The Student Room Group

If your partner asked you not to date again if they died, would you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kokiri
Can't lie; I would never say this but I'd be hoping it :tongue:

Edit: If I was the one asking, that is.

Agreed, I'd kinda hope they wouldn't to an extent!
Would you move on yourself?
Reply 41
no thats stupid
My biggest fear is that something will happen to my boyfriend because I do not want to be with anyone else. Ever.

Having said that, I know that he would want me to be happy, even if that meant being with someone else; the same as I would wish for him. Whether or not I could bring myself to date someone new would depend on how I felt at the time and what the new person was like. I hope and pray that I'll never have to find out.

(As an aside, though, just because you date someone new, it doesn't mean you forget the one who died. My grandmother remarried after my granddad died because she thought her children needed a father figure, but even now, sixty years later, my granddad is the love of her life, her soul mate, the one whose photos she keeps in her flat, etc. Sometimes even death can't separate lovers.)
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous
I wasn't questioning the rationality of it, I was questioning what people would do in that scenario.

Well, I'd probably try and discuss it with them somehow. Maybe I'd try to spin it and ask them what they'd do if I died and try to argue it from that angle. I don't really like the idea of telling them that I wouldn't. I think I'd dodge the question if they don't seem all that serious about it but if they've clearly put lots of thought into it then I'd want to understand why they think that. Then again, if they felt really strongly about it I'd not push that hard. It'd puzzle me anyway and make me start to think about them.
Reply 44
Original post by Plumstone
My biggest fear is that something will happen to my boyfriend because I do not want to be with anyone else. Ever.

Having said that, I know that he would want me to be happy, even if that meant being with someone else; the same as I would wish for him. Whether or not I could bring myself to date someone new would depend on how I felt at the time and what the new person was like. I hope and pray that I'll never have to find out.

(As an aside, though, just because you date someone new, it doesn't mean you forget the one who died. My grandmother remarried after my granddad died because she thought her children needed a father figure, but even now, sixty years later, my granddad is the love of her life, her soul mate, the one whose photos she keeps in her flat, etc. Sometimes even death can't separate lovers.)

That sounds really sweet - both what you said and about your grandma! Though a bit sad and unfair to her new partner that he's the love of her life etc.
Reply 45
What you'd do as in you wouldn't date anyone else?

Probably not. Chances are I'd be happy I managed to live out somebody's life with them so I wouldn't really feel like I needed somebody else. I know one of the most inspiring things for me is that, despite my Grandad's passing before I was born, my Grandmother still keeps his photos everywhere - I'd like to show that sort of dedication to my future wife, dead or alive.
(edited 10 years ago)
No I wouldn't. If that is what she wanted. Personally I would find it hard anyway to have a long fulfilled relationship. Been together so long. I think she would want me to be happy and date though e.t.c.
(edited 10 years ago)
That sounds really sweet - both what you said and about your grandma! Though a bit sad and unfair to her new partner that he's the love of her life etc.

Well, her second marriage was a very pragmatic relationship. He did the manly things (DIY, driving, etc) and she looked after him and the family (whilst also earning a surprising proportion of the family income considering how long ago this was) and they got along happily enough, but it was for mutual support and convenience, rather than the love story that my grandparents shared.

The second husband also died before I was born, so I don't know first hand what they were like together, but I do know that, if there's an afterlife, my granddad is the one whose arms she'll be running into when the time comes :smile:
Original post by lucas13
no thats stupid

I think the same way. No one should never made such a promise. Its up to us to start a new relationship or not.
Reply 49
Doesn't seem very realistic that I'd be in a relationship with someone who's capable of saying that...
Reply 50
Original post by huhwhat
Doesn't seem very realistic that I'd be in a relationship with someone who's capable of saying that...

People can be unpredictable. But I guess you could assume they said it on their deathbed or in a note they'd left behind or something.
Reply 51
Original post by Erebusaur
Well, I'd probably try and discuss it with them somehow. Maybe I'd try to spin it and ask them what they'd do if I died and try to argue it from that angle. I don't really like the idea of telling them that I wouldn't. I think I'd dodge the question if they don't seem all that serious about it but if they've clearly put lots of thought into it then I'd want to understand why they think that. Then again, if they felt really strongly about it I'd not push that hard. It'd puzzle me anyway and make me start to think about them.

As above, what if it was said on their deathbed or in a note they'd liger or something?
Original post by Plumstone
but I do know that, if there's an afterlife, my granddad is the one whose arms she'll be running into when the time comes :smile:

Aw, that's such a sweet way of putting things. :h:
No, stupid bitch trying to control my life even when she's dead...
Original post by awe
As above; no. It is a totally unreasonable and selfish request. If this were the partner I'm with currently, I know that such a request would be said when he is 'not himself' because that isn't who he is, and so wouldn't feel bound by it... though, I probably wouldn't sit there and go 'omg no you are so selfis- RIP' or something aha. But I would not say a genuine yes, and regardless of what I responded to in the moment I would certainly hope to 'move on' eventually.

From the things you post you seem so together.
Reply 55
Original post by CJKay
I'd think it was a pretty selfish thing to say but chances are that's what I would do anyway.

Pussy whipped from beyond the grave.
Reply 56
Original post by CJKay
Probably not. Chances are I'd be happy I managed to live out somebody's life with them so I wouldn't really feel like I needed somebody else. I know one of the most inspiring things for me is that, despite my Grandad's passing before I was born, my Grandmother still keeps his photos everywhere - I'd like to show that sort of dedication to my future wife, dead or alive.

Awww, that is really sweet!
Yes, because if they truly loved me then they would want me to be happy surely and not spend the rest of my life hung up on them? I would lose all respect for someone possessive and selfish enough to make that request of me, so I wouldn't feel guilty either, more fool them for making such an absurd request. Of course if I loved them it might become a matter of whether I was able to date again, but I wouldn't let someone's deathbed request stop me from being happy if I found someone else.
Reply 58
Original post by brightcitylights
From the things you post you seem so together.

Er, thanks! :^_^:
Reply 59
Original post by zjs
Pussy whipped from beyond the grave.

By whom, exactly? A wife I've never met yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending