The Student Room Group

Background knowledge ....for med interview

Hi guys im having an MMI interview, do any of u know ho much background knowledge ill need on medicine, for example the history..THE NHS!..Qulaity control in the NHS.. Do i need to know all this ???
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Hi guys im having an MMI interview, do any of u know ho much background knowledge ill need on medicine, for example the history..THE NHS!..Qulaity control in the NHS.. Do i need to know all this ???

Even if you don't get asked about it at this particular interview, you should know it anyway because the NHS is where you will be working for the next 50 years (assuming it still exists by then).

So yes, you should have a general idea about what's going on in the NHS.
Reply 2
This is going to vary uni - uni, if there is a question on history of medicine it would be broad enough so that you should be able to answer it, for example, a turning point in medicine or a piece of medical research which you think is very important in history, but you should really be able to answer that if you're hoping to take up a place. When I did MMIs I made sure I read lots of newspaper articles about the NHS, I researched what I found interesting (both in the past and the present with regards to medical research), and read articles about budget of the NHS and standards etc.

I'm not saying you NEED to know any of these as it may all be irrelevant dependent on your interview but it's certainly not going to hurt to learn a few things is it? Or to keep up to date with current NHS/medical/research/ethical matters!
Original post by SSS_JJJ

What uni is this for ?
Reply 4
I have 19 days to prep is that enough! I'm so scared!
Reply 5
Original post by SSS_JJJ

yes, go get reading and talking to yourself
Reply 6
Original post by KA125
yes, go get reading and talking to yourself

Thank you! Can I ask you if you used any books ?
Original post by SSS_JJJ

19 days is after the ucas May deadline :lolwut:

What uni is this?
Have a few topics in mind that have been in the news recently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Miel Purple
19 days is after the ucas May deadline :lolwut:

What uni is this?

Uclan...
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Uclan...

Oh right, it's private and starting this year so it doesn't have gmc approval yet..35k per year :rofl:
Reply 11
Oh right, it's private and starting this year so it doesn't have gmc approval yet..35k per year :rofl:

Thanks for the information I already knew :smile:
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Thanks for the information I already knew :smile:

So why are you applying, what are you going to gain apart from an empty bank? Also where do they do clinicals? Since the Manchester medics go to Preston.
(edited 9 years ago)
I love how nowhere on the website does it mention that the degree is worthless.
I'm more disgusted with the fact that more and more private medical schools are cropping up and charging ludicrous fees which can only be affordable for the rich.

Medicine shouldn't be for the rich only!
Reply 15
I'm more disgusted with the fact that more and more private medical schools are cropping up and charging ludicrous fees which can only be affordable for the rich.

Its more aimed for international students, international students pay the same price at any other medical school anyway, so for internationals it doesn't really make a difference.
Reply 16

Don't forget most international students, probably wont practice here. I see your point though, that it is unfair for home students. They still need AAA at a level and the competition for internationals for home students is massive as they only allocate like 10 spaces, at other uni's. So in a nutshell I don't think its really unfair.
Reply 17
Original post by KA125
This is going to vary uni - uni, if there is a question on history of medicine it would be broad enough so that you should be able to answer it, for example, a turning point in medicine or a piece of medical research which you think is very important in history, but you should really be able to answer that if you're hoping to take up a place. When I did MMIs I made sure I read lots of newspaper articles about the NHS, I researched what I found interesting (both in the past and the present with regards to medical research), and read articles about budget of the NHS and standards etc.

I'm not saying you NEED to know any of these as it may all be irrelevant dependent on your interview but it's certainly not going to hurt to learn a few things is it? Or to keep up to date with current NHS/medical/research/ethical matters!

Thanks for putting all that effort into your answer:smile: Did they ask you any questions that you could expect in a formal interview, like strengths...weaknesses?
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Don't forget most international students, probably wont practice here. I see your point though, that it is unfair for home students. They still need AAA at a level and the competition for internationals for home students is massive as they only allocate like 10 spaces, at other uni's. So in a nutshell I don't think its really unfair.

What

Are you international?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending