The Student Room Group

My CV is 3 pages. Too long? Should I remove extracurricular activities?

As an undergraduate student I was very active. I obained two degrees, I founded my own student association and I volunteered for 9 organizations in 4 countries. Because of my considerable experience, my CV is 3 pages long.

I want to apply for a postgraduate degree at Cambridge or Warwick. Is it better to send a CV that is 2 pages long. What do you think?

If so, I will have to remove some of the extracurricular activities. However, I think my broad volunteer experience is my strength. How to decide which experience is more relevant or looks better?

Thank you so much for your help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Remove your Gcse info, and even your A-level.
Reply 2
Excessive amounts of travelling and volunteering right left and centre can send mixed messages in a CV.
Reply 3
3 pages is a joke, even 2 pages is arguably excessive, especially since as an undergraduate you wont have done much worth writing about.

Also I wouldnt list all 9 of your volunteering roles (especially not for a postgraduate application where noone cares anyway), just pick the most prestigious/braggable one or two and drop the rest. Founding your own organisation is nice for private sector jobs but wont add much to an academic CV unless its directly relevant to the area you are applying to (e.g. a charity if you are applying for a Development degree, and so on) - its worth a couple of sentences at best. Having two undergrad degrees is not a positive, and you should include something in your cover letter explaining why this happened, particularly if they are in unrelated fields.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes it's too long.

No you shouldn't remove the extracurriculars.

It is very unlikely that you have so much experience it won't fit on one page with concise formatting and brevity of prose.
Reply 5
Original post by Josb
Remove your Gcse info, and even your A-level.

You shouldn't take off your A Levels unless they are bad, but they should only be a single line.
Reply 6
Yeah, way too long. I recently shortened mine down too one page. Unless you want them to not bother, make it shorter. As above, pick the most important and don't flood it with volunteering. Make it very brief too. GCSEs either drop or one line. .
Reply 7
Original post by Old_Simon
Excessive amounts of travelling and volunteering right left and centre can send mixed messages in a CV.

Why is that? Could you explain that to me? :-) I am not British, so it is very likely that I do not uderstand what kind of experience is valued in the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by poohat
3 pages is a joke, even 2 pages is arguably excessive, especially since as an undergraduate you wont have done much worth writing about.

Also I wouldnt list all 9 of your volunteering roles (especially not for a postgraduate application where noone cares anyway), just pick the most prestigious/braggable one or two and drop the rest. Founding your own organisation is nice for private sector jobs but wont add much to an academic CV unless its directly relevant to the area you are applying to (e.g. a charity if you are applying for a Development degree, and so on) - its worth a couple of sentences at best. Having two undergrad degrees is not a positive, and you should include something in your cover letter explaining why this happened, particularly if they are in unrelated fields.

Thank you for your response! This is very helpul :-) I disagree with you on one thing. In the US, two majors is impressive, not a bad thing. It shows you took a lot more coures than other people and have obtained almost a double amount of credits.
Reply 9
Original post by Maw89
Why is that? Could you explain that to me? :-) I am not British, so it is very likely that I do not uderstand what kind of experience is valued in the UK.

Regarding volunteering:

a) Doing 9 voluntary jobs potentially shows a lack of focus
b) Volunteering isnt prestigious since anyone can do it - the point of having it on your CV is just to show enthusiasm (this is in contrast to prestigious things like leading sports teams/societies, founding your own business, etc) . Having one or two voluntary positions already ticks the 'enthusiastic' box
c) Some of your volunteering jobs will look better than others, so including the 5 crappy ones you did just takes space away that could have been better used writing more about the one or two really good ones.
d) Universities dont really care about extracurriculars anyway, unless they are directly releated to the course you are applying to. Its more of a private sector thing.

I'm not saying you have to leave the others out, but when writing you want to pick one or two to focus on and either drop the rest or just mention them in passing (ie no more than one sentence to cover all the others, or just list the names of the organisations, as in "In addition [to the one or two just described] I have also done voluntary work at the Red Cross, Human Rights Watch, etc").

Regarding travelling:

Most travelling is irrelevant and doesnt demonstrate anything beyond the fact that the person is capable of navigating their way to an airport and getting onto the right plane. I went to Disneyland as a kid but I dont put it on my CV.

The exception is travel that is directly relevant to your course since this can demonstrate enthusiasm/interest (eg you are applying for a Geology MSc and went on vacation to a place with geological significance, or you are applying for a degree in Chinese History and went to China), or travel where you done something that displays a high level of competence or work ethic (eg you climbed Everest). Even then it probably shouldnt be on your CV, its more of a cover letter or personal statement thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
"If a CEO can keep his CV to one page then there is no reason why you can't"

OP, cut it down and prioritise a few things that are most important. At the bottom, you can have a line or two that just lists other stuff you have done without going into detail especially as it is very similar.

The point of a CV is to highlight the most important points and other activities to decide whether to give you an interview, not your life story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Maw89
Thank you for your response! This is very helpul :-) I disagree with you on one thing. In the US, two majors is impressive, not a bad thing. It shows you took a lot more coures than other people and have obtained almost a double amount of credits.

A joint major is somewhat impressive and worth mentioning. I thought you meant 2 degrees as in "you studied one for 3 years, got a degree, and then spent another 3 years doing a different one", rather than both at the same time.
Reply 12
Also I've just noticed you might be from the US - typically American universities put _much_ more emphasis on extra-curriculars than UK universities do. I realise that to get into Harvard you need to write endless amount of prose about the summer you spent building mudhuts in Kenya, but that isnt really how it works in the UK because a) UK universities tend to be explictiy focused on meritocracy and academic achievement rather than trying to attract 'future leaders' like the Ivies do, and b) UK universities are sensitive to accusations of classism and so are reluctant to focus on extra-curriculars since its lot easier to do charity/voluntary/etc work if you come from a wealthy background.

The extra-curricular stuff is worth mentioning and it might make a difference at the margin, but the core of your application should be your academic achievement, and your _relevant_ industry work/extra-curriculars/etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by will2348
"If a CEO can keep his CV to one page then there is no reason why you can't"

OP, cut it down and prioritise a few things that are most important. At the bottom, you can have a line or two that just lists other stuff you have done without going into detail especially as it is very similar.

The point of a CV is to highlight the most important points and other activities to decide whether to give you an interview, not your life story.

This is generally correct, however the reason why CEOs can keep their CV ultra-short is because being a CEO of a well-known company is so prestigious that it trumps everything else worth mentioning. If Mark Zuckerberg applies to work at your company, you dont ask him what he was doing before he founded facebook.

Unless you have something on your CV which is equivalent in prestige to being the CEO of a multi billion dollar company, its probably safer to play the "I have several small things which add up to me being awesome, rather than one big thing" card instead. This implies a slightly longer CV, although I agree that trying to keep it within one page is ideal (if you absolutely must use 2 pages then make sure the most important things are all on the top half of page 1).

The same broadly applies to academic applications too - if you are applying for a PhD in a mathematical field and you have a distinction in Part III from Cambridge and an IMO gold medal, then your CV could be one sentence long and you'd still get in everywhere you applied (the sentence would be "My name is X, and I am an IMO gold medalist with a distinction in Part III"). However for the other 99.99% of people it makes sense to list all your relevant achievements, in the hope that while they are individually more modest, they add up to something good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by poohat
Also I've just noticed you might be from the US - typically American universities put _much_ more emphasis on extra-curriculars than UK universities do. I realise that to get into Harvard you need to write endless amount of prose about the summer you spent building mudhuts in Kenya, but that isnt really how it works in the UK because a) UK universities tend to be explictiy focused on meritocracy and academic achievement rather than trying to attract 'future leaders' like the Ivies do, and b) UK universities are sensitive to accusations of classism and so are reluctant to focus on extra-curriculars since its lot easier to do charity/voluntary/etc work if you come from a wealthy background.

The extra-curricular stuff is worth mentioning and it might make a difference at the margin, but the core of your application should be your academic achievement, and your _relevant_ industry work/extra-curriculars/etc.

Thank you for this explanation. I am very happy you told me this. I am not from a wealthy family, so I certainly don't want to make that impression. I just want to do something for other people. By the way, the most important extracurricular activities are related to student societies. I didn't build huts in Africa, haha :-p
Reply 15
I didnt mean that coming from a wealthy family is a disadvantage (it isnt), I just mean that UK universities dont give much weight to things like spending your summers doing voluntary work or going on exciting holidays, since there is recognition that these are things that its easier to do if you are from a moneyed background and dont have to spend your summers working to fund your university education.
Reply 16
I would cut down to 1 page and just list the extra curriculars/volunteering that you think will be most impressive to the admission tutor. You can always cut down words and format to get to 1 page.
It's important in any CV that you're as concise as possible, and that the experience you list is 'relevant'. If your voluntary experience is directly relevant to the postgraduate degree you're applying for then you can be more verbose, but if it's not, I'd keep it short and sweet.

However, it is worth noting that the "two page" rule for CVs doesn't apply to academic CVs. (And there's certainly no need to cut it down to a single page!) Most academic CVs are substantially longer than two pages, as you typically have sections for papers published, conferences attended, prizes and funding received, teaching experience, etc. But as you're currently an undergraduate, this probably won't apply to you yet! :wink:

Here are some examples of academic CVs for current postgraduate students, if you're interested:
Reply 18
Original post by HettyMerton
It's important in any CV that you're as concise as possible, and that the experience you list is 'relevant'. If your voluntary experience is directly relevant to the postgraduate degree you're applying for then you can be more verbose, but if it's not, I'd keep it short and sweet.

However, it is worth noting that the "two page" rule for CVs doesn't apply to academic CVs. (And there's certainly no need to cut it down to a single page!) Most academic CVs are substantially longer than two pages, as you typically have sections for papers published, conferences attended, prizes and funding received, teaching experience, etc. But as you're currently an undergraduate, this probably won't apply to you yet! :wink:

Here are some examples of academic CVs for current postgraduate students, if you're interested:

Wow! Thank you! These examples of academic CVs are incredible. :-)
Reply 19
One double sided page really should be the limit. Employers just don't have the time to read 3 page long CVs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending