warms up it's viscosity lowers (it gets 'runnier') and so it's easier to pump round the engine and will travel through more restricted spaces. Quite what the problem is I'm not sure - maybe a clogged oil gallery leading to oil starvation?

Can't be this, as if I'm ragging it, and then engine is hot, if I go onto the motorway doing 60mph in 50th and the engine cools down the noise comes back a bit....?

I did think this at first, but I've been using 10w 40 oil for 7 months now, no issues?
Reply 7
Does it do it when stationary and when moving?
Or is it one or the other?
Original post by JC.
Does it do it when stationary and when moving?
Or is it one or the other?

Hi everyone,

Problem has now been solved. It was the CAMBELT tensioner, not sure exactly what happened to it, whether the bearing run dry or general wear and tear. But I got the belt/water-pump/pulley's/tensioner done and the noise has gone.

I trawled through about 50 youtube videos, until I came across a Toyota Camry with the EXACT same noise and I smiled with a sigh of relief..

Things that it could have possibly been:

- Heatshield on CAT/Exhaust manifold, middle silencer heat shields + rear
- Cambelt pulley's/tensioners
- VVT units (Variable valve timing)

Thanks for all efforts

Quick Reply

Latest