The Student Room Group

Critical density of the universe

According to my revision guide we can calculate the critical density of the universe using the equation ρ0=3H028πG \rho_0 = \frac {3H_0^2}{ 8\pi G} but surely as this uses Hubble's constant (and the fact that it's ρ0 \rho_0 not ρc \rho_c ) then this is finding the density of our universe, not the critical density? Or am I getting it all mixed up? Either way ρc=ρ0 \rho_c = \rho_0 to give us a flat universe supposedly, but I don't understand which one I'm finding! :redface:

Edit: Just checked and in the textbook it's down as ρc \rho_c in the equation and in the formula booklet it's ρ0 \rho_0 ... Now I'm even more confused :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
According to my revision guide we can calculate the critical density of the universe using the equation ρ0=3H028πG \rho_0 = \frac {3H_0^2}{ 8\pi G} but surely as this uses Hubble's constant (and the fact that it's ρ0 \rho_0 not ρc \rho_c ) then this is finding the density of our universe, not the critical density? Or am I getting it all mixed up? Either way ρc=ρ0 \rho_c = \rho_0 to give us a flat universe supposedly, but I don't understand which one I'm finding! :redface:

Edit: Just checked and in the textbook it's down as ρc \rho_c in the equation and in the formula booklet it's ρ0 \rho_0 ... Now I'm even more confused :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think probably you're being taught/asked to assume that the universe is critical and therefore that ρc0

obviously the value you get out depends on the value of H0 you're using and of course IRL there's still rather a lot of uncertainty about what it's value is.
Original post by Joinedup
I think probably you're being taught/asked to assume that the universe is critical and therefore that ρc0

obviously the value you get out depends on the value of H0 you're using and of course IRL there's still rather a lot of uncertainty about what it's value is.

Yeah that might be it- it does say that further down the page but is fairly unhelpful about it if I'm honest :tongue: True, in the exam questions there are several different values for H0 given so that's the point they're trying to make I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest