The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC english language unit 1 tips!!

Hi guys can we share some tips foe the wjec language unit 1 this is the reading paper... I know past papers is vital any other tips? Feel free to pm me :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Definitely learn the vocab you learnt in class. It helped me a LOT when i did mine. Just non-stop memorising and checking you remember it by quizzing yourself.
Fold a page in 1/2 write english translation on one side and french on other. Then fold it and go through each word on one side and translate into the other language (english to french, then french to english). Highlight the ones you didnt know then repeat with just the unknown words.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! However I did mean the english language exam but thanks for that I will also use that in other subjects which I need to know termonology for :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The questions will be Inference,Information Retrieval, Writer's technique or Compare Contrast. However there could be two IR questions or 2 Inference questions etc so make sure you correctly identify the question type. For IR,you're basically picking out info from the text that are relevant to the question. Inference questions usually ask about the writer's thoughts and feelings. So pick quotations and explain the writers thoughts/feelings,e.g. I can infer that the writer thinks that reading should be encouraged in schools when he says,'it is up to schools to show children how vital reading is.' Writer's technique is quite simple,the questions typically start with 'How does the writer try to.....' Here,you must comment on a FEW techniques used,and the effect on the reader,use quotations and if suitable,pictures. E.g. The writer included a picture of people laughing and having fun at Glastonbury to show the readers how enjoyable it would be for them. He also mentions that Glastonbury tickets are 'affordable' so that the readers won't be worried about it costing too much. For compare contrast,first you identify whether it is inference CC or IR CC because you might be asked to compare the thoughts and feelings of the writers in both texts,which is essentially inference,but picking out things from both texts. If it is an information Retrieval CC,you basically say what one text says about something compared to what the other says. NOTE:s-smilie:ome CC questions will tell you how to lay out your answer and if to use headlines,make sure you follow it! Try to aim for writing 10-12 points for each question,even if its a 10mark one so you are cushioned if you lose any marks. Hope i helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank u!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest