The Student Room Group

A level physics not maths intensive

Why is a level physics considered to be a maths intensive course. There are no quadratics, you're not supposed to have to use simultaneous equation and you don't even have to learn any formula. Tbh, it's what I'm most disappointed about physics and it is why it is my least favourite subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Look at the A2 formula sheet and tell me it's not maths intensive!

Although to be fair, AS physics is maths intensive (because a lot of it is calculations...) it's just nothing "difficult" (i.e the calculations are fairly straightforward)
Reply 2
Original post by TajwarC

Although to be fair, AS physics is maths intensive (because a lot of it is calculations...) it's just nothing "difficult" (i.e the calculations are fairly straightforward)

AS physics is not maths intensive, as far as I'm concerned, anything where more than half the marks are awarded for maths is mathematically intensive, AS is just continuous essay questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Trouty97
AS physics is not maths intensive, as far as I'm concerned, anything where more than half the marks are awarded for maths is mathematically intensive, AS is just continuous essay questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is true, but remember not all people taking physics will be taking maths, so they can't really put anything "intensive" (e.g calculus) in AS physics. Also, remember that physics isn't just about maths, you need to have understanding of concepts too (e.g particle physics)
I agree, it's a shame. They have done it to allow people to do physics without maths A-level, but maths is such an integral part of the subject at a higher level that it really does deny people something significant.
Original post by TajwarC

The A2 formula sheet is simply a load of formulae with little or no serious mathematical content behind them. As far as Maths in A Level physics goes, it is almost always entirely trivial and rarely goes beyond algebraic re-arrangement and substitution. It is abhorrent but it is the way of things; it is certainly not a mathematical approach to Physics! A Physics course grounded in Mathematics would include heavy amounts of calculus, for example, whereas it is entirely exempt from A Level. It is a shame too, as to deal with this the courses ask for ridiculous alternatives such as counting squares or rote memorisation rather than understanding. For example, when I did A Level physics we were told to memorise the graphs showing displacement, velocity and acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion, rather than just understand a trig graph and how to differentiate.

tl;dr - completely agree with you, OP. It does get much better at degree level though.
Reply 6
Who knows. My teacher was telling me that you used to have to be able to do calculus for A level, there is nothing remotely intensive about replacing a letter with a number and then keying it into a calculator.
Reply 7
Original post by TajwarC
That is true, but remember not all people taking physics will be taking maths, so they can't really put anything "intensive" (e.g calculus) in AS physics. Also, remember that physics isn't just about maths, you need to have understanding of concepts too (e.g particle physics)

There is no point making a physics course that does not require maths because to study physics at any level above physics, you have to be able to "real" maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by DJMayes
The A2 formula sheet is simply a load of formulae with little or no serious mathematical content behind them. As far as Maths in A Level physics goes, it is almost always entirely trivial and rarely goes beyond algebraic re-arrangement and substitution. It is abhorrent but it is the way of things; it is certainly not a mathematical approach to Physics! A Physics course grounded in Mathematics would include heavy amounts of calculus, for example, whereas it is entirely exempt from A Level. It is a shame too, as to deal with this the courses ask for ridiculous alternatives such as counting squares or rote memorisation rather than understanding. For example, when I did A Level physics we were told to memorise the graphs showing displacement, velocity and acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion, rather than just understand a trig graph and how to differentiate.

tl;dr - completely agree with you, OP. It does get much better at degree level though.
I'd agree with that. But it brings a question to mind; why is it like that? And is having A level maths more important than having A level physics at degree level?
Reply 9
There is no point making a physics course that does not require maths because to study physics at any level above physics, you have to be able to "real" maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I agree with that, my reasoning before was an attempt to rationalize why there isn't any real maths content. But if you're studying physics above A level you would have maths anyway so you can apply it there; my question is does that make having A level physics redundant?
Reply 10
Original post by TajwarC
Yeah I agree with that, my reasoning before was an attempt to rationalize why there isn't any real maths content. But if you're studying physics above A level you would have maths anyway so you can apply it there; my question is does that make having A level physics redundant?

Yes, there is no reason to study something if you do not wish to take it further

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TajwarC
I'd agree with that. But it brings a question to mind; why is it like that? And is having A level maths more important than having A level physics at degree level?

The reason it is like that, I believe, is to try encourage numbers of people taking Physics courses to increase, as there at least was a shortage of people doing Physics, especially teaching. Not requiring A Level Maths, at least in my experience, led to people taking the course who never would if it included serious mathematical content, people who shouldn't be taking the subject in the first place.

I would not like to say which A Level is more important, primarily because I do not do a Physics degree; I have just done a Physics module in my Maths degree.
Why is a level physics considered to be a maths intensive course. There are no quadratics, you're not supposed to have to use simultaneous equation and you don't even have to learn any formula. Tbh, it's what I'm most disappointed about physics and it is why it is my least favourite subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A-levels are all about compromise: getting a reasonable grasp of the subject with a breadth and depth that lays foundations for advanced study at university. At the same time being cognisant of not overlapping significant amounts of course content with other subjects, which would otherwise devalue its worth .

The great majority of students will study both physics AND maths with the syallabus designed to be complimentary without that content overlap.

When you get to university, the maths required for studying physics and engineering takes on a whole new meaning.
Reply 13
I do A2 physics without maths and I find I do struggle a little as for coursework and radioactivity we have to know ln and how to convert a ln equation into a y=mx+c equation which I never covered at GCSE. I think it's justified as you are have to know the theory in order to interpret questions successfully, it's not all just plugging numbers into formulae.
Reply 14
Original post by LeaX
I do A2 physics without maths and I find I do struggle a little as for coursework and radioactivity we have to know ln and how to convert a ln equation into a y=mx+c equation which I never covered at GCSE. I think it's justified as you are have to know the theory in order to interpret questions successfully, it's not all just plugging numbers into formulae.

My point isn't that it should all be about plugging in muggers, rather be about upping the level of difficulty of the maths involved, and, in accordance with that, upping the marks available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by uberteknik
A-levels are all about compromise: getting a reasonable grasp of the subject with a breadth and depth that lays foundations for advanced study at university. At the same time being cognisant of not overlapping significant amounts of course content with other subjects, which would otherwise devalue its worth .

The great majority of students will study both physics AND maths with the syallabus designed to be complimentary without that content overlap.

When you get to university, the maths required for studying physics and engineering takes on a whole new meaning.

My point is that most of the maths is too easy, resembling that of a b grade at gcse. I mean, come on, to not even have simultaneous equations in a mechanics course is just taking the p*ss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I swear you've gotta use quadratics in physics. Even if you use quadratics, I'd hardly call that maths intensive.

If anyone's not seen it, take a look at SixtySymbols video with University of Nottingham Physics profs on physics education.

http://youtu.be/Xzn2ecB4Hzs
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics at university actually more closely resembles A level maths than it does A level physics. I guess they have to pitch the maths at a low level, to accommodate students who aren't studying maths, however.
Reply 18
Original post by hslakaal
I swear you've gotta use quadratics in physics. Even if you use quadratics, I'd hardly call that maths intensive.

If anyone's not seen it, take a look at SixtySymbols video with University of Nottingham Physics profs on physics education.

http://youtu.be/Xzn2ecB4Hzs

The point is the principle of not even having something as basic as quadratics in it, and no, AQA physics categorically does not have quadratics. SUVAT is pretty close but the "UT" part is always worth nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My point is that most of the maths is too easy, resembling that of a b grade at gcse. I mean, come on, to not even have simultaneous equations in a mechanics course is just taking the p*ss

Posted from TSR Mobile

As Abe Lincoln said:

'You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time'.

I'm not justifying it, just giving you the logic behind the syllabus. I agree it could be made more demanding, but that will be at the expense of other content and will definitely put a lot of people off from doing physics. So it's definitely not a clear cut case of 'should' be made more demanding for the sake of it.

Most people go on to STEM at university without a problem, unless of course you think university STEM courses are too easy as well?

As I said, the great majority of students study both maths and physics so there really is not too much of an issue unless you are only studying physics and then you may feel short changed.

When I studied physics and maths, mathematics was taken as two subects: pure maths and applied maths. Applied maths was really the application of maths to solve physics and engineering problems.

But that meant there were three A-level subjects with large chunks of overlapping content. Not very efficient.

In the end, it's all about compromise and I think the compromise is currently not too far off the mark but I agree, it could be made more demanding - with caveats.

Quick Reply

Latest