The Student Room Group

Will retaking a year at uni (Bsc), hinder my medicine application ?

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if retaking a university year will hinder your application or not. I have gotten 2:1 so far, which is good enough to apply for medicine, however my third year seems a bit more bleak. If I manage to get a 1st or 2:1 (high) in my 3rd year via a retake, will it go unnoticed or will it hinder my application ?
Reply 1
Original post by stevenkash
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask if retaking a university year will hinder your application or not. I have gotten 2:1 so far, which is good enough to apply for medicine, however my third year seems a bit more bleak. If I manage to get a 1st or 2:1 (high) in my 3rd year via a retake, will it go unnoticed or will it hinder my application ?

It will likely raise eyebrows. It's best to contact medical schools directly and ask their opinion.
Reply 2
Hmmm I applied to med scool after I finished uni, I can't remember anywhere on the Ucas form where they would ask you to disclose that information.
Unless you for some reason don't get honors or something?
If you don't mention it. I doubt the med school would know, and hence, won't ask about it. They only ask for a 2.1, they not say anything about time frame!
I have a feeling there's a stipulation about completing your degree within the expected time frame, just like how people have to complete A levels in a 2 year time frame. Best to e-mail the unis and check though as i'm several years out of date now.
Reply 4
Original post by Freyr
Hmmm I applied to med scool after I finished uni, I can't remember anywhere on the Ucas form where they would ask you to disclose that information.
If you don't mention it. I doubt the med school would know, and hence, won't ask about it. They only ask for a 2.1, they not say anything about time frame!

The thing is, Queen Mary is the only university that seems to tell us the course needs to be done within the right time frame, other universities just ask for a 2:1. I still can get a 2:1 this year, but I just need some reassurance if I manage to fail in that task.
Reply 5
Original post by Freyr

The thing is, Queen Mary is the only university that seems to tell us the course needs to be done within the right time frame, other universities just ask for a 2:1. I still can get a 2:1 this year, but I just need some reassurance if I manage to fail in that task.
Reply 6
Original post by Beska
It will likely raise eyebrows. It's best to contact medical schools directly and ask their opinion.

There seems to be nothing implicated in regards to retaking a year, they seem to indicate that A-level students who retake are not considered, yet nothing in regards to graduates. I assume as long as you get the degree, it does not matter, also there is nothing in regards to retaking a year on the ucas website.

maybe I am being too optimistic, if I were pragmatist, I would say my chances are slim.
Original post by stevenkash
There seems to be nothing implicated in regards to retaking a year, they seem to indicate that A-level students who retake are not considered, yet nothing in regards to graduates. I assume as long as you get the degree, it does not matter, also there is nothing in regards to retaking a year on the ucas website.

maybe I am being too optimistic, if I were pragmatist, I would say my chances are slim.

I think you will only be given the option of retaking a year if you fail the year. Meaning you get less than 40%. If you retake the year your mark will be capped at 40%, making it very difficult to average a 2.1.

If I was you I would focus on getting a 2.1 instead of thinking of contingency plans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending