The Student Room Group

Need good excuse for skipping class?

I just started university about 2 months ago. I never attend the lectures or tutorials. Rather I just watch the recorded lectures and do the tutorial work at home. This works for me and I have been getting good grades. Lectures and tutorials aren't compulsory at my university... for like 95% of courses. But I just found out today that one of my courses has compulsory attendance. I sort of just assumed that it didn't, which was stupid. Anyway, my professor sent me an email asking me why I haven't been to class and saying that attendance is 10% of my grade. I'm going to start attending that tutorial but I don't have an excuse to make up for missing the first 8 tutorials. I don't know what to say. Should I say that I had other commitments or maybe personal issues? Or should I say exactly what I said here even if it will make me look very stupid?
Just be honest with them. Coming up with an excuse for missing one or two tutorials is easy, but missing 8 it a bit excessive. You don't even get to sit the exam at my uni if you haven't attended at least 75% of tutorials.
my best real one was I CANT UNDERSTAND THE TEACHER
Reply 3
The truth is a good start.
Reply 4
Stop being a bitch and admit you made a mistake.
Reply 5
Original post by incurable
I just started university about 2 months ago. I never attend the lectures or tutorials. Rather I just watch the recorded lectures and do the tutorial work at home. This works for me and I have been getting good grades. Lectures and tutorials aren't compulsory at my university... for like 95% of courses. But I just found out today that one of my courses has compulsory attendance. I sort of just assumed that it didn't, which was stupid. Anyway, my professor sent me an email asking me why I haven't been to class and saying that attendance is 10% of my grade. I'm going to start attending that tutorial but I don't have an excuse to make up for missing the first 8 tutorials. I don't know what to say. Should I say that I had other commitments or maybe personal issues? Or should I say exactly what I said here even if it will make me look very stupid?

If you really are getting good grades - ask to meet with your tutor, and tell him you're really sorry but you genuinely didn't know it was compulsory. You didn't feel as inclined to attend when you felt it was optional, because your grades were still strong and you work better with independent study. However you are very sorry, and will from here on attend all seminars and maintain the good grades.

Just be honest. If you're getting good grades don't actually care, they just have to make it look like they do, and they can't finish the year with bad attendance in their classes.

Quick Reply

Latest