The Student Room Group

Australia is very racist.

Everywhere has racists true but some places have many more like Australia.

I've been to Australia and been called a brown chinky (i'm from nepal) and told to **** off from loads of white Australians, and I walked slowly past this angered them more but they didn't do much as I was taller than them.

Also this many racial attacks on brown people, much more than a few isolated cases in the UK for example. Makes me think Austrila is very racist and i've seen and heard of it at work as well, browns not being promoted etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/thereporters/soutikbiswas/2010/01/why_are_indian_students_being_attacked_in_australi.html

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1921482,00.html

This is one of the worst ones.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/australian-job-ad-asks-no-indians-or-asians-apply/2012/08/29/e1fcd556-f1d9-11e1-a612-3cfc842a6d89_blog.html

A series of violent assaults on Indians in 2009 and 2010 prompted protests across Australia and condemnation from the Indian government.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't say. Don't get why people enjoy visiting that place so much. In terms of scenery it looks beautiful, but it is more than ruined by the genetic cesspit that is the population there.
Reply 2
Original post by DurhamXI
You don't say. Don't get why people enjoy visiting that place so much. In terms of scenery it looks beautiful, but it is more than ruined by the genetic cesspit that is the population there.

That's the problem, how can we eradicate it when racism is riff at the powerful top level and all the way at the bottom level as well.
Try political correctness but it will just move racism to the backdoor like UKIP.
Reply 3
Dont forget the Aborigines, who were mass murdered.
I have heard that the Australians are a very racist nation, but then again I've never been there so I wouldn't want to brand them as such.
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I have heard that the Australians are a very racist nation, but then again I've never been there so I wouldn't want to brand them as such.

You don't want to, you'll just get called a "Pom". Yes, that is how racist they are, they even hate other white people (if you are white as i remember correctly).
Yeah it has a bad reputation.

Saying that though, my best friend moved to Sydney 6 years ago and married a mauritian man who moved there too. They've never experienced any racism and neither have any of the minorities they know. So people experiences do vary.

How sad in 2014 race is still such a big issue!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I traveled and lived in Australia for a bit. I found many of the White Australians to be quite openly racist against the Aborigines and Asians.. especially in the northern half of the country.
Reply 8
I have an uncle who studied there for 2 years as a surgeon.. he did not have a pleasant experience. He's a practising Sikh too.
I don't think it's as racist as people make it, it to be.

They were racist against Indians because of a controversy when an indian cricket player apparently labeled a black Australian cricket player as a monkey.

Every place has racists unfortunately.
Mildly amusing that your avatar is from a story set in Australia...
Reply 11
Original post by honeyandlemon
Yeah it has a bad reputation.

Saying that though, my best friend moved to Sydney 6 years ago and married a mauritian man who moved there too. They've never experienced any racism and neither have any of the minorities they know. So people experiences do vary.

How sad in 2014 race is still such a big issue!

In Australia. They are a backwards country socially.
Which other countries have really bad racist reps?
Having lived in Australia and taught at several Universities there ......

City Australia is very cosmopolitan. There is the same amount of racism, sexism and homophobia as in any other city anywhere else. Country Australia is a another matter. There are some right-wing red-necks who have never been out of Australia, never met anyone with a brown skin or a different accent but think they know everything about 'terrorism' (yes, its that knee-jerk an association).

I love Melbourne. I love the people, the eclectic culture that embraces all things. I love the trams, the beaches, and the restaurants in Carlton. I also love the country areas in small doses. But I wouldn't want to live there.
Reply 14
Original post by honeyandlemon
Which other countries have really bad racist reps?

Eastern European countries and Russia springs to mind
France is another.
Reply 16
Original post by kumon
Everywhere has racists true but some places have many more like Australia.

I've been to Australia and been called a brown chinky (i'm from nepal) and told to **** off from loads of white Australians, and I walked slowly past this angered them more but they didn't do much as I was taller than them.

Also this many racial attacks on brown people, much more than a few isolated cases in the UK for example. Makes me think Austrila is very racist and i've seen and heard of it at work as well, browns not being promoted etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/thereporters/soutikbiswas/2010/01/why_are_indian_students_being_attacked_in_australi.html

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1921482,00.html

This is one of the worst ones.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/australian-job-ad-asks-no-indians-or-asians-apply/2012/08/29/e1fcd556-f1d9-11e1-a612-3cfc842a6d89_blog.html

A series of violent assaults on Indians in 2009 and 2010 prompted protests across Australia and condemnation from the Indian government.

I heard about that wretched TV show 'Neighbours' receiving loads of abuse when they brought an Asian family into the show.
NooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooOOOOoOOOOooo

I wanted to move there eventually :frown:
Some very openly racist people over there.
I was there last summer and travelled in Melbourne, Perth and Darwin/generally northern territories. I knew they had a bad rep but I didn't want to judge before experiencing it myself aaaaaand I was disappointed :/ Melbourne was fine, it's extremely multicultural, and the only hint of racism there was that the new anti-refugee-law thing was going through when I was there so I kept hearing public announcements about it and some discussion. I didn't see any racism in Perth but the NT were terrible. The vast majority were openly racist, generally towards the Aboriginals, but also towards anyone non-white.
It really shocked me, especially because I got to know those who were being racist and they were perfectly nice people otherwise. They also didn't seem to realise it was racist themselves which was sad/ironic.

Quick Reply