The Student Room Group

Physics question?? Waves on a rope

A transverse wave travels along a rope . State two differences between the velocity of the wave itself and the velocity of a small piece of rope ! ???
Thanks
Original post by emmalav
A transverse wave travels along a rope . State two differences between the velocity of the wave itself and the velocity of a small piece of rope ! ???
Thanks

Think about where the wave is moving to and from, then focus on one part of the rope - where is this moving to and from?
Reply 2
Original post by emmalav
Thanks

Is it a comparison between how fast the wave moves along the rope, to how fast a section of the rope is moving up and down? Just a guess not really sure
Original post by harreeeee
Is it a comparison between how fast the wave moves along the rope, to how fast a section of the rope is moving up and down? Just a guess not really sure

Yes, it will be :yep:
Reply 4
Original post by Illusionary
Yes, it will be :yep:[/Q
The more i thought about it I realised that the velocity of the rope was to do with the particles in it . Thus, it just that wave is travelling with a constant velocity but the particles in it are vibrating up and down about their equilibrium position and as a result their average velocity is zero? thanks? Not sure if this is right but could yuo also write that the velocity of the wave is the rate of energy transfer , whereas, the velocity of the rope is the rate of change of displacement of the particles in the rope about their equilibrium position :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
If velocity is a vector quantity then what two things does it have? One of these is VERY different for a small piece of rope and the wave. I'm assuming the second point you're meant to make is about the other part of a vector...
Reply 6
Direction . Oh yes completely forgot about that the particles in the wave have a velocity perpendicular to the velocity of the rope , would that be right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest