The Student Room Group

How does application process work for NQT's?

Probably being a bit stupid here but how does application process work for NQT's. I assume its not like in the real world where you can apply for as many jobs as you like and pick and choose?

I'm assuming jobs may be limited and that there may be 200 applicants for the same job (as in the real world) but that as a teacher applying to work for an LEA there must be certain ettiquette to bear in mind? Like if you apply for several jobs and get a job offer for one but really like the sound of another you can't very well accept the 1st offer 'just in case' but then change your mind and go for the other if you subsequently get offered the one you really want?

I can imagine this time next year I will be applying for absolutely everything within commuting distance - and maybe even decide to move so everything else as well.

Do you have to commit during the job interview if you are sure you will take the job? Do you have to declare other applications? its not like schools will want to hang around for you to make a decision - they will just give job to someone who wants it!
Reply 1
Original post by freida20
Probably being a bit stupid here but how does application process work for NQT's. I assume its not like in the real world where you can apply for as many jobs as you like and pick and choose?

I'm assuming jobs may be limited and that there may be 200 applicants for the same job (as in the real world) but that as a teacher applying to work for an LEA there must be certain ettiquette to bear in mind? Like if you apply for several jobs and get a job offer for one but really like the sound of another you can't very well accept the 1st offer 'just in case' but then change your mind and go for the other if you subsequently get offered the one you really want?

I can imagine this time next year I will be applying for absolutely everything within commuting distance - and maybe even decide to move so everything else as well.

Do you have to commit during the job interview if you are sure you will take the job? Do you have to declare other applications? its not like schools will want to hang around for you to make a decision - they will just give job to someone who wants it!

You may be asked on the day if you are still a firm applicant

Candidates are, usually, all interviewed on a single day and then one of them will be called and offered the job - it is expected that you accept or decline there and then - the other candidates will need to be called

It is not unknown for a candidate to accept a job on the day and reject later
It is also not unknown for a head to call other heads and let them know about this
It is also not unknown for a job offer to be withdrawn following these actions

It really depends on your area and the demand - I have known secondary maths and science jobs where there is only one viable candidate so they can certainly ask for time prior to making a decision
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
You may be asked on the day if you are still a firm applicant

Candidates are, usually, all interviewed on a single day and then one of them will be called and offered the job - it is expected that you accept or decline there and then - the other candidates will need to be called

It is not unknown for a candidate to accept a job on the day and reject later
It is also not unknown for a head to call other heads and let them know about this
It is also not unknown for a job offer to be withdrawn following these actions

It really depends on your area and the demand - I have known secondary maths and science jobs where there is only one viable candidate so they can certainly ask for time prior to making a decision

many thanks - I think from my own ethical and professional standpoint I would always be upfront with prospective employers - its benefited me in the past as they have appreciated it. I also think I won't be in a position to be turning down a job (!) - I live in a rural area and this year I have been watching vacancies come up and only 4 in my entire region have come up and only 1 is commuting distance!
Reply 3
I would say that the interview process tends to go very quickly compared with in some other jobs.The decision was made on the same day, for all of my interviews. In most cases, they called in the evening to let everyone know whether they'd got the job or not. In a couple of cases, they decided there and then, after a quick discussion at the end of the day, then called everyone through for feedback.

So it's very rare to have 2 job offers and have to decide between them - if you were offered a job you would usually accept it on the same day and therefore cancel any future interviews and stop applying for jobs.

Once you've accepted a job offer you have entered into a verbal contract and it would be extremely unprofessional to back out at that stage.

Therefore it's best to start off the year being picky (applying for jobs in schools which sound ideal for you, in your ideal location) and then gradually expand your search as the year goes by.
Reply 4
Original post by freida20

It will depend on what you teach and where you live really. I live in Leeds and teach English, there have been plenty of positions coming up for me but I know that is mostly to do with my subject. Those that aren't core subjects will likely struggle.

As the post above says, you're pretty much expected to accept or decline immediately. In the interview they will often ask if you're a firm candidate still and that is basically you saying you'd take the job. You're interviewed and offered the job/let down gently on the same day - so it is a bit of a quicker process.
Reply 5
Thank you both - I think this is the kind of thing I heard so process is a bit different.
I guess I don't want to hold out for a perfect job and miss out on the jobs that are coming up!
Reply 6
I would go onto TES and look at Theo's threads.
I think she has sticky's on the subject and they're really helpful with questions like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending