The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL postgraduate students 2014/15

Hi - thought I'd open up a thread to start up some discussions for UCL PG students.

What course are you doing? / What are you planning to do for accommodation?

I'll be starting the MSc Management in September. Can't wait :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RedSe7en
Hi - thought I'd open up a thread to start up some discussions for UCL PG students.

What course are you doing? / What are you planning to do for accommodation?

I'll be starting the MSc Management in September. Can't wait :biggrin:

Hi! I'll be starting the MSc Telecommunications with Business. I'm still reviewing the different options for accommodation but I want to go to a House mostly with PG students and with an en-suited toilet.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hi, I'll be doing an Msc Management as well.
Reply 3
Hii I'm doing an MSc in Medical Anthropology :smile:
Accommodation wise, I'm starting to panic a bit, but I'm looking on flatsharing/room renting websites for rooms/houses in North London. There seems to be quite a lot but the months are all wrong for now :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Hi everyone! I'll be in the MA Issues in Modern Culture program at UCL. I'm super excited but kind of freaking out about costs and accommodation. I've been surprised by UCL's lack of communication. I haven't heard anything from UCL since I accepted my offer. Is it the same for anyone else?

I'm an American student, so naturally the process of actually getting to London is tricky. I'm looking to live somewhere in a cheap flat/house share. I'm paying for everything myself with no family support, so I'm on a very tight budget. My friend, Paige, was accepted to KCL's MA English program, so we want to live together.

Is anyone on here American? If so, how are you paying for your studies? I'm getting worried that I may not be able to go because of the costs. :frown:

Any and all advice from anyone is appreciated! Nice to meet you all!
Reply 5
Original post by LeahQVit
Hi everyone! I'll be in the MA Issues in Modern Culture program at UCL. I'm super excited but kind of freaking out about costs and accommodation. I've been surprised by UCL's lack of communication. I haven't heard anything from UCL since I accepted my offer. Is it the same for anyone else?

I'm an American student, so naturally the process of actually getting to London is tricky. I'm looking to live somewhere in a cheap flat/house share. I'm paying for everything myself with no family support, so I'm on a very tight budget. My friend, Paige, was accepted to KCL's MA English program, so we want to live together.

Is anyone on here American? If so, how are you paying for your studies? I'm getting worried that I may not be able to go because of the costs. :frown:

Any and all advice from anyone is appreciated! Nice to meet you all!

Hi UCL won't communicate with you until June onwards I think, they are currently very busy with exams, and they have lots of applications to deal with for both undergrad and postgrad.

Living fees in London are very expensive, the cheapest you can find that's near UCL will be at least £120-145 per week mark, and they are very hard to find (if you leave it too late, expect private accommodation at around £165-190). I would suggest apply for cheap student halls (£135 per week http://www.cassandclaredale.co.uk/term-time/claredale-house/) or find a reasonable sized studio and share it with your friend near Euston area.

Personally, I would advice you to take this accommodation with your friend:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2660989

The tenancy starts 17 June, you can think about moving to London sooner to look around, find a part time job to help you fund your studies. Or join the UCL postgrad facebook group and find people to share a larger flat there (will help reduce cost).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Anyone applied for Global Governance & Ethics?
Reply 7
Hey everyone! I'm an Irish student with an unconditional offer to study the MSc in Environment and International Development in the Bartlett. Really excited about returning to study in September! I studied Law in Ireland and moved to London in January 2013 and have been working as a consultant since then. In regards to accommodation, student housing is useful as a lot of your bills will be included and the apartments are generally nice enough. However I know from living here that you're far more likely to get a nicer and cheaper place if you look on places like Spareroom and Gumtree. A lot of post-grads I know from home have all just grouped together and found a house for 3/4 people which has ultimately worked out cheaper for them in the long run. Average rent in that situation is about £600-£750 depending on the place. Also, for those moving into London from abroad or elsewhere in the UK, don't worry about being too close to university. Transport in London is pretty great. I live in Hammersmith and it's going to take me about 20 minutes to get to university in September on the Piccadilly line or the Circle line. It looks like a longer distance on the tube map but it's really not when you actually do the journey. UCL is very well connected with a lot of different tube lines running near it. It's really easy to get to if you live in areas like Kensal Green, Acton, Camden, Archway, Dalston, Aldgate, Wapping and some areas south of the Thames as well. Those are just some areas that I would recommend for students as they're slightly cheaper but still quite safe and central.
Hi, just finished my interview for the Msc in Telecommunications with business! Does anyone here know how long they take to verify whether you have been accepted? :smile: Thanks
I'm going to study Cognitive and Decision Sciences. I also don't feel well prepared for the accommodation.
Reply 10
Hi everyone,

I'm a Turkish student and going to study MSc Computer Science. I'll be staying at the new IQ site in Bloomsbury :smile:
Reply 11
Hello! I'm an international student from the US and I'll be studying an MSc in Security Studies.

Aeniel, I will also be living at IQ Bloomsbury!
Reply 12
Original post by mpeter45
Hello! I'm an international student from the US and I'll be studying an MSc in Security Studies.

Aeniel, I will also be living at IQ Bloomsbury!

Oh great, nice to meet you :smile:
Reply 13
Hello everyone, I'm Vicky and I am Greek. I ll be studing MSc in GIS at CEGE UCL! I hope it will be a great year in London!
I just got an offer for the MA Film Studies program. I'd really love to go but I probably won't be able to due to the cost (I'm a US citizen so the exchange rate is definitely not in my favor). :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Accomodation wise:
Is anyone currently seeking house share buddies?
I am currently doing my PhD at UCL/Birkbeck and looking for postgrad students to potentially share a house with for the up-coming year in London.
Do get in touch :smile:
Hi everyone,

I am from Serbia and I got an offer for the MSc Social Cognition. Anyone else from this program?
I am currently just finished my undergraduate , and applied for MA/MSc Digital Humanities at UCL , still waiting for the next process of my application (I've got accept at Kings -- MA Digital Assets and Media Management ). I personally won't stay in hall though , and thinking of to rent flat in chelsea area(i know it won't cheap, but to consider for my next 5 years to stay as well ) .
Reply 18
I haven't heard anything since the offer for Software Systems Engineering MSc, though I got an email with a 'what to do next' which basically just says to send the needed documents when they become available (my degree classification).

To me the offer/next year isn't tangible until if put a deposit down or actual signed and sent in forms. As it stands I've just accepted the offer on their portal and that's it. Is that the same for everyone?

I'm also probably going to go for IQ Bloomsbury, still contemplating the accommodation.
Hi everybody,
I got an offer to MSc in Theoretical Psychoanalytic Studies. Anyone else in this programme? Hope to hear from you.
This is a little bit late, I know, and scholarships are (almost) all gone, but what would you recommend to an EU student be capable of paying both tuition fees and living expenses? Full-time work seems to be nearly impossible to conciliate with full time studying and part-time doesn't cover the expenses...Should I deffer? I would like to listen your opinion on this, specially from those who were (are) in same conditions. Sorry if this is off-topic but I'm not totally familiarized with the forum yet. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending