The Student Room Group

Train rides: Do you like to chat or be left alone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllGee.
:eek: Where were you going?

China:biggrin:
The number of anti social people on TSR is staggering:eek:
It depends. I don't mind talking to someone if there's enough to say but I'm usually tired on journeys so I keep to myself and my music. If it's a short journey I usually have a chat but on longer ones I usually get ready on the train because I'm lazy so I'll sit there doing my makeup etc. in which case I don't really want to talk to anyone.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Yeah but what u gonna talk about? The weather?

I'm guessing you're southern.

If you're interesting enough convo just flows
Left alone tbh...although I would be open to a conversation if it wasn't forced...if you know what I mean :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by SamTheMan95
Unless its someone asking for information or an attractive woman, Im shoving my earphones in.

Lol this!

But what's with the judgemental comments of 'wow that's so anti-social' (and not to mention the term 'anti-social' has got nothing to do with not talking anyway, its not like I'm going to get an ASBO for not talking :rolleyes:), everyone's different, so what if I don't really want to talk to complete strangers who I may or may not have anything in common with?

I usually wouldn't completely ignore someone who talked to me on the train unless they creeped me out or something, but I prefer a relaxing journey listening to music and looking out the window, its far too stressful for me being introverted and socially anxious to have to make small talk with a complete stranger on a train.
I am travelling in London. People would think I had a mental illness if I tried engaging a stranger in conversation.
Reply 87
Original post by arson_fire
I`m an introvert and hate small talk so I far prefer to be left alone. If somebody speaks to me I won`t be rude and ignore then but I wouldn`t start a conversation either. Unfortunately I have one of those faces that attracts weirdos so quite often I end up talking to strange folk anyway.

Omg I thought I was the only one who had one of those faces! Very annoying isn't it?
I like talking to people, the only people that tend to talk on trains are American and they are pretty fun to talk to
Original post by Olie
Lol this!

But what's with the judgemental comments of 'wow that's so anti-social' (and not to mention the term 'anti-social' has got nothing to do with not talking anyway, its not like I'm going to get an ASBO for not talking :rolleyes:), everyone's different, so what if I don't really want to talk to complete strangers who I may or may not have anything in common with?

I usually wouldn't completely ignore someone who talked to me on the train unless they creeped me out or something, but I prefer a relaxing journey listening to music and looking out the window, its far too stressful for me being introverted and socially anxious to have to make small talk with a complete stranger on a train.

Some people just don't understand boundaries on trains, so I just avoid communication.
The only conversation ive ever had on a train was on a 2 hour journey to London and I was sitting next to a Falklands veteran visiting some friends. I could've listened to him all day.
Original post by A100whoo
I'm guessing you're southern.

If you're interesting enough convo just flows

lol no, far from it. Not even English. I'm half Dutch/half Nigerian. I guess talking to a stranger on a tube in London is not really the norm, unless you're asking for directions?
That's a fair point I guess :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by (Ari)
You take the train to university everyday for 1h20mins back and forth? How do you do that? Do you live next to the train station or something?

Haha no. I'm starting in September but will be living on campus. I meant that i took the train to visit the university which was 1 hour and 20 minutes away from where i live :redface:
Would be far too lazy to commute everyday :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Always put in my headphones and play candy crush. Just like everyone else. It's not anti-social, it's just really not the done thing to talk to strangers on my train and I'm quite happy with this, in the morning I like to be left alone. I find it creepy when people try talking to me unless it's something like 'does this train stop at _?'
Just leave me alone, I'm awkward enough as it is without a total stranger trying to talk to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If and when I use the train in UK I usually place a bag or two of mine on the seat next to me so no one sits next to me. Usually don't like to talk to anyone on the train as I prefer using it for more productive purposes like doing some work or catching up on reading. If someone does strike a conversation and it is someone I can tolerate then I will converse with them. Thankfully usually no one in UK tend to speak to me on the train as I'm quick to bring out my laptop and it does seem most people get it that I don't want a conversation.

In Norway where I often take the train from Bergen to Oslo or Bergen to Stavanger which does take some long hours and it is usually the case someone will strike a conversation usually on why can't the trains go faster. I generally go on the basis that 99% of persons in Norway is an honest person and try not to think he or she is a con or crook. Usually there will be some small talk about where we are headed to and what will we be doing there, some months back had a girl ask me to proof read her thesis and had another who asked me to proof read her personal statement that over 70% of it had to be re-written and LOL some months back while on a trip back to Bergen I sat next to this girl who said I reminded her of her boyfriend whom she had not seen for many months due to him being in prison and she craved for a cuddle and helped herself on me to a cuddle.
I prefer to be left alone to read my book/listen to the musical smorgasbord that was the 80's, although if it's some hench guy who wants directions then I might take my headphones out...

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one talks to each other on the tube, not even eye contact is made lmao. I don't think anyone would ever strike up a conversation with me on the tube unless they wanted to go on a date and described me on metro's rush hour crush or something. Besides the tube, haven't really been on proper train rides for more than an hour. If I do have to take the national rail, I'm not by myself so I don't have to worry about talking to strangers or not.
It depends. I don't mind being by myself on the train - usually I'll be listening to music, or aiming to read a book/do work - and sometimes its just not the time.

On the otherhand, despite the fact I'm not very talkative, I've had conversations with people on the train before and usually I've been OK with it.
Here's a list of the ones which stand out in my head (All been within a year, so its me being a 16/17 year old girl)
- Got sat next to an seventy-year old guy on the train. This was a little annoying/awkward, but I couldn't feel like I could just ignore him (it was a two hour train ride), even when he said "oh I'll shut up if you want" I was like "no its fine!! (its not)". Then he asked me if I wanted to go for a coffee afterwards and he looked sad when I said no :frown:
- Accidently sat myself next to two blokes who were coming back from a stag do, really drunk despite being about 3pm and making a lot of noise. BUT I actually got on OK with them - I was really nervous and I think they were taking the piss out of me, but it was pretty funny
- On a morning train, in a bad mood, must have looked really depressed or something, because this guy on the aisle opposite got my attention and asked if I wanted to listen to his headphones because I looked bored :tongue: I instantly declined, but actually regretted it because I thought it was quite a sweet offer, and he didn't say anything after that. Cheered me up anyway.

So ya it really depends what mood I'm in/what I want to do. But I'd never be rude to anyone even if I wasn't feeling it, and I'd always talk anyway!
If I'm with my mum or bf I like to talk but if I'm alone I like to just chill myself or have my headphones in rather than do small talk with a stranger next to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what I'm getting most from your answers is that generally, people like to be left to themselves on the train. Cool beans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending