The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Do you think I could get in?

Right, I'm currently in year 12 and I will be applying in September. I really want to go Surrey to study Information Technology but I don't know whether my qualifications will be even taken into consideration:/ The website states I need to get either AAA-AAB or D*DD The problem is that I am not doing just pure Btecs or pure A-levels but 1 Btec, one Cambridge Tech and one A-level. (Business Studies, ICT and Public Services) I'm just worried that I may not stand a high chance of getting in because I don't do any traditional A-levels. I'm predicted a Distinction* in ICT, Double Distinction in Public Services and a B in Business. I'm on the track to get these grades, but will it be enough?
Reply 1
Original post by Daria17
Right, I'm currently in year 12 and I will be applying in September. I really want to go Surrey to study Information Technology but I don't know whether my qualifications will be even taken into consideration:/ The website states I need to get either AAA-AAB or D*DD The problem is that I am not doing just pure Btecs or pure A-levels but 1 Btec, one Cambridge Tech and one A-level. (Business Studies, ICT and Public Services) I'm just worried that I may not stand a high chance of getting in because I don't do any traditional A-levels. I'm predicted a Distinction* in ICT, Double Distinction in Public Services and a B in Business. I'm on the track to get these grades, but will it be enough?

Ask the university themselves, only they will be able to give you a proper answer.

It can vary year to year and obviously course by course. So unless you happen to get lucky enough to have someone on this forum who was in your exact situation, you're unlikely to get a good answer here sadly.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
A good personal statement will go a long way.

I wasn't predicted the grades Surrey required but was made an offer for a grade lower due to my personal statement.
Reply 3
Original post by Ben_Dover
A good personal statement will go a long way.

I wasn't predicted the grades Surrey required but was made an offer for a grade lower due to my personal statement.

Ah I see! Any tips for my personal statement ? :smile: :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Daria17
Ah I see! Any tips for my personal statement ? :smile: :smile:

Recall on your life experience, any international travel etc and link this with your course and how it would assist you in settling in at uni.

I would also consider starting your personal statement with an interesting quote relevant to your course. Your personal statement should stand out and will make a change for the person viewing it.
Reply 5
Original post by Ben_Dover
Recall on your life experience, any international travel etc and link this with your course and how it would assist you in settling in at uni.

I would also consider starting your personal statement with an interesting quote relevant to your course. Your personal statement should stand out and will make a change for the person viewing it.

Thank you for your reply :-)
I've heard that personal statements do not play a major role towards the offer.
Reply 7
Original post by Bionic_Fighter
I've heard that personal statements do not play a major role towards the offer.

It varies. Some departments will read each and every one, and will put a lot of weight on them, others won't.
Reply 8
Original post by Dan1909
It varies. Some departments will read each and every one, and will put a lot of weight on them, others won't.

What Dan said.

Taken straight from Surrey's webpage for a BSc in Computing and IT:

Selection process

Offers are normally made in terms of grades. Suitable candidates will be invited to an Applicant Day. During the visit to the University the candidate can find out more about the programme and meet staff and students.

So apparently your course doesn't fall under the category where a good PS can 'guarantee' you an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending