The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Going back to uni aged 23, mature student??

I will be going back to uni aged 23 and feeling really nervous about being about 5 years older then everyone :frown: i like to party occasionally but feel like i've most grown out of it and i'm scared i won't find people on my 'level'

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

im 22 and going back as well and im worried too but i think ulalways find people on your level whether thats mature 18 yr olds who have the same interest or gradutes like urself going back to uni
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you, i really hope so! Which uni are you going to?
Original post by rosiestars
I will be going back to uni aged 23 and feeling really nervous about being about 5 years older then everyone :frown: i like to party occasionally but feel like i've most grown out of it and i'm scared i won't find people on my 'level'

Any advice?

I'm 23 and going back to university as an undergrad in September. Don't look at it as 'oh I'm old!' Instead look at what you can bring to the table for the freshers (many of whom will be 18 and it will be their first real taste of independent living), as in terms of life experience etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeh that is a good way to look at things!
Thank you, i really hope so! Which uni are you going to?

Im off to lancaster to study medicine. Yourself?
Reply 6
Oh nice, Brighton to study education
Oh nice, Brighton to study education

Thats cool a friend went to brighton and she loved it said she was always by the beach when it was nice weather
Reply 8
Yeh, I hope i will enjoy it. I had an offer to stay at home and study but thought it would be better to challenge myself! Hopefully I'll meet some nice people as well :smile:
Yeh, I hope i will enjoy it. I had an offer to stay at home and study but thought it would be better to challenge myself! Hopefully I'll meet some nice people as well :smile:

Hi rosiestars

Try not to worry! Mature student officially means anyone who is over 21 when they start uni. At Brighton that averages out to be about 30% of new students each year across all the courses. It varies and some areas tend to have more mature students than others, nursing and teaching are good examples of this. And don't forget - although of course plenty of people do come to uni at 18 or 19, there are just as many people who have taken a foundation year, worked for a while, travelled etc before hand. So it's possible that people aren't officially 'mature students' but they may be over 18 when their course starts and come from all sorts of backgrounds and experiences.

In my personal experience (as a mature student in my 20s here!) being a mature student is a fairly every day occurrence and people don't notice unless you tell them - and then are interested in what you've being doing or why you've chosen to come to uni now when you do :smile: I found lots of benefits to being a mature student - I knew what I wanted and could draw on the experience I had already to help me in lots of study situations :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes

Viv
Reply 10

Any advice?

Dont worry!!! People wont even notice!! They wont even ask! Go off and have the time of your life!
Reply 11
Thanks so much to both of you, that's very helpful! Viv I just wondered from your own experience what accommodation would be best for me? and is there a way of meeting other mature students before I start uni? Thanks :smile:
I shall be 23 so you wont be alone
Thanks so much to both of you, that's very helpful! Viv I just wondered from your own experience what accommodation would be best for me? and is there a way of meeting other mature students before I start uni? Thanks :smile:

Hi rosiestars

You're very welcome! I can remember it was something I was more worried about before I started than when I was actually here.

I had already been living in Sussex for a few years so I didn't change my accommodation when I started uni. Doing this meant that I had a bit of a commute, as I didn't live in Brighton and that had it's own benefits and draw backs of course, but it was the best option for me at the time. I think that's the key thing - to know what is it that you want?

It is worth keeping in mind that not everyone gets a place in halls, so it's good to know about all the options early on.

Halls themselves - cost, catering and location were factors for my friends. There are benefits to being as close as possible to the main place you study of course (like being able to jump out of bed and into class...I missed out on that one!) but there is a variety of accommodation close to all the campuses. Varley Park is in-between the Moulsecoomb and Falmer campus (a very short bus ride between the 3 places) and is the newest halls too. Living in halls is of course a great way to get to know lots of people from different courses and campuses too. Some people prefer to be somewhere with less people - so a shared private rented house can be a better option sometimes.

Some like living in the centre of Brighton and choose to take the bus to campus. It's all very do able! Rental costs can vary slightly between private (which may be less but you do need to factor in bills etc) and private rentals in the city centre and those around the Moulsecoomb and Falmer campus. Sometimes you may not save much but might get a larger room, for example.

The accommodation team have more info online http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation/newstudents.php?PageId=150 and if you would like any more specific advice I would really recommend giving them a ring.

They also run closed (they invite new students) house hunting groups on Facebook from August for those looking for private accommodation where you can meet potential housemates online and meet in person at organised house hunting days.
If you get a place in halls you will be invited to join a closed halls group where you can meet your new neighbours :smile: This is all Aug / Sept.

On top of that, you'll be invited to join a campus Facebook group where you will be able to get to know people from your campus and course. These tend to run from when results are coming out and places are confirmed, so that's July / August. This will be for all new students - I know last year lots of people organised meeting up and getting to know each other at the start of term, including course mates and groups of mature students from across the campus. Once you're here you'll be able to join the SU Mature students society if you want too. They're also on Facebook. So you won't be short on choice or opportunities :smile:

There are quite a few threads in this forum with new students on education and PGCE courses too, so I am sure you can find people before then here on TSR.

I think thats it ... happy to answer any other questions if I can!

Best Wishes
Viv
(edited 9 years ago)
I started uni just after my 23rd birthday. Now in my second year on Study Abroad. It's not really an issue. It's more about personality to be honest. The most immature person in my house was 24, and I met people who were very mature who were 18. Age is what you make of it. Best of luck.

The difficulty really is do you tell people or try to ignore it. I had people finding out 8 months into the year and they make a fuss as I didn't advertise. But it's only slightly annoying. Won't affect your uni year in anyway. Best of luck. Life's short if you want to go to uni then go.
Reply 15
I'm gonna be a 'mature student' too, I'll be 24 in October, studying Education =]
I'm not too worried about the age difference.. I don't think it will be that noticeable...
Reply 16
I am about to start and I am 29, I am a bit anxious most students will think I am the old one they don't want to hang with
ill be 31 when i go back!
Reply 18
Original post by 1guyb
I am about to start and I am 29, I am a bit anxious most students will think I am the old one they don't want to hang with

I'm 21 and will be turning 22 when I go back :smile:
Hi,

I'm starting in September as a mature student too - off to Brighton to study Travel Journalism!
I feel your pain, and am a wee bit nervous about being so much older than everybody, but I don't think most people will care :smile:

Good luck, maybe I'll see you there!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending