The Student Room Group

Chances at banking going into yr 3

Hi,

So i've got a summer internship at a BB in a solid MO position but it's not something i want to do in the long term. Therefore, I intend to apply to ST&R internships again all while doing the internship i have this year and I hope to do a MSc Finance once i graduate. (I'm in yr2 at the moment)

I'm from a target uni, have decent ECs and my grades are ok. So my main question here is would doing this internship help me get a foot up on the competition, would they just expect me to have done an internship in yr 2 or would the stamp of MO hurt me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Something is better than nothing.

When you say solid, I assume a lot of value adding stuff as opposed to post-trade work? When I say value adding, roles such as risk within certain asset classes (for example commodities and rates which might involve model validation) can be crucial.

Ultimately, it would be stupid for you to approach this internship and not think of it as helpful. The fact that you'll be working a few desks/or a floor away from FO people is the perfect opportunity to leverage your time there.

Be very tactful in your networking, emphasise your target credentials (while this sounds irrelevant, whenever I come across a target student in something like OPs, I always ask myself why?) and reach out to alumni. Do a bit of LinkedIn search for someone from your university, then on your internship, go to the global address book. They are always a part of their university group, go through the group and find someone on a desk you have an interest in. If possible, make a good enough impression for someone to bat for you.

On my S&T internship, we had a guy from Warwick (I think?) who was in commodities MO, something to do with risk analytics/the shape of the forward curve in our pricer and all the inputs that went in to it. He reached out to what can only be described as one of those rate breeds - patient, willing to teach, loved people from his old university - in rates trading. This dude would go to his desk at the end of each day and just help this analyst with things that made his life a little easier. This somehow culminated in the intern helping him to programme something in VBA to do with forward curves of rates which the desk actually used. Analyst convinced his VP to put a word in for the kid, to have him come back as an intern on their desk next summer. Got a FT offer the following summer without having to do a masters - some banks accept 3rd year interns. This is rare but not impossible. The difference was that this intern was smart, everyone knew it. He also took everything in and learnt A LOT. I think he was more prepared for a FO SA than most of the actual FO guys. At the same time, don't f*^&*k up your actual work in your MO line of work. This happens when you forget the bigger picture. No one will give you a chance on FO, if you actually flip the birdie to your line manager in MO.
Original post by Paul Allen
Something is better than nothing.

When you say solid, I assume a lot of value adding stuff as opposed to post-trade work? When I say value adding, roles such as risk within certain asset classes (for example commodities and rates which might involve model validation) can be crucial.

Ultimately, it would be stupid for you to approach this internship and not think of it as helpful. The fact that you'll be working a few desks/or a floor away from FO people is the perfect opportunity to leverage your time there.

Be very tactful in your networking, emphasise your target credentials (while this sounds irrelevant, whenever I come across a target student in something like OPs, I always ask myself why?) and reach out to alumni. Do a bit of LinkedIn search for someone from your university, then on your internship, go to the global address book. They are always a part of their university group, go through the group and find someone on a desk you have an interest in. If possible, make a good enough impression for someone to bat for you.

On my S&T internship, we had a guy from Warwick (I think?) who was in commodities MO, something to do with risk analytics/the shape of the forward curve in our pricer and all the inputs that went in to it. He reached out to what can only be described as one of those rate breeds - patient, willing to teach, loved people from his old university - in rates trading. This dude would go to his desk at the end of each day and just help this analyst with things that made his life a little easier. This somehow culminated in the intern helping him to programme something in VBA to do with forward curves of rates which the desk actually used. Analyst convinced his VP to put a word in for the kid, to have him come back as an intern on their desk next summer. Got a FT offer the following summer without having to do a masters - some banks accept 3rd year interns. This is rare but not impossible. The difference was that this intern was smart, everyone knew it. He also took everything in and learnt A LOT. I think he was more prepared for a FO SA than most of the actual FO guys. At the same time, don't f*^&*k up your actual work in your MO line of work. This happens when you forget the bigger picture. No one will give you a chance on FO, if you actually flip the birdie to your line manager in MO.

Thanks, so you think this internship will help towards any future FO apps in yr3 but i should network my ass off while there to get a step up?
I don't think my desk will have too much direct contact to FO so it's a little doing something like what that analyst did.
Original post by Cookiemunster
Thanks, so you think this internship will help towards any future FO apps in yr3 but i should network my ass off while there to get a step up?
I don't think my desk will have too much direct contact to FO so it's a little doing something like what that analyst did.

I don't know if it will help directly but the networking can't hurt. Yes network your ass off.

Being relentless in the best possible way will eventually get you where you want to be. Maybe not for the following summer or even after your graduate, but eventually. If you get a FT offer and don't secure any offers for FT or SA in FO, take the job, make the most of it, network and generally something will come up.
Reply 4

I'm in 2nd year too, so don't have the wealth of experience that other posters do, but personally, I feel that doing a masters could end up being quite a long, and expensive way to break into FO, especially as you still wouldn't be guaranteed a position.

If you get offered a FT job after your internship, you could apply to FO positions elsewhere, and try and get fast tracked while holding your MO position as an insurance? I may be wrong, but perhaps with a solid MO internship, you'd stand a decentish chance of getting a FO grad role somewhere smaller?
Original post by FDR
I'm in 2nd year too, so don't have the wealth of experience that other posters do, but personally, I feel that doing a masters could end up being quite a long, and expensive way to break into FO, especially as you still wouldn't be guaranteed a position.

If you get offered a FT job after your internship, you could apply to FO positions elsewhere, and try and get fast tracked while holding your MO position as an insurance? I may be wrong, but perhaps with a solid MO internship, you'd stand a decentish chance of getting a FO grad role somewhere smaller?

Thing is, I want to do the finance masters. Again, it would be at the target uni i'm currently at so it can't hurt i guess?
I'm going to try to apply to an array of internship and grad roles in case i don't get the masters, but i do have my heart set on it.

Both of you gave quite a negative vibe on the scenario. Does this mean an internship in MO is not viewed in a good light in FO? Also what about those who don't secure a summer internship going into year 3, wouldn't they be screwed then?
The only perception about an internship in MO is that if you were good enough, you would have interned in FO instead. You will have to go against that and prove people otherwise. Also, you will be competing against candidates (even from your uni) that do have FO experience.
Reply 7
Thing is, I want to do the finance masters. Again, it would be at the target uni i'm currently at so it can't hurt i guess?
I'm going to try to apply to an array of internship and grad roles in case i don't get the masters, but i do have my heart set on it.

Both of you gave quite a negative vibe on the scenario. Does this mean an internship in MO is not viewed in a good light in FO? Also what about those who don't secure a summer internship going into year 3, wouldn't they be screwed then?

That's fair enough - from my experience, lots of people who failed to land any internships, or didn't get ones they wanted have decided to do a masters just to have another crack at getting an internship, which IMO seems like a very expensive option if you're only doing it to get an internship.

I didn't mean to be negative - my reply was just in context of the thread's topic, that being you had an MO position, and wanted advice on whether it would help you get a FO position, to which my reply was that it likely would, but perhaps more so at somewhere smaller than a BB, and I only say this because firstly, obviously a FO position is going to be competitive regardless, and I'm still seeing FO grad roles being advertised at smaller places, so I assume the competition is less intense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending