The Student Room Group

Train rides: Do you like to chat or be left alone?

If you're riding the train for whatever length of time, and you don' t have friends with you, do you like striking up conversations with strangers or do you prefer to be left alone with your headphones?

And I guess you can tell me why, if you feel like it.

Scroll to see replies

Prefer to be left alone hence why I put my earphones in. I don't like having conversations with strangers I find it proper awkward

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually I don't mind it, it passes the time and you can have some interesting conversations. As long as the other person is not obnoxious or irritating its cool.

I can see why females find it irritating though, if a guy who they have no physical interest in, starts trying to make conversation.
I usually have my headphones in, but if something happens that strikes a conversation then I'll go through with it. Not just going to ignore someone.
Depends. I like daydreaming so I'm perfectly happy just to sit on my own on a train for 9 hours, but I also like talking to people, if someone strikes up a conversation I'll happily have a chat. But I guess I prefer to be left alone, trains are my favourite places to daydream or do work. Plus half the time on trains I'm asleep anyway.
Reply 5
Wouldn't mind if they had something useful or nice to say, if they start going on about their life randomly and ask me for my opinion on something I can find that quite interesting, if they talk about how loaded they are or whatever I couldn't care less
I personally wouldn't start a conversation with anyone on the train, I'd be worried that I was annoying them :tongue: And I'm always listening to music anyway. I'm happy to chat to someone though, and when I'm travelling between home and uni there's always other students. Had a couple of cool conversations with people on trains :smile:
Original post by arson_fire
I`m an introvert and hate small talk so I far prefer to be left alone. If somebody speaks to me I won`t be rude and ignore then but I wouldn`t start a conversation either. Unfortunately I have one of those faces that attracts weirdos so quite often I end up talking to strange folk anyway.

Feel like I could have written this tbh. I'm not really into talking to strangers so I'll try and disappear asap but people always try talking to me :lol:
I hate taking long train rides alone. Is so boring :tongue:

I wouldn't normally start a conversation with someone i don't know. If i know i'm going on a long train ride then would bring music or a book/magazine :redface:
Headphones in, tablet on, do not disturb.
Original post by Robbie242
Wouldn't mind if they had something useful or nice to say, if they start going on about their life randomly and ask me for my opinion on something I can find that quite interesting, if they talk about how loaded they are or whatever I couldn't care less

would you say you got the good grades you have in maths, history etc primarilly from independent study at home throughout the year because of having bad teachers?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Headphones in, tablet on, do not disturb.

Haha, love it!
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
I hate taking long train rides alone. Is so boring :tongue:

I wouldn't normally start a conversation with someone i don't know. If i know i'm going on a long train ride then would bring music or a book/magazine :redface:

I actually like long train rides alone...Well, depends what you consider "long." Over here in America, I've taken Amtrak trains that take me 7 hours to get from point A to point B. Nightmare...
To chat, obviously. I'm not antisocial.
Original post by superflysister
would you say you got the good grades you have in maths, history etc primarilly from independent study at home throughout the year because of having bad teachers?

Bit irrelevant to the thread but I'll keep this short, if you want to know more VM/PM me.

I got the grades for many reasons:
a) Wanting to prove all my teachers wrong
b) Quiting WoW and suddenly working extremely hard
c) Ability to be independent developed significantly, via teaching myself Further Maths AS and having all my own notes etc - basically starting from September and working consistently hard all the way till the final exam
Original post by EllGee.
I actually like long train rides alone...Well, depends what you consider "long." Over here in America, I've taken Amtrak trains that take me 7 hours to get from point A to point B. Nightmare...

Oh wow that's so long :eek:
I don't think i could cope with that, my university is 1 hour and 20 minutes away on the train and i think that's too long haha :tongue:
Original post by cole-slaw
To chat, obviously. I'm not antisocial.

Well it's not really obvious to anyone except you and people who know you're not antisocial, is it?
I can't believe how anti social people are here!

I would talk if someone spoke to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think i could cope with that, my university is 1 hour and 20 minutes away on the train and i think that's too long haha :tongue:

1:20? Pfft, that's nothing! Yeah, after 7 hours, you'd surely go insane, haha.

Try 14 hours on the train....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending