The Student Room Group

Long distance relationship - will it work?

--
(edited 5 years ago)
Of course it can work. I do Lancaster to Bristol and have done so for over a year.

At least try. What you don't want is to cut this off, look back and wonder "what if" you had tried? You'd be giving up a definitely good thing on the possibility it might not work in the future... I never understand this logic. Surely you keep it trying until the point it doesn't work? Otherwise you might as well never get into any relationships, or any relationships while you're young, in case they don't work out.

Yes, of course **** might happen, of course it might not work - but be there to see what happens. That way, you'll know, instead of being worried by doubts and what ifs. If either one of you wants to end it for whatever reason in the future, there's nothing stopping you, so why stop this now? Unless you have a really strong desire to experience uni as a singleton or something.

As for the her cutting you off thing... Either you trust her not to do that, and not to betray you that way, or you don't. That would simply be a case of external circumstances like LDR forcing that into a light, not a problem of LDR itself.
You're both kern to continue it, you're both sad about moving away and you'll see each other fairly often. Sounds like the best set of circumstances to start one in, and yes it definitely can work, I'm in one right now!
It can definitely work if both people are willing to put the effort in, and by the sounds of it you both want it to work. If you like her as much as you say you do, I don't see why you should consider finishing with her now, when there's a chance that a LDR will work for the two of you. And if it's working now, why end it because there's a possibility it won't work? There's always a chance it won't work, doesn't mean you can't try :tongue:

Communication and trust are essential here, because in LDRs, you want to make sure that you're in contact regularly whilst not completely "suffocating" the other person, and if you trust your partner you shouldn't worry about them finding someone else when you're away/cutting you off.

I think you just need to talk about exactly what it is you want. If that is to carry on with the relationship, then I say go for it, it's perfectly possible.
Of course it can work - I've been in an LDR for about 18 months now. Like all relationships there's a risk that you might grow apart or realise that you want different things or whatever but most issues that break people up are in no way exclusive to LDRs. LDRs are hard work but there are also advantages to them - you'll both have lives independent of each others with separate groups of friends, you won't have to make decisions based on what she wants to do while you are apart and you'll still get the entire university experience (though obviously you won't experience being a single fresher). Uni holidays are enormously long - I'm home about five and a half months of the year in total and if you're planning on visiting home once a month anyway I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending