The Student Room Group

Grads paying to work for free...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just to up date on this the guys have been here now 3 days and they are all really decent people. Had a chat with a few and the general consensus they seem to have is - its this or nothing. The uni actually got them the placement.

What's the betting though that the uni sold them the degree saying you'll get a job at the end...not "when you finish this will find you a place where you can go and be in the office and work for free and pay to do it"
Reply 21
Its the grads last day on Friday. Out of the 12 I believe one has managed to obtain an interview - the rest their CV will remain "on file". Better than nothing I suppose.

As said though to me the whole process was just glorified work experience - and its the best their delivarence of their degree to date.

Only time will tell the worth of their qualfications vs the worth of their experience with us.
Original post by 1drowssap
The Financial industry is cutthroat, especially if you want to join big banks. If you don't have A*s at A levels and a first from oxbridge, you're practically screwed(at least that is what I'm constantly told). Even then, its not enough, work experience may be used to filter out applicants, which invariably creates a high demand for internships. That's probably why banks/financial companies can charge for internships.

This is such a lie. I know plenty of people in that sector with none of those things. One even has a 2:2.
Original post by redferry
This is such a lie. I know plenty of people in that sector with none of those things. One even has a 2:2.

Can't believe I made that post 6 weeks ago. Time really flies. Well, to be honest with you, all that I mentioned in that post was what I gathered from TSR. I do not really have much experience on this, so I relied on hearsay on this forum. People on here constantly say go Oxbridge to get in to big banks, and that there are a list of target unis that banks choose from. So, from all that I derived that if you go to a uni which is not a target nor a semi target then you are f***ed. Talk to people like Abdul Karim and all those TSRians interested in working for big banks, and you'll see where I got those ideas from. Then there were whole threads on having a 2:2 being pretty much useless, where I tried to defend the position of 2:2 being still a lot better than not having a degree at all, and I was told I was wrong, as they pointed out that 75% of big companies use the filter of 2:1 and above.

What I said in my previous post was basically echos of what some people on TSR constantly tell others, and really influenced my thinking when I was writing that post. Looking back at the post, I do not really agree with it either. I believe that all graduates do stand a chance no matter which uni they come from, or what their grades were, to go into the financial industry.

If it's alright with you, I would like to retract what I said in the previous post. I do agree with your view point but some people on here would say otherwise.
Can't believe I made that post 6 weeks ago. Time really flies. Well, to be honest with you, all that I mentioned in that post was what I gathered from TSR. I do not really have much experience on this, so I relied on hearsay on this forum. People on here constantly say go Oxbridge to get in to big banks, and that there are a list of target unis that banks choose from. So, from all that I derived that if you go to a uni which is not a target nor a semi target then you are f***ed. Talk to people like Abdul Karim and all those TSRians interested in working for big banks, and you'll see where I got those ideas from. Then there were whole threads on having a 2:2 being pretty much useless, where I tried to defend the position of 2:2 being still a lot better than not having a degree at all, and I was told I was wrong, as they pointed out that 75% of big companies use the filter of 2:1 and above.

What I said in my previous post was basically echos of what some people on TSR constantly tell others, and really influenced my thinking when I was writing that post. Looking back at the post, I do not really agree with it either. I believe that all graduates do stand a chance no matter which uni they come from, or what their grades were, to go into the financial industry.

If it's alright with you, I would like to retract what I said in the previous post. I do agree with your view point but some people on here would say otherwise.

Awh, what a reasonable and loveley post.

You'll notice everyone saying that **** hasn't got to uni yet :wink: once you graduate and get some work experience you realise there are plenty of people in the banking sector who don't fill those requirements!
****ing sad state our society is in now. Paying for the privilege of being able to sell ourselves as slaves to work for the gain of others. **** capitalism.
Reply 26
Original post by forfrosne
****ing sad state our society is in now. Paying for the privilege of being able to sell ourselves as slaves to work for the gain of others. **** capitalism.

No **** the individuals and institutions that tell people that degrees = a £30,000 plus job in your lap as soon as your done and there is not any alternative route to sucess.
(edited 9 years ago)

No offence, but to get into the BBs or Law firms you need a 2:1+ if you're coming out as a grad. To get your foot in the door you should preferably attend a target/semi-target unless you have extremely good connections and ECs. However, the latter are the exception to the rule.

For instance, I was at an AC and all the candidates there were from targets/semis. From what I recall there were students from the following institutions:

Oxbridge / LSE / Bristol / Cass / Manchester
Original post by Demographics
No offence, but to get into the BBs or Law firms you need a 2:1+ if you're coming out as a grad. To get your foot in the door you should preferably attend a target/semi-target unless you have extremely good connections and ECs. However, the latter are the exception to the rule.

For instance, I was at an AC and all the candidates there were from targets/semis. From what I recall there were students from the following institutions:

Oxbridge / LSE / Bristol / Cass / Manchester

Whatever dude. This thread shouldn't be constantly revived.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending