The Student Room Group

Alternatives to caffeine when revising?

I've recently started drinking coffee and have noticed that I can concentrate better when revising after drinking it, so I plan to drink coffee on the morning of my exams. However, I don't want to become tolerant to it so does anyone have any suggestions on food/drink that would give the same effect? I find that I usually get tired after a half an hour or so when revising at college.
Reply 1
I'm a serial coffee drinker, so like you have become somewhat intolerant to it lol I'm looking into energy pills or vitamin supplements that cut fatigue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Definitely don't eat/drink anything high on sugar like red bull, energy drink or candy. All they'll do is hype you up for a while and you'll be completely down in a couple of hours. Just eat healthy and sleep well and you'll be energetic enough. I highly recommend you workout (if you don't already) because it primes your brain for in taking new information.
Reply 3
Original post by bobbricks
I've recently started drinking coffee and have noticed that I can concentrate better when revising after drinking it, so I plan to drink coffee on the morning of my exams. However, I don't want to become tolerant to it so does anyone have any suggestions on food/drink that would give the same effect? I find that I usually get tired after a half an hour or so when revising at college.

apples = cleaner teeth + great at keeping you awake.
also try green tea! you may not like the taste but is so so so good for you :biggrin:
Take a look at Noopept (do some proper research into it first though, /r/nootopics reddit is a good place to start.

Get some theanine to take with your caffeine when you do take it as well, it's gives you the concentration but takes away some of the jittery-ness.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Take a look at Noopept (do some proper research into it first though, /r/nootopics reddit is a good place to start.

Get some theanine to take with your caffeine when you do take it as well, it's gives you the concentration but takes away some of the jittery-ness.

(A bit late but) Definitely agree, since I've started using noopept my entire work ethic has changed and improved dramatically. Obviously do the research beforehand but it's SO worth considering.

It has hugely benefited my studying, improved articulation, logical thinking and also provided a fair amount of creative insight. I find if I take it early in the morning before i'm due to get up, when I wake up to my normal alarm I'm immediately eager to get up and start the day, check the news etc. The day rolls on and always ends up being consistently productive throughout. Great thing is it's neuro-protective and the effects are more often accumulative and long-lasting. Highly recommend.
I have found that Coffee has little to no effect on me at all. It is really annoying because I see people everywhere going on and on about how amazing it is and how it helps them concentrate and stay awake :unimpressed:. Worst of all is the fact that it makes me run to the toilet immediately after consumption. :colondollar::angry:

I have tried Modafinil (Modalert 200g) but I am unsure as to whether it works or not as I am not certain that it completely eradicates the need for sleep whilst simultaneously improving focus.

My suggestions for focus:

1) Take a piece of paper and title it 'Distractions' - and every time you feel an urge to stop doing your work note down the distraction that caused that. This will help prevent getting distracted by the same thing repeatedly.
2) Open your windows since it's warmer now - fresh air is good.
3) Drink water.
4) Put your earphones (In-ear ones) in but don't play music, it blocks out noise and really helps you focus on what is in front of you.
5) Work in bursts of 30-45 minutes and take a 5-8 minute break doing something away from your study area such as stretching, speaking with family, dance, relax outside.
6) Keep your eyes well moisturised as this may hinder your ability to focus and stay awake.
7) Don't have energy drinks, they are awful and do not help at all.
8) Lastly, take naps! They are fantastic. Just ensure that you have someone there to wake you up in case your alarm fails to wake you :eek:

I would like to have a look at Noopept though - where do you guys get yours? Does it really work?
Original post by L'Etudiant
I have found that Coffee has little to no effect on me at all. It is really annoying because I see people everywhere going on and on about how amazing it is and how it helps them concentrate and stay awake :unimpressed:. Worst of all is the fact that it makes me run to the toilet immediately after consumption. :colondollar::angry:

I have tried Modafinil (Modalert 200g) but I am unsure as to whether it works or not as I am not certain that it completely eradicates the need for sleep whilst simultaneously improving focus.

My suggestions for focus:

1) Take a piece of paper and title it 'Distractions' - and every time you feel an urge to stop doing your work note down the distraction that caused that. This will help prevent getting distracted by the same thing repeatedly.
2) Open your windows since it's warmer now - fresh air is good.
3) Drink water.
4) Put your earphones (In-ear ones) in but don't play music, it blocks out noise and really helps you focus on what is in front of you.
5) Work in bursts of 30-45 minutes and take a 5-8 minute break doing something away from your study area such as stretching, speaking with family, dance, relax outside.
6) Keep your eyes well moisturised as this may hinder your ability to focus and stay awake.
7) Don't have energy drinks, they are awful and do not help at all.
8) Lastly, take naps! They are fantastic. Just ensure that you have someone there to wake you up in case your alarm fails to wake you :eek:

I would like to have a look at Noopept though - where do you guys get yours? Does it really work?

These guys http://www.nootropics.co.uk - you can get it all over the internet really but it's a bit cheaper here and seems to be of a really nice quality.

To be honest, the brain is obviously a ridiculously complex system so optimally fuelling it in the right way will be different from person to person - i.e modafinil will perfectly harmonise with one person's work ethic or personality, whereas another nootropic like noopept, centrophenoxine might gel better with someone else.

But from experience and people i know who've had it, noopept is pretty influential across the board, once you find the dose that works for you, boy oh boy is it an incredible thing. It's dramatically enhanced all aspects of my working style and drive.
Reply 8
To those mentioning Noopept - question on the best way to take it? Up until now, I've been sniffing it, but my nose can't physically take anymore, just constantly sneezing and blowing my nose for hours after taking. Does anyone have any good ways of ingesting it so as not to have to experience the foul taste quite so vividly?
Original post by rw97
To those mentioning Noopept - question on the best way to take it? Up until now, I've been sniffing it, but my nose can't physically take anymore, just constantly sneezing and blowing my nose for hours after taking. Does anyone have any good ways of ingesting it so as not to have to experience the foul taste quite so vividly?

Take it sub-lingually, so I usually dab out the dose onto a surface, lick my finger to mop it up then gently rub it under my tongue - washing it down after a few minutes!
Works fine every time! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest