The Student Room Group

can i get into a russell group uni??

My Gcse grades were decent however not amazing.
I got
2 distinction* (we all had to take these btecs in my school)
2A's
5B's
2C's

The thing is I know my Gcse grades aren't up to that level, however I want to study law in a Russell group uni, so if I get all A's in my a levels will I be accepted?
I'm currently studying
As law
As philosophy
As history
As English literature
As critical thinking (this will be a part of my aqa baccalaureate so I'll be doing the extended project too)
Have you looked at faculty websites?
Reply 2
I got 11 qualifications, 8 were GCSE's that are 2A* and the remaining 6 all B's. I got Distinction, Distinction+ and a Pass.
Going to knuckle down on A levels and hope to get A. I want to do:
English Lit,
History,
Geography,
Govt&Politics

I'm in the same boat as you as I also want to do Law at Russel Group Uni. It's all resting on my A levels tbh.

Your predicted grades will give you some clue as to whether you can get A's. Although predicted grades aren't 100% accurate
Aside from Oxford, Cambridge and applications for Medicine, the most any other Uni will expect from GCSEs is C grades in English and Maths (or occasionally a B grade). Only if you don't have a key subject at A level will they specify a GCSE grade (ie. 'Must have GCSE Biology at grade B or above if not taking it at A level' etc). Many aren't interested in your GCSE grades at all. PS. 'Russell Group' doesn't mean a great deal (despite what your teachers might tell you) - St Andrews, Bath and plenty of other good Unis out there are not part of the Russell Group.

What your application will rest on is your AS grades and your A2 predicted grades, plus your personal statement.

You need to check the 'Admissions requirements' for each course at each Uni - they will all be different in terms of grades/subjects required. And you need to start practising your Personal Statement.

Lots of general advice about applying to Uni - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applications_to_higher_education
Reply 4
They will look at your GCSE grades but they are of relatively little importance. If you got straight As at a levels this is absolutely fine (more than enough for most RG unis) but remember extra curriculars are also extremely important.
Original post by returnmigrant
Aside from Oxford, Cambridge and applications for Medicine, the most any other Uni will expect from GCSEs is C grades in English and Maths (or occasionally a B grade). Only if you don't have a key subject at A level will they specify a GCSE grade (ie. 'Must have GCSE Biology at grade B or above if not taking it at A level' etc). Many aren't interested in your GCSE grades at all. PS. 'Russell Group' doesn't mean a great deal (despite what your teachers might tell you) - St Andrews, Bath and plenty of other good Unis out there are not part of the Russell Group.

What your application will rest on is your AS grades and your A2 predicted grades, plus your personal statement.

You need to check the 'Admissions requirements' for each course at each Uni - they will all be different in terms of grades/subjects required. And you need to start practising your Personal Statement.

Lots of general advice about applying to Uni - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/applications_to_higher_education

LSE and Durham are quite picky on GCSEs and Imperial too....I think people on TSR call them 'GCSE Nazis'.
Whose Russell? lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Warrior King
LSE and Durham are quite picky on GCSEs and Imperial too....I think people on TSR call them 'GCSE Nazis'.

I want to apply to LSE, but I only have 2 A* (Maths and Religious studies) and the rest B's (6 B's). If I get the required grade for LSE (A*AA) do you think I can get in? Keep in mind my school had a pass rate of only 32% for GCSE pass that year!
Reply 8

but isn't it more impressive to employers if you say you attended a Russell group uni?
Original post by wellholathere
but isn't it more impressive to employers if you say you attended a Russell group uni?

The majority of main stream employers want a graduate with a sensible degree subject from a university they have heard of. 'Russell Group', League Tables and any other 'rankings' are actually meaningless. The only people who obsess about this are school leavers and misinformed teachers. Out here in the real world it doesn't actually matter if your degree is from Leicester, Derby, Strathclyde, Brighton or Manchester - its 'a degree'.
(edited 10 years ago)
The majority of main stream employers want a graduate with a sensible degree subject from a university they have heard of. 'Russell Group', League Tables and any other 'rankings' are actually meaningless. The only people who obsess about this are school leavers and misinformed teachers.

But surely in competitive subjects such as law, they would rather have an Oxford graduate than someone who graduated from the 100th ranked uni
I said 'most mainstream employers' - which is where 99% of all graduates end up working. And even in Law, Banking or Medicine, once you have a few jobs on your CV, that becomes far more important than 'which University'.

This may surprise you.
Original post by sih97
I want to apply to LSE, but I only have 2 A* (Maths and Religious studies) and the rest B's (6 B's). If I get the required grade for LSE (A*AA) do you think I can get in? Keep in mind my school had a pass rate of only 32% for GCSE pass that year!

I really can't say you would need to write to the university and ask and perhaps ask your tutor to explain this in the reference.

Quick Reply

Latest