The Student Room Group

Think im going to get ABE in AS levels

hi, im at sixth form and I want to animation or graphic design at university. The grades I will probably get is an A in GFX B in Photography and an E in history. However, the college i want to transfer to for my A2s only allows you to take subjects you get a D or above in.

This means I will probably have to do 2 a2's.. and an AS subject? Could I get into uni with two a2's an AS? Or will I have to retake a third year of just finishing my third A2?
Reply 1
bump
Original post by superflysister
hi, im at sixth form and I want to animation or graphic design at university. The grades I will probably get is an A in GFX B in Photography and an E in history. However, the college i want to transfer to for my A2s only allows you to take subjects you get a D or above in.

This means I will probably have to do 2 a2's.. and an AS subject? Could I get into uni with two a2's an AS? Or will I have to retake a third year of just finishing my third A2?

Generally Uni's require 3 FULL A Levels. But some are different - contact Uni's on an individual basis and ask :smile:
To be accepted into a university, you need to have a minimum of three A-levels, meaning three A2s. If you do get an E in History then you can either retake the AS year and get Ds and above in the three subjects and then move ahead to the college to do your A2s. Conversely, you can do two A2s and one AS next year, but keep in mind you will have to take another year bringing up your AS to an A2.
Reply 4
Original post by PickwickianGeek
To be accepted into a university, you need to have a minimum of three A-levels, meaning three A2s. If you do get an E in History then you can either retake the AS year and get Ds and above in the three subjects and then move ahead to the college to do your A2s. Conversely, you can do two A2s and one AS next year, but keep in mind you will have to take another year bringing up your AS to an A2.

I don't think i'll retake the AS year because that will put my A and B grades to waste. In the second option you state of doing 2 a2's next year + 1 AS and the next year doing the final one A2 - has anybody every done that? Wouldn't that affect your chance in getting to university being at an advantage to other applicants by studying one A2 alone for an entire year?
Reply 5

You've got enough time to revise for your history. Put the effort in.
I don't think i'll retake the AS year because that will put my A and B grades to waste. In the second option you state of doing 2 a2's next year + 1 AS and the next year doing the final one A2 - has anybody every done that? Wouldn't that affect your chance in getting to university being at an advantage to other applicants by studying one A2 alone for an entire year?

Yeah, I've got a few friends who are doing that right now. But, most colleges ask you to do three subjects if you are retaking the A2 year so, alongside bringing your AS up to an A2 you will also have to retake some exams from your other A2s.

And absolutely. It does affect chances of getting into university, but only for some courses. Such as medicine and courses in Oxford and Cambridge, mainly courses that are competitive. For most it should be fine.
Reply 7
Yeah, I've got a few friends who are doing that right now. But, most colleges ask you to do three subjects if you are retaking the A2 year so, alongside bringing your AS up to an A2 you will also have to retake some exams from your other A2s.

And absolutely. It does affect chances of getting into university, but only for some courses. Such as medicine and courses in Oxford and Cambridge, mainly courses that are competitive. For most it should be fine.

So you know people right now who attend a college to study nothing other than one A2?

Why will I have to retake exams from my other A2's? Won't it work simply
as I do 2 A2'S and 1 AS at college next academic year. And then for the second year at the college I will just do one A2? = 3 A-levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
So you know people right now who attend a college to study nothing other than one A2?

Why will I have to retake exams from my other A2's? Won't it work simply
as I do 2 A2'S and 1 AS at college next academic year. And then for the second year at the college I will just do one A2? = 3 A-levels.

No, those friends are doing exams across three subjects. I'm not sure why, but my college has said you have to do that if you are retaking A2. I'm thinking it's so you haven't got an empty timetable but who knows. I believe other colleges also do this.

It makes sense to do two A2s and one AS in one year and then the A2 the next year but what I've said is the way it is. In any case, are you absolutely sure you are getting the E in History? There is still time to improve and get a D or above! If all else fails, I would highly recommend you retake AS. If you end up retaking A2, you would have wasted a lot of time spent on the admissions process everyone goes through in the A2 year for uni which you would have to go through again, should you retake A2. Additionally, it is far easier to retake AS as the content is much easier. Sorry if this isn't very clear!
Reply 9
No, those friends are doing exams across three subjects. I'm not sure why, but my college has said you have to do that if you are retaking A2. I'm thinking it's so you haven't got an empty timetable but who knows. I believe other colleges also do this.

It makes sense to do two A2s and one AS in one year and then the A2 the next year but what I've said is the way it is. In any case, are you absolutely sure you are getting the E in History? There is still time to improve and get a D or above! If all else fails, I would highly recommend you retake AS. If you end up retaking A2, you would have wasted a lot of time spent on the admissions process everyone goes through in the A2 year for uni which you would have to go through again, should you retake A2. Additionally, it is far easier to retake AS as the content is much easier. Sorry if this isn't very clear!

What you are saying makes sense now, I forgot about minimum subjects. The college has a minimum of doing 2 a levels. If i fail i'll ask if i can do an a2 and extra as in my second year thanks
Haha
Original post by 2scotty
Haha

Doesn't top a gay weather report.
Doesn't top a gay weather report.

LOL... it wasn't even a weather report!

At least I didn't get an E in anything.
Original post by 2scotty
LOL... it wasn't even a weather report!

At least I didn't get an E in anything.

LOL... it was a weather report!

At least I can read properly. The title clearly reads "Think i'm going to get" I have not yet sat my AS exams nor has it been published. LOL.
LOL... it was a weather report!

At least I can read properly. The title clearly reads "Think i'm going to get" I have not yet sat my AS exams nor has it been published. LOL.

No it wasn't. There wasn't even weather in it!!

Um, I said at least I didn't get an E in anything... I have read your title. I'm just saying that if you get an E, I didn't.

"LOL"

This is stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending