Oxygen Delivery calculations

Ok, so this data below is for calculations in the questions below:-

Study Site: Sea Level 1400m
Pa02 95 70
PaC02 40 33
Tidal volume/ml 500 540
Respiratory Frequency (breaths/min) 12 15
Haemoglobin Concentration (g/dl) 14 14.7

1. How would I work out the minute volume ventilation at sea and at altitude, and the precentage increase in minute volume caused by breathing a lowered PIO2 at altitude.

2. How to calculate the arterial 02 content (Ca02) at sea level and altitude.
NB- assuming that:
- each gram of Hb can combine with 1.34ml of oxygen.
- the solubility of 02 in plasma is 0.03ml/mmHg

3. From number (2), looking at the two arterial 02 content's calculated, I don't understand how these show the haematological response that has occurred at this altitude?

4. What Hb saturation change would you expect for someone at sea level based on above data.

5. From the data above, the PaCO2 fell at altitude- I'm unsure as to how this would affect the Hb saturation reached at this altitude.

6. Why did the PaCO2 even fall at altitude

I would appreciate it very much if someone could help with hopefully (and especially!) the first three calculation questions to help with revision for a respiratory exam- my maths is a little rusty :/

Thanks very much :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Anyone?

Even just a few pointers is very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending