The Student Room Group

Intercalated degree after 2 years of MBBS - reduced student finance?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of finishing my 2nd year of medicine, and I'm gonna intercalate in September, before the final 3 med years.
Currently running through the student finance stuff, created an application for my intercalated BSc; up until now, I've been receiving the minimum maintenance loan of £4,988 (with no grants). However, my application for the BSc says I'll only receive £4,588 next year...I know it's only £400 less, but still, that's a fair bit of money for a student!
Considering this is lower than their "minimum" maintenance loan, it seems wrong, so I googled around and found out this is the minimum rate for final year students. Seems like they've considered my intercalated year as a final degree year, even though it's only my 3rd out of 6 really...anyone else had this issue, should I get in touch with them and try to get it rectified?

Sorry for the long-winded message, thanks :p:):smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds incorrect to me, get in touch and check with them (though prepare for hours of frustrating phone calls...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunnybacon
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of finishing my 2nd year of medicine, and I'm gonna intercalate in September, before the final 3 med years.
Currently running through the student finance stuff, created an application for my intercalated BSc; up until now, I've been receiving the minimum maintenance loan of £4,988 (with no grants). However, my application for the BSc says I'll only receive £4,588 next year...I know it's only £400 less, but still, that's a fair bit of money for a student!
Considering this is lower than their "minimum" maintenance loan, it seems wrong, so I googled around and found out this is the minimum rate for final year students. Seems like they've considered my intercalated year as a final degree year, even though it's only my 3rd out of 6 really...anyone else had this issue, should I get in touch with them and try to get it rectified?

Sorry for the long-winded message, thanks :p:):smile:

Ring them and get it corrected - the final year one is less because it doesn't cover the summer. Be prepared for student finance having no idea what an intercalated degree is, thinking you've dropped out of medicine, and then screwing it up further when you try to go back to medicine next year.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice :smile:
I tweeted them first, to which they replied intercalation is considered a one year course and so I'll only be covered up until the end of the "course".
Sounds dodgy to me, since I'm still gonna be studying right up until Summer 2018, so I think you're right, I'll have to ring them up. What a pain!
Thanks for the advice :smile:
I tweeted them first, to which they replied intercalation is considered a one year course and so I'll only be covered up until the end of the "course".
Sounds dodgy to me, since I'm still gonna be studying right up until Summer 2018, so I think you're right, I'll have to ring them up. What a pain!

They're a pain! Be prepared to have to keep phoning them up again and again...

I don't recall getting less money for my intercalated year (after my second year too). I did however, have to fight for the tuition fee loan :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by FFCrusader
They're a pain! Be prepared to have to keep phoning them up again and again...

I don't recall getting less money for my intercalated year (after my second year too). I did however, have to fight for the tuition fee loan :rolleyes:

That's ridiculous, why did they challenge your tuition fee loan? :eek:
That's ridiculous, why did they challenge your tuition fee loan? :eek:

Well, I had to change the course on the student loan website to the intercalated one, just so it adds up later on to the correct number of years. The system automatically changes your tuition loan to £0 as you've appeared to have changed degrees. Took a few calls to get that sorted :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by FFCrusader
Well, I had to change the course on the student loan website to the intercalated one, just so it adds up later on to the correct number of years. The system automatically changes your tuition loan to £0 as you've appeared to have changed degrees. Took a few calls to get that sorted :tongue:

Hmm, luckily mine was fine regarding tuition fees.

Rang them, the guy I spoke to said I was correct, I should be getting this year's minimum amount for London (£5038) rather than the final year amount (£4588) because it's obviously not my final year. Told me to finish submitting the application (even though it says the wrong amount) and ring back.

Spoke to a different person, who initially was confused, put me on hold for ages, then agreed with what the previous person had said about it being the wrong amount. She said something about the fact that the error should be picked up during the assessment stage, they'll notice that it's an intercalated degree and correct the amount (even though I'm not sure if mine'll get "assessed"? Since I'm not applying for the extra income-assessed part or any grants).

I guess I'm gonna have to wait for the confirmation letter to come through in a few weeks time and see what it says, and take it from there really, if it's still wrong I might have to write a letter to their offices. Thanks for all the help everyone :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm, luckily mine was fine regarding tuition fees.

Rang them, the guy I spoke to said I was correct, I should be getting this year's minimum amount for London (£5038) rather than the final year amount (£4588) because it's obviously not my final year. Told me to finish submitting the application (even though it says the wrong amount) and ring back.

Spoke to a different person, who initially was confused, put me on hold for ages, then agreed with what the previous person had said about it being the wrong amount. She said something about the fact that the error should be picked up during the assessment stage, they'll notice that it's an intercalated degree and correct the amount (even though I'm not sure if mine'll get "assessed"? Since I'm not applying for the extra income-assessed part or any grants).

I guess I'm gonna have to wait for the confirmation letter to come through in a few weeks time and see what it says, and take it from there really, if it's still wrong I might have to write a letter to their offices. Thanks for all the help everyone :smile:

If it's still wrong ring them, ask for the complaints resolution team. You then get a named person dealing with your case and a specific phone number to contact them instead of playing the call centre lottery each time.
Reply 9
Every ****ing year they managed to mess up my money. They only get it right now because I owe them! Hope you get it sorted.
Original post by Sarky
Every ****ing year they managed to mess up my money. They only get it right now because I owe them! Hope you get it sorted.

Pretty sure they're still getting it wrong for me - my annual statements seem to be missing some repayments :mad:
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
Pretty sure they're still getting it wrong for me - my annual statements seem to be missing some repayments :mad:

Do you want me to add them to my sweary anger list? It's growing at a crazy rate...
Original post by Sarky
Do you want me to add them to my sweary anger list? It's growing at a crazy rate...

Oh definitely. I'm rubbish at complaining/confrontation on the phone. But this could potentially involve quite a lot of money so I would appreciate help with arse kicking!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If it's still wrong ring them, ask for the complaints resolution team. You then get a named person dealing with your case and a specific phone number to contact them instead of playing the call centre lottery each time.

Checked online just now and they've "approved" the incorrect amount, looks like it wasn't corrected, so I guess I'll have to speak to their complaints resolution team up tomorrow, thanks :smile:

I guess I was gonna face some bad luck with Student Finance eventually, my two years up until now have been fine so I should have expected a screw-up by now :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Console yourself - the glorious years of the NHS Student Bursary are in your future!!
I know my reply is late but I had the same problem when I applied for student finance in my intercalated year. They reduced my loan by just under £1000 and justified it by saying a BSc is not a compulsory part of my MBBS degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi same thing happened to me, but you should get the full amount for the year. I ended up going through my medical school finance department, who contacted SFE directly to resolve it. If you can do this I recommend it as it was really easy!
Totally forgot about this issue during exams, now that they're over I'm trying to pursue it again, no luck so far :frown:

Original post by mysalvation
I know my reply is late but I had the same problem when I applied for student finance in my intercalated year. They reduced my loan by just under £1000 and justified it by saying a BSc is not a compulsory part of my MBBS degree.

Spoke to them today, and half an hour of arguing later, didn't get anywhere. I didn't quite get this excuse, but they basically said "your iBSc is a one year course, so it is the final year of itself"...wtf. I tried to explain that it's essentially the 3rd year of my 6 year medicine degree, but they're so incompetent, they just kept repeating the same thing.

Original post by alicexelizabeth
Hi same thing happened to me, but you should get the full amount for the year. I ended up going through my medical school finance department, who contacted SFE directly to resolve it. If you can do this I recommend it as it was really easy!

After that horrible, useless phone call today, I emailed my finance team, hopefully they'll sort it out!
Update number 2...my finance team didn't really help, so I wrote an appeals letter to the Student Finance Appeals team, feeling hopeful.

Got an email back today saying that my letter isn't an appeal, but rather a "request for review" because I'm questioning the amount of support awarded and the way my application has been assessed, rather than "appealing" how the regulations have been applied. I don't see a distinction personally, sounds like waffle to me :s-smilie:

They said it's been forwarded on to the appropriate department, rather than the Appeals team, who will contact me "in due course"...another week I'm guessing. arghhh

I'm not even doing this for the money anymore, it's only £450, I'm just doing it for the principle now. Ridiculously simple fix, and yet they drag out the process of fixing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm really surprised your Uni finance team couldn't help! Mine were very useful and forwarded the problem and solution details direct to student finance, who fixed it within a week. I'm sorry you are having to go through this hassle. And £450 is a lot for a student and you are entitled to it!

Quick Reply

Latest