The Student Room Group

Train rides: Do you like to chat or be left alone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
lol no, far from it. Not even English. I'm half Dutch/half Nigerian. I guess talking to a stranger on a tube in London is not really the norm, unless you're asking for directions?
That's a fair point I guess :tongue:

Lol no I certainly wouldnt do it on a tube.

Northerners are lot more friendlier, convo just starts e.g. someone moans about bus being late, you agree, and then just get talkingi guess :s
Reply 101
I don't mind chatting to people, if someone starts talking to me, it can be interesting! I've met some lovely people that way, doesn't do any harm. I seem to have had more chats to people on planes than trains though when on my own.

On a plane once a woman started chatting and showed me all her holiday photos and shared her food with me, then hugged me bye at the airport like we were best mates. Much better than sitting awkwardly on my own!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EllGee.
So what I'm getting most from your answers is that generally, people like to be left to themselves on the train. Cool beans.

Its sad really. The exact same people will then complain about how they can't make friends/ can't find a girlfriend/ why are people so unfriendly/ why don't people help each other more/ why is there so many antisocial behaviour.

Well, you reap what you sow. As society has become more aloof and insular with their stupid earphones in rather than talking to the people around them, it has also become a far less friendly, tolerant and pleasant place to be.
I'd rather be left to look out the window, listen to music and imagine all sorts of action and cool fantasy worlds in my head.
Original post by Solemn Rain
I can't believe how anti social people are here!

I would talk if someone spoke to me.

Most people would talk, if someone spoke to them, it's not being social, it's simply being polite.

Would you initiate conversation though?
Reply 105
I need to concentrate on when to duck through tunnels, so being left to my own devices is best.
An old man starting chatting with me today he was nice, i didn't mind guess he just wanted company he looked kinda lonely too so i felt bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sure, but I usually have earphones in/on phone, or if I'm tired and it's a long journey, then sleep.
I'm very shy and don't start conversation on my own. By the way, I like being left alone and always looking grumpy, no one really started a conversation with me :tongue: However, yesterday one lady kept staring at me which made me feel very uncomfortable :erm:
Original post by EllGee.
If you're riding the train for whatever length of time, and you don' t have friends with you, do you like striking up conversations with strangers or do you prefer to be left alone with your headphones?

And I guess you can tell me why, if you feel like it.

Depends on my mood and the length of journey. I usually bring my laptop on long journeys to watch DVDs.
I think that it's quite sad that there's a stigma on communication
Let alone... People scare me...
hahaha id rather listen to music on my own, if it's a long journey

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll admit, I prefer keeping to myself too. I'm quite a shy and quiet person, so it just doesn't come naturally to me, to start up a conversation with a stranger. If they started talking to me, of course I'd chat with them if they weren't odd or creepy. But I usually have my headphones in and am staring out the window (if I'm lucky enough to get a window seat.)
Ethics:
- Don't stare at me, look at me and see if I look inviting, if not then pls **** off you're making me feel uncomfortable.
- Don't bother me when i'm wearing headphones / look busy (you can bother me if i'm reading and you've read the book before or something)
- Don't approach me if I look annoyed.
- Don't sit by me if you're drunk, racist etc
- Don't worry if you're awkward as long as i'm not doing anything i'm good at leading conversations.

I'll make a list and work out the probability of someone wanting to be talked to :tongue:
Original post by Manmurder-
An old man starting chatting with me today he was nice, i didn't mind guess he just wanted company he looked kinda lonely too so i felt bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

did he started talking to your first? and how long was your train journey
Original post by superflysister
did he started talking to your first? and how long was your train journey

Yes we only talked for 3-4 mins but my journey was about 15 mins, we started laughing at this other lady who was saying really wierd stuff to herself then he was like "quite the case isn't she" and i lold then we just had normal small talk weather etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take the train at least 4 times a week during term time for the past 2 years and I've always wanted to be left alone. I usually just listen to music, nap or get lost in my train of thoughts. Just personal preference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get the train once week it’s a short journey but strangers have asked me to do favours for them like a stranger with a suitcase last week . AND I always have my music on on the train except for London Underground as the background noise is too loud in the tunnels that you can’t hwqt the music even when it’s at full

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending