The Student Room Group

Do you get your tax back?

Basically, i am working full time apparantly and initially, i used to pay only NI but lately, i have even started to pay tax which takes my lot of money. Its pretty upsetting :frown: . So i was wondering, does the taxes come back (if i am paying extra) on its own without having to write the HM revenue?
Reply 1
Original post by kiara139
Basically, i am working full time apparantly and initially, i used to pay only NI but lately, i have even started to pay tax which takes my lot of money. Its pretty upsetting :frown: . So i was wondering, does the taxes come back (if i am paying extra) on its own without having to write the HM revenue?

Welcome to the real world. Sometimes you get a tax rebate at the end of the year, I did a couple of times when I was working 2 jobs whilst at uni but the best bet if you think you are paying too much is to ring the tax office and get your tax code checked. I've had mine wrong on occasions (partly due to a feckless woman doing the wages in one job who wouldn't be told by anyone) and had to get letters sent to employers to change my tax code. Also helped when I know a few people who work in local tax office who could help work out what I should be paying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kiara139

We all have to pay tax im afraid.
But if you want to get your tax code checked, then phone the tax office and get them to check. They can then change it if its not right and if you re owed money, then you will get it back.
Reply 3
Thanks.. I will soon call them up and get it check. what about the NI? Is there any chances to do the same for NI? the tax year ends in 5 april. So can i check my NI for this last tax year? i mean till this april.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending