The Student Room Group

Mock exam results have had negative impact on my motivation

My first IGCSE exam will start in less than 13 days. However, I haven't really done anything aside from homework.
I have a really bad motivation problem - I am very motivated to learn anything IF it's not on syllabus e.g. TED talks videos etc.

The thing is, I had mock exams in January. I barely did anything for them. I only paid attention in classes and at the night before the exams, I just flipped through my class notes (not revision notes that you make afterwards). However, I came out with A* maths, A* coordinated science, A* French, A History, A Geography, B English language, C English literature, which I am quite satisfied with as my university degree is likely to be a STEM subject. Also the English language didn't include the 3 coursework essays I've written well imo which is about 50% of total grade.

For practice exams I have every Thursday at school, I also get good grades with just flipping through my class notes...

I find this very scary. I am very frustrated not being able to motivate myself. I KNOW I need to do something, but the other myself is like "oh dude, you're alright, enjoy your holidays".
I LOVE studying, don't get me wrong. I love to know new things and how things work, but I love studying when I am learning something new.

But seriously...I am scared I might fail because I haven't done anything. But if I do anything like revision, I know that I know all these stuff. I only need to remember little names for biology or dates for history which I will forget if I start memorising 2 weeks beforehand... I'm so frustrated about myself asdfaeraasd please father christmas of TSR, give me motivation to force myself revise for sake of my calmness
Reply 1
Those mock results are great. I understand your frustration though, revision 'guilt' is a pain to deal with. But you can easily motivate yourself by
a) listening to music such as...
[video="youtube;QEjgPh4SEmU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU[/video]

b) Thinking about all possible outcomes on results day and how you want to get the highest grades possible. The stronger your GCSEs, the better... but don't feel as if they determine your entire future, because they certainly do not carry as much weight as a-levels, but are important nonetheless

c) Go revise! I know it'll be a drag but you might as well do it, who knows you could exceed your mock grades and that'd be even better! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
Those mock results are great. I understand your frustration though, revision 'guilt' is a pain to deal with. But you can easily motivate yourself by
a) listening to music such as...
[video="youtube;QEjgPh4SEmU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU[/video]

b) Thinking about all possible outcomes on results day and how you want to get the highest grades possible. The stronger your GCSEs, the better... but don't feel as if they determine your entire future, because they certainly do not carry as much weight as a-levels, but are important nonetheless

c) Go revise! I know it'll be a drag but you might as well do it, who knows you could exceed your mock grades and that'd be even better! :smile:

I listen to music and I start singing!!!! D:
Oh well...yeah I wanna be happy about my results but...well... I have a pride to get maths and science A*, but my teachers for these subjects would always tell me "Continue like this and surely you will get A*! Even if you get 99% UMS at GCSE your grade won't change anyway" yet I've done NOTHING about these subjects outside of school (except these TED talks or other scientific youtube videos but that doesn't concern GCSE). Continue like this? Duh. Seriously... It's great to have teachers who know students' abilities but oh boy they are demotivating me as well :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest