The Student Room Group

Do people use checkbooks frequently?

Hi everybody,
I've been looking at UK bank accounts and some of them have the option of having a checkbook. Is it something I should look for?
I know people in the States use checks for everything. Is it the same in the British environment? Should I want one or can I deal without?
What are checks usually used for? (say, paying accommodation fees, field trips, etc.?)

Thank y'all!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by czechmishaout
Hi everybody,
I've been looking at UK bank accounts and some of them have the option of having a checkbook. Is it something I should look for?
I know people in the States use checks for everything. Is it the same in the British environment? Should I want one or can I deal without?
What are checks usually used for? (say, paying accommodation fees, field trips, etc.?)

Thank y'all!

Hardly use mine these days - can be used for making advance payments to uni for field trips etc but most retailers will refuse to accept them these days afaict.

make sure you do get a chip and pin debit card because that's what most places will want - in fact it's already become hard to get a hotel room without a card for them to 'preauthorise'.
Hi everybody,

Thank y'all!

nah they arent used here much at all nowdays, too easily to forge, take too long to cash in, a lot of places now don't accept them. At my uni virtually all payments are made via the online system with a debit or credit card
Hi everybody,

Thank y'all!

Checks (or cheques over here) are almost redundant nowadays. Even our window cleaner refuses to take cheques anymore, let alone retailers.

Nothing wrong in having a chequebook, but you will probably hardly ever have occasion to use it. As said above its either a debit card, credit card or some form of online or direct debit payment.
I am 19 and I have never written or owned a cheque book in my life. I just pay by card. If I need to pay people then I do a bank transfer or cash.
Reply 5
Hi everybody,

Thank y'all!

They aren't use that much.. though you can use them to pay of Credit cards if you wish
My parents use them all the time.. I suppose it's different for everyone.
I have a cheque book, I used it once to pay a plumber as I didn't have cash and he didn't accept card. I would say that cheques aren't as wildly used in the UK as they are in the US.

I do believe that all current accounts offer cheque books, it's just a case of you asking for one.
I believe most current accounts will give you a few pieces of cheques for free which would be more than sufficient.

Haven't written a cheque for a long time now as I mostly prefer electronic transfers and that I believe goes for 99% of most businesses.
Reply 9
I'm amazed banks still offer cheque books!
I like the security cheques offer since the 2012 change in clearing rules.
I didn't think chequebooks still existed. I guess you learn something new every day.
Hi everybody,

Thank y'all!

I only use cheques once a month. Basically just to transfer money from my bank account into my savings account.
Original post by tehFrance
I have a cheque book, I used it once to pay a plumber as I didn't have cash and he didn't accept card. I would say that cheques aren't as wildly used in the UK as they are in the US.

I do believe that all current accounts offer cheque books, it's just a case of you asking for one.

I agree. As far as im aware most do.
Reply 14
Anyone who pays in cheques should be shot, they take so long to clear.
Original post by just a dad
Checks (or cheques over here) are almost redundant nowadays. Even our window cleaner refuses to take cheques anymore, let alone retailers.

Nothing wrong in having a chequebook, but you will probably hardly ever have occasion to use it. As said above its either a debit card, credit card or some form of online or direct debit payment.

Our window cleaner is happy to take a cheque.
Ever seen Catch Me If You Can? That's why we don't use cheques.

As an individual I wouldn't take a cheque off anybody.
As a business I would, but only up to a certain amount.

I would never give a cheque to anybody.

In the UK...
In 1990 11 million cheques were issued.
In 2012 2.3 million cheques were issued.
The number of cheques issued has halved in the last 6 years.

This includes from international banks, etc, so really, the number of cheques issues in this country is dwindling fairly quickly.

We have credit cards, debit cards, cash, BACS, online transfer, mobile transfer, Paypal, standing orders, direct debits, banker's drafts, prepaid cards, CHAPS, etc.
I think they're phasing out cheques. My bank sent me a letter saying you can't get one anymore. Besides cheques seem pointless when you can just use other faster ways of paying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkWhite
Ever seen Catch Me If You Can? That's why we don't use cheques.

As an individual I wouldn't take a cheque off anybody.
As a business I would, but only up to a certain amount.

I would never give a cheque to anybody.

In the UK...
In 1990 11 million cheques were issued.
In 2012 2.3 million cheques were issued.
The number of cheques issued has halved in the last 6 years.

This includes from international banks, etc, so really, the number of cheques issues in this country is dwindling fairly quickly.

We have credit cards, debit cards, cash, BACS, online transfer, mobile transfer, Paypal, standing orders, direct debits, banker's drafts, prepaid cards, CHAPS, etc.

You are a fool then.
Since 2012 in the UK cheques are the safest form of payment.
Original post by yellobitch
I think they're phasing out cheques. My bank sent me a letter saying you can't get one anymore. Besides cheques seem pointless when you can just use other faster ways of paying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong, they tried to phase them out but reversed their policy after the public complained.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending