The Student Room Group

What purpose does marriage serve?

Okay, I've always wondered what people's opinions are on the concept of marriage?

Personally, as a Muslim it's a part of our religion (to an extent) that we are obliged to get married if we have the means, as a wife completes half of our religion. Other than that, I don't see much benefit in getting married other than the sexual side of the relationship.

My reasoning for this:

- Burden on Finance (as in Islam the man is the breadwinner of the family)
- Restrictions (in terms of looking after someone for the rest of your life)
- Boredom really, I'd rather go and hang out with friends than have to constantly look after some woman (maybe due to lack of experience)

I had a conversation earlier with my friends and it occurred to me that when & if I get married, I don't think I can have the same conversations with her than with friends. What do you talk about? Flowers and sandwiches?

I think the cons outweigh the benefits in my initial (20 second) evaluation.

What are the benefits of marriage (other than sexual relations)?

Scroll to see replies

A contract to ensure that defection in a relationship can be punished and the financial interests of children are protected.

It is also a good tax dodge and effective signal to others of relationship status.
Reply 2
Original post by Classical Liberal
A contract to ensure that defection in a relationship can be punished and the financial interests of children are protected.

It is also a good tax dodge and effective signal to others of relationship status.

That.

Very well said!
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Lol flowers and sandwhiches .

Mate just look at what your religion has done to you , not only are you a misogynist but you have so little exposure to women you see them as alien . I pity you really.

I think what you really meant to say was , whats the point of a relationship apart from sex.

Correct, this was the question. The rest of the post was fairly unnecessary.

Thanks for your input. The tax avoidance is a very interesting benefit.
Doesn't love come into this? Sometimes you just want to be with someone, that is enough of a reason for a relationship.

In the case of marriage, I'd argue that the disruption and bureaucracy needed to leave a marriage encourages couples to stay together, which may in theory be good for their children. In practice however it tends to tie together people who genuinely dislike each other, leading to children being raised in argumentative surroundings.

I guess marriage is now more about the event than the long term consequences.
Call me old-fashioned but what about because you love someone?
Reply 6
Visa purposes. Tax dodging.

I can't see any other benefit.
"I bet you half my bank account you'll love me forever."
Reply 8
Original post by kath_igidbashian
Call me old-fashioned but what about because you love someone?

Why do you need a piece of paper to prove you love someone?
If it serves a purpose for the married couple (bringing them closer together; religion; financial security; a good premise for having children; etc) then it hardly matters that it serves no "greater purpose", does it?
I just quite like the idea of being someone's wife and them being my husband :h:.
Other than that, I think it reaps the same benefits as a relationship where you are cohabiting; mostly stability.
Original post by Jebedee

Who says marriage is about proving anything to anyone?

Why do you need to have sex to prove your commitment to someone? Arguably people have sex because it's the next stage in their relationship; the same reasoning can be applied to marriage, surely. It's not about proving anything: it's about doing something that makes you feel happy.
Reply 12

Anyone else read that as defecation? :K:
Lol flowers and sandwhiches .

Mate just look at what your religion has done to you , not only are you a misogynist but you have so little exposure to women you see them as alien . I pity you really.

I think what you really meant to say was , whats the point of a relationship apart from sex.

:rofl:
Original post by Jebedee

See quote below

Original post by Rascacielos

Why do you need to have sex to prove your commitment to someone? Arguably people have sex because it's the next stage in their relationship; the same reasoning can be applied to marriage, surely. It's not about proving anything: it's about doing something that makes you feel happy.

Thanks for the explanation saving me from having to do so :smile:
If it serves a purpose for the married couple (bringing them closer together; religion; financial security; a good premise for having children; etc) then it hardly matters that it serves no "greater purpose", does it?

I would imagine it's a form of financial insecurity. How about if the woman in question wants to leave and demands 50% of your assets? I say this as it's fairly common for women (especially in the modern day) to get married on the basis of improving their financial well-being.
Original post by ILovePancakes
:rofl:

Its true though , doncha think ?

Sex is a vital part of a relationship and is part of nature. Marriage however is a human social construct.

Why do you need a piece of paper with autographs on it in order to have love?
Its true though , doncha think ?

100% :tongue:.
Half your Deen brah, you had better not be questioning the bigboss

Quick Reply

Latest