The Student Room Group

Is it fair that your wife/husband gets half your stuff in divorce?

Fundamentally, do you believe this is fair,' and should be applied to every marriage?
EDIT: Personally I don't and I've always questioned why - it seems more reminiscent of old times when women couldn't work and so if they divorced would be left with nothing. Right now I feel like obviously all joint bank accounts and jointly owned property gets split, but apart from that it seems really unfair to see people walk out of short marriages with loads of money they didn't earn.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It simply isn't the case that each party automatically gets exactly half in divorce settlements, just a myth that is particularly popular on TSR. Most divorces are actually settled out of court anyway.

I think most of us agree that a settlement should fairly take into account financial contributions, but also things like time spent on childcare, sacrifices one has made for the other, assets purchased together etc

I don't know why prenup is viewed as an ideal solution either. How can you make a legal agreement without all of the information (eg: what happened in your marriage and the various sacrifices and contributions made)?

The solution to divorce is compulsory mediation, and staying the hell clear of lawyers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well if people decide to enter into the stupid government-enforced contract we call marriage, the participants deserve whatever repercussions they face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it just encourages (mainly women) to target guys with wealth stay with them a few months then divorce and take them for half, hardly fair. In fact it is really a form of legalised theft in some cases. Think someone should have to me with someone substantially long say 20 years or more for them to claim half to dissuade people doing this. I think it should be based on a ratio of what wealth you had when you married and wealth earnt while together, accounting for bring up children and any inheritance of course, or everyone should have to have a pre-nupt with this perhaps the standard basis for it. Its really underhand when people are taken to the cleaners by the other half the way things currently stand. People that are gold-diggers that are not morally entitled to money in a relationship are pretty low I think.
Reply 4
I'm taking family law and I hate this myth. The 50/50 division of assets is just a starting point for deciding who gets what and why. It doesn't apply to every marriage, there are frequent deviations from the principle of equality for a huge range of reasons.

I don't think it's a question that can just be thrown into the ether and decided on a black and white fundamental point- it could be fair for one and not fair for another. As for not 'earning' money, marriage is a legal relationship which involves huge contributions both financial and non financial and both are equally important to that relationship. It can't function without contributions by both parties whatever those may be.

TLDR; hugely complex issue + myth = sad law student
Prenup.
Reply 6
Original post by BeanofJelly
It simply isn't the case that each party automatically gets exactly half in divorce settlements, just a myth that is particularly popular on TSR.

I think most of us agree that a settlement should fairly take into account financial contributions, but also things like time spent on childcare, sacrifices one has made for the other, assets purchased together etc

The idea is that all assets are marital assets and get split equally. If anything, the one who made more financial contribution could get less as they are capable of earning again whereas the other may be less able.
Reply 7
Original post by Vero_
I'm taking family law and I hate this myth. The 50/50 division of assets is just a starting point for deciding who gets what and why. It doesn't apply to every marriage, there are frequent deviations from the principle of equality for a huge range of reasons.

I don't think it's a question that can just be thrown into the ether and decided on a black and white fundamental point- it could be fair for one and not fair for another. As for not 'earning' money, marriage is a legal relationship which involves huge contributions both financial and non financial and both are equally important to that relationship. It can't function without contributions by both parties whatever those may be.

TLDR; hugely complex issue + myth = sad law student

I just wrote most of this out before refreshing 'just in case' and seeing your post haha. So yeah, this. So frustrating.
Reply 8
Original post by elpistolero7
Prenup.

Not necessarily accepted in the UK! And not all that socially acceptable either.
Original post by Stewie2011
No, it just encourages (mainly women) to target guys with wealth stay with them a few months then divorce and take them for half, hardly fair. In fact it is really a form of legalised theft in some cases. Think someone should have to me with someone substantially long say 20 years or more for them to claim half to dissuade people doing this. I think it should be based on a ratio of what wealth you had when you married and wealth earnt while together, accounting for bring up children and any inheritance of course, or everyone should have to have a pre-nupt with this perhaps the standard basis for it. Its really underhand when people are taken to the cleaners by the other half the way things currently stand. People that are gold-diggers that are not morally entitled to money in a relationship are pretty low I think.

I'm pretty sure that that's a load of balls, if a woman tried that she wouldn't be given 50%...
Original post by joker12345
The idea is that all assets are marital assets and get split equally. If anything, the one who made more financial contribution could get less as they are capable of earning again whereas the other may be less able.

Whose idea? This isn't enforced by the courts. Most divorces are settled out of courts. It's a myth.
Reply 11
Original post by Architecture-er
I'm pretty sure that that's a load of balls, if a woman tried that she wouldn't be given 50%...

Heather Mills did try it :biggrin: and it was a total disaster for her. It is indeed a load of balls.
Reply 12
I am totally selfish tbh, no way would any woman get more than the absolute minimal of what i earn. Over my dead body, it's my money!
Reply 13
Whose idea? This isn't enforced by the courts. Most divorces are settled out of courts. It's a myth.

I meant the courts idea. Are you honestly saying that in a marriage where one person contributes financially and the other doesn't, he is likely to walk out with more than 50%?
Reply 14
Original post by DurhamXI
I am totally selfish tbh, no way would any woman get more than the absolute minimal of what i earn. Over my dead body, it's my money!

Not if you marry them ...
Reply 15

I don't know why prenup is viewed as an ideal solution either. How can you make a legal agreement without all of the information (eg: what happened in your marriage and the various sacrifices and contributions made)?

The solution to divorce is compulsory mediation, and staying the hell clear of lawyers.

Because some people take the view that their money is theirs, to do as they like and don't want to be forced to hand something over in court to someone they no longer want to spend their life with.
I meant the courts idea. Are you honestly saying that in a marriage where one person contributes financially and the other doesn't, he is likely to walk out with more than 50%?

Yes, if that's fair. There's certainly no "rule" to say that he can't.

My uncle divorced his wife, they had actually been separated for some time and she was living with her parents not working. Prior to that they had the same job/income.

I know that he wasn't bitter or dissatisfied with the financial outcome - she certainly didn't cripple him by taking half of his savings or anything, she got less in the settlement and he stayed in his/their house and paid her off. And he got custody of their daughter. And this was through courts because things were not very amicable (fortunately they are now).

If you look at most of the "infamous" celebrity divorce cases, even then you'll see the lower earning partner generally doesn't take anywhere near 50% of the other's "estate".

It's just *******s.
Because some people take the view that their money is theirs, to do as they like and don't want to be forced to hand something over in court to someone they no longer want to spend their life with.

If you want your money to remain completely under your control, don't get married and don't open a joint account. Simples.

But then don't expect someone to make life/career sacrifices for you, don't expect them to share their assets, time and money with you, don't expect them to volunteer to look after the kids at the expense of their promotion.

If you want to be an individual, be an individual.

Otherwise, if you actually want to get married, then accept that it is a major financial and social commitment. Yes that might cost you - not just financially, but emotionally, socially, romantically etc. You can't just go back to being completely separate again easily, whether you wrote a magic contract decades ago when everything was very different, or not. Hence divorce and all its complexities.
Reply 18
If you want your money to remain completely under your control, don't get married and don't open a joint account. Simples.

But then don't expect someone to make life/career sacrifices for you, don't expect them to share their assets, time and money with you, don't expect them to volunteer to look after the kids at the expense of their promotion.

If you want to be an individual, be an individual.

Otherwise, if you actually want to get married, then accept that it is a major financial and social commitment. Yes that might cost you - not just financially, but emotionally, socially, romantically etc. You can't just go back to being completely separate again easily, whether you wrote a magic contract decades ago when everything was very different, or not. Hence divorce and all its complexities.

I would like to marry for love, not money. And obviously anything in a joint account or jointly owned I would expect to split.
I would share with them and they would share with me, we would both make sacrifices - but this is all freely given in our life together, if for some reason that ended they would no longer be my life and my world and so what I wanted to give to them should be up to me. If they were giving things up for me through the marriage, then they will no longer be doing so in the divorce.
People can do all the things you listed without marriage, and then they don't get any of their partner's assets - do you then consider this unfair?
Anyway, you were questioning why people want prenups - for me it's because I want to marry only to symbolise my love and commitment to someone, and to be honest I really don't expect it to end. But I also want financial security and don't want to resent payouts to a bitter ex or something, especially if the marriage ended because they cheated or became abusive or something like that. Marriage, to me, is about the lasting love and commitment and nothing more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Yes, if that's fair. There's certainly no "rule" to say that he can't.

My uncle divorced his wife, they had actually been separated for some time and she was living with her parents not working. Prior to that they had the same job/income.

I know that he wasn't bitter or dissatisfied with the financial outcome - she certainly didn't cripple him by taking half of his savings or anything, she got less in the settlement and he stayed in his/their house and paid her off. And he got custody of their daughter. And this was through courts because things were not very amicable (fortunately they are now).

If you look at most of the "infamous" celebrity divorce cases, even then you'll see the lower earning partner generally doesn't take anywhere near 50% of the other's "estate".

It's just *******s.

I may stand corrected, though I wonder if that applies to the average cases too or only in celebrity cases where there's almost no reason to award more than the massive settlement they got (e.g. heather mills walking away with millions, to give her half would be ridiculous.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending